Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 02:53 PM

15 posts, read 11,710 times

Advertisements

A lot of conservatives like Jack Kemp supported MLK

Old 01-16-2020, 04:05 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Does anybody really care? Btw, was King really a Rev?
Yes and yes. You haven't heard conservatives say how much they adored Dr. King?

Yes, Dr. King was past just ordination and seminary degree and had an earned Phd.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:10 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Yes and yes. You haven't heard conservatives say how much they adored Dr. King?

Yes, Dr. King was past just ordination and seminary degree and had an earned Phd.
Yes, but that won't stop the poster from making belittling but incorrect assumptions.

I wonder why?

Old 01-16-2020, 04:16 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovery of Ice View Post
A lot of conservatives like Jack Kemp supported MLK
Jack Kemp played football until about '66 and Dr. King died in '68. I didn't see Kemp on any picket lines but I did see Heston.

Kemp is like Rev. Billy Graham, god bless them both. They stood out like sore thumbs among conservatives because at least they were opposed to racial segregation. That's not saying a lot about conservatives.

The point is that conservatives and conservative black folks now will try to say how much the GOP is for minorities. When did this happen? Reagan started his political career opposing open housing and went on to oppose the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. Tim Scott, are you listening?

In 1960 a proposed plank for the Republican party convention was : "All Negroes should be sent back to Africa." This proposal was voted down but it shows it wasn't just strict Constitutionalists who were opposing civil rights.

So folks, when you see all those conservatives praising Dr. King on Monday, please ask them where they were when he could have used them.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:31 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
MLK would definitely fit into a conservative category today, regarding the principle that someone should be judged on the "content of character" rather than "color of skin". Dems are far too busy breaking us down into racial categories, and granting points for minority status.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:35 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:

The point is that conservatives and conservative black folks now will try to say how much the GOP is for minorities. When did this happen? Reagan started his political career opposing open housing and went on to oppose the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. Tim Scott, are you listening?...
So did Joe Biden at the time. ARE YOU listening? Here he is supporting the Jim Crow Southern Democrats.

Biden said two-party system in South was 'good for the Negro'

Old 01-16-2020, 04:46 PM

15 posts, read 11,710 times
Quote:
Jack Kemp played football until about '66 and Dr. King died in '68. I didn't see Kemp on any picket lines but I did see Heston.

Kemp is like Rev. Billy Graham, god bless them both. They stood out like sore thumbs among conservatives because at least they were opposed to racial segregation. That's not saying a lot about conservatives.

The point is that conservatives and conservative black folks now will try to say how much the GOP is for minorities. When did this happen? Reagan started his political career opposing open housing and went on to oppose the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. Tim Scott, are you listening?

In 1960 a proposed plank for the Republican party convention was : "All Negroes should be sent back to Africa." This proposal was voted down but it shows it wasn't just strict Constitutionalists who were opposing civil rights.

So folks, when you see all those conservatives praising Dr. King on Monday, please ask them where they were when he could have used them.

Yes, nowadays, some "progressives" support racial segregation such as the safe spaces nonsense.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
i watched a Hollywood round table commenting on 1963 march on Washington and included Heston and Brando as well as many blacks...made me wonder when Heston became a pro gun guru
After crossing the big country's Red Sea as Moses, Heston became a pro-gun guru to finite against some damn dirty apes because he thought it was both the greatest story every but also the greatest show on Earth.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:26 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
What qualifies one to be a Rev.? Or a doctor? https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...king-jr-doctor
Depends on the church - knowledge of the scriptures, and they prove this is their passion or calling. Some dominations require they go to seminary or theological college but not all. Milk earned hid doctorate in a univ from Boston and BA in theology etc at Crozer Seminary. In Pa.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:36 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
MLK Day discussion came up at my place of work. Right now we're a small group of all White mostly right leaning people. I was shocked when most of my co workers said they were offended that MLK day was a holiday and that people were being forced to celebrate it. I knew there was still an undercurrent of White Resentment but everywhere else I've worked no one would boldly state such an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies