Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 12:23 PM

13,985 posts, read 5,647,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know Americans are not more stupid than others. If others pay significantly less than us, then so can we.

Yesterday I explained how PBMs rake in hundreds of millions in profit out of thin air, and that is a good example where your "post office" saga pales in comparison. Their profits are paid by insurance companies, who pass the cost to their customers, which is us. They are one reason among many others why our system costs $3.5T today.

Single aspirin can cost $30 per pill in the E.R, so there is that. Its six times the price of a bottle of 100 pills. Maybe they used to work for DoD. I don't know.
What you describe is a monopoly price fixing power granted to them and protected by...??...??...anyone? Who gave the AHA their monopoly powers? Who protects them from competition? Who protects pharma monopolies from competition? Who makes sure only 1 MRI machine can serve an entire city, making that super limited supply jack up prices? Who creates all the certification schemes and guild membership regulations?

Everything about healthcare as it currently exists is based on government meddling and providing protected monopolies to their biggest donors. Every last thing. And you honestly believe giving them COMPLETE control will lower prices, when the entire industry is one massive kickback racket meant to make multimillionaires out of people who get paid $176k annually? You truly buy into that nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 12:26 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,168,054 times
Just call it a tax on the middle class. Liberals are all gung ho until they realize that all these social perks effect THEIR bottom line and they can't pass the buck on to somebody else.

Example. I live in Seattle and the property taxes are already going thru the roof. The average one bedroom apartment is hovering at around $1500 a month. People can barely afford to live here as it is. You get a point where there is no capacity to pay more taxes. Moderate Liberals are starting to figure this out and they are the ones that I almost feel sorry for because they essentially have no political platform that meets their needs. How and why do I know this? It's because 3/4 of my friends in Seattle fit this description. They are all aboard for helping others with social programs but they are discovering that the potential taxes etc will change their lives dramatically. Talk about a Catch 22. When social dreams travel from the heart to the pocketbook, it adds an entirely different perspective.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:31 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,581,322 times
My sister is in Illinois and paying 600/month just for her Medicare part B and necessary supplements. This won’t be affordable for many.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:36 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
And yet you can find no candidate who you can support who is willing to actually address this? Seriously?
They all say they they will address it (even Trump did), but as far as I am aware, the "medicare for all" would not address the issues like the PBM profit taking, it would only shift the burden, although even today the burden is passed onto the tax payer.

To be honest I have not even listened to them, because I know they'll say anything to survive the primaries. Maybe I will start listening once they are down to two candidates.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:40 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
What you describe is a monopoly price fixing power granted to them and protected by...??...??...anyone? Who gave the AHA their monopoly powers? Who protects them from competition? Who protects pharma monopolies from competition? Who makes sure only 1 MRI machine can serve an entire city, making that super limited supply jack up prices? Who creates all the certification schemes and guild membership regulations?

Everything about healthcare as it currently exists is based on government meddling and providing protected monopolies to their biggest donors. Every last thing. And you honestly believe giving them COMPLETE control will lower prices, when the entire industry is one massive kickback racket meant to make multimillionaires out of people who get paid $176k annually? You truly buy into that nonsense?
Who is a monopoly? The PBMs are not. The Pharma is not. PBM profits have nothing to do with the price the Pharma sells drugs. What the Pharma sells for $40, might end up profiting the PBMs $60.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:40 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,379,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
All it really is is his plan to make the undeserving rich pay their "fair share". Just like Gov. O'Malley did in Maryland. An upper class person making $31K/year can afford to help his fellow citizens.
Have you ever been to America?

Old 01-17-2020, 12:43 PM

13,985 posts, read 5,647,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They all say they they will address it (even Trump did), but as far as I am aware, the "medicare for all" would not address the issues like the PBM profit taking, it would only shift the burden, although even today the burden is passed onto the tax payer.

To be honest I have not even listened to them, because I know they'll say anything to survive the primaries. Maybe I will start listening once they are down to two candidates.
And they'll say essentially the same thing - a scheme that robs Peter to pay Paulie his tribute.

Not one of them ever comes close to explaining why costs are artificially high nor the ease with which the government could make them lower tomorrow by simply getting rid of all their regulatory barriers to competition that protects all the monopolies within the HC industry.

Not one Republican, not one Democrat. Nobody in government wants to shut down that feeding trough of easy kickbacks, so all they do is bleat and babble about how to shuffle the funding around to make it seem like you got a deal.

And when it gets down to 2, or even 1, you won't get an honest appraisal of why costs are insane, nor an actual policy of getting rid of those causes. You'll hear how a rich person with more money than you is why you don't have platinum level healthcare for free, and if you just vote for that person, well the evil rich person will be destroyed and you will have free healthcare forever.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:43 PM

52,315 posts, read 52,777,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
All it really is is his plan to make the undeserving rich pay their "fair share". Just like Gov. O'Malley did in Maryland. An upper class person making $31K/year can afford to help his fellow citizens.
You must be BS'ing here. LOL, sure you can't be serious with this post?

Old 01-17-2020, 01:04 PM

45,484 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You must be BS'ing here. LOL, sure you can't be serious with this post?
What? You don't agree that people making $31K/year are the undeserving rich? After all at that salary they're making above the living wage of $15/hour.

In real life, Martin O'Malley did make the statement, while advocating for higher income taxes, that a married couple making above $125K/year combined were the "undeserving rich".

What always strikes me with these threads is the almost total disconnect so many people have on what the median income in the US is. It's not as high as many believe.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:42 PM

2,923 posts, read 980,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
1200 a year is a bargain compared to what most people pay now for medical costs.
why on earth would you think the level of care would remain the same and your cost would drop to 1200 over night. There really is a sucker born every minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies