Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 06:00 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I was going to say -- OP has never been to Charleston WV...I have -- NO THANK YOU. I odn't care how much house you get for your money -- lol. It's not somewhere I've ever wanted to live....eek.
Having bento LA several times for work, I can say the same about the LA area. Crowded, crappy roads, dirty and full of bums living on the streets. I'll be visiting WV this summer on vacation looking for a possible retirement location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 06:14 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Random thoughts.

1) Im not all that anxious to live in Charleston or LA.
2) The unemployable are the unemployable regardless of location.
3) I looked at jobs available in Charleston. Not many that were professional or trades level or above. Mostly CS, call centers, and government. Interestingly I did see the median seems above the 8.75 state minimum wage. I saw lots of 10 and 11 dollars an hour.
4) If you had a job paying say 55K, you would unquestionably have a better material life in Charleston, the problem is the availability of 55K jobs there.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:28 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Renewables are many times dangerous as seen in the videos, they take away good jobs from miners and manufacturers.

I do like paper plates, plastic spoons and plastic or paper dishes. I can use them once and throw them out.
Solar panels and turbines are made by....wait for it.....manufacturers. I don`t want to burst anyone`s little snot bubble but coal isn`t coming back. I live in coal and natural gas country and no one wants coal with the exception of metallurgical coal that is mostly exported. Mining coal is not a "good job".

Old 01-28-2020, 11:24 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Charleston, WV sounds like the place to be.

Forget about moving to the Dakotas. That's not the land of milk and honey. West Virginia is where it's at.

Bon Voyage.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:01 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Random thoughts.

1) Im not all that anxious to live in Charleston or LA.
2) The unemployable are the unemployable regardless of location.
3) I looked at jobs available in Charleston. Not many that were professional or trades level or above. Mostly CS, call centers, and government. Interestingly I did see the median seems above the 8.75 state minimum wage. I saw lots of 10 and 11 dollars an hour.
4) If you had a job paying say 55K, you would unquestionably have a better material life in Charleston, the problem is the availability of 55K jobs there.
Excellent post. A lot of people don't take into consideration the lack of higher skilled jobs that are available. If you got one of those 55K jobs in Charleston, and then you get laid off, how long do you think it would take to find another comparable job? Probably quite a while.

I have no interest to live in either LA or Charleston. They both kind of suck IMO. I'm a liberal and I'm not a fan of LA, I don't like the desert, I appreciate the change of seasons, and I'm not a fan of the traffic or wildfires. I have never been down to Charleston, but I have been to WV plenty of times, there is really nothing to do there except for hunting and drugs. I would pass on both places easily, I'm cool with my liberal area that provides a high QOL.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:02 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
States like WV has lots of abandoned houses that homeless often occupy, so a large chunk of the homeless population is indeed out of sight. The fact that there is still so many tent cities in WV just shows how bad the situation is. My thinking is that homeless population in many red states is often under reported because they are not out on the streets. The real number is way worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQPI-iEgfDE

The video you posted is from McDowell County, WV, which is one of the poorest counties in America. It is NOT where Charleston is located. McDowell used to be highly dependent on coal, and it was devastated when the coal mines gave out. If you've ever seen the movie October Sky, it was set in that county. The actual town of Coalwood (the main setting for the movie) still has one functioning business remaining, a gas station/convenience store/deli. The people who run the shop are very friendly, and their french fries are quite good.

As a place to visit as a tourist, Los Angeles has got it all over Charleston. But as a place to live and raise a family, I'd take Charleston any day of the week.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:06 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Do I detect a wee bit of hate here?

Old 01-28-2020, 12:08 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You're also comparing a town of 49k to a city of 9 or 10 million. .
Actually, Charleston city is around 47k now (ugh) and its metro is around 212,000. (2019)

Los Angeles city is 4 million and the metro is around 13.1 million. (2019)

Just sayin' for clarification LOL, but I get your point.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:18 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Actually, Charleston city is around 47k now (ugh) and its metro is around 212,000. (2019)

Los Angeles city is 4 million and the metro is around 13.1 million. (2019)

Just sayin' for clarification LOL, but I get your point.
And Charleston has been losing population for decades. 85,796 people lived in Charleston in 1960. It went down to 47,215 by 2018.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
I don't think the OP has been to Charleston, WV.....and surely not lived there.
I've been there. It suxs.

Here is what I saw:
[vimeo]84007947[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/84007947
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies