Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 12:25 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I read it came from snakes. Too lazy to look it up right now, but I was talking with a friend about this the other day and did look it up then.

My husband was in China for about 10 days. He said everything was breaded and heavily disguised. He was happy to get into the cities and find a McDonald's.
It looks like the source is bat soup, or a snake that consumed a bat.
"Researchers say the virus spreading through China is in the same family as SARS and closest to one found in bats."
https://www.technologyreview.com/f/6...ts-not-snakes/

Old 01-26-2020, 12:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Some of these posts remind of the panic some felt during the Ebola crisis in 2014, so certain we were all doomed.

Unlike Ebola , this virus is easer to contract.

Unlike Ebola, this virus is no more harmful to most people than other virus strains.

Reportedly, 56 people in China have died from complications associated with the corona virus. 56 out of a population of 1.48 billion.

In the meantime, we seem to ignore 8000- 20,000 people have died from complications of other flu viruses, thus far this flu season, in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

Old 01-26-2020, 12:36 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
"Researchers say the virus spreading through China is in the same family as SARS and closest to one found in bats."
Maybe best to keep these snake/bat/rat people out of the county until this thing dies down.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:39 PM

Total deaths : 56
Total recovered : 49

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some of these posts remind of the panic some felt during the Ebola crisis in 2014, so certain we were all doomed.

Unlike Ebola , this virus is easer to contract.

Unlike Ebola, this virus is no more harmful to most people than other virus strains.

Reportedly, 56 people in China have died from complications associated with the corona virus. 56 out of a population of 1.48 billion.

In the meantime, we seem to ignore 8000- 20,000 people have died from complications of other flu viruses, thus far this flu season, in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
You need to stop this non sense for a change.

You need to follow Chinese media and see exactly how serious this issue really is.

You constantly downplay this issue, what is your motive?

If you don't think this is a serious issue, go to China.

Here is a video from a person living in wuhan, he took a risk of being arrested by the Chinese government, and he is telling the international community the truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TM2Smck0OU&t=331s

he's basically saying the situation is a lot worse than what the Chinese government cares to admit.
He's basically saying wuhan is a living hell right now. People drop dead on the street, and hospitals asking sick people to leave.

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is probably a wise idea. No need to play political correctness right now.

But there are a lot of international travelings, a lot of foreigners also came back from china. In my area, two white men just took their mail order brides from China home. I guess their wives are healthy, but don't expect me to visit them any time soon.

I also avoid public area as much as I could. My uncle (an emergency room doctor) told me that 1 confirmed case doesn't mean there is not an issue. There are many suspected cases, and very soon, we'd see more confirmed cases.
I think we will see the west coast of the US (CA and WA) get hit first because of the high percentage of people with connections to China, both familial and business.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:43 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think we will see the west coast of the US (CA and WA) get hit first because of the high percentage of people with connections to China, both familial and business.
Yes, I think we should take this issue very seriously.

For example, I tell all my friends to stop going to China. We should all do our part as responsible human being. We all need to face the truth and facts.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 01-26-2020 at 12:56 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe best to keep these snake/bat/rat people out of the county until this thing dies down.
It's too late. Canada has it's first presumptive case of a man who flew from Wuhan to Toronto. He was put in isolation upon arrival in Canada. Everyone on the plane has been asked to check in, but that could have been prevented if China had closed the borders sooner. Other passengers have now been in the Toronto area for a number of days and they probably feel fine.

If he infected other passengers on the plane, Canada's numbers should climb starting Jan 29 and into early February.

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
All viruses originate with birds or animals and mostly spread, person to person. Not all viruses are lethal to humans.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:45 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
It's too late. Canada has it's first presumptive case of a man who flew from Wuhan to Toronto. He was put in isolation upon arrival in Canada. Everyone on the plane has been asked to check in, but that could have been prevented if China had closed the borders sooner. Other passengers have now been in the Toronto area for a number of days and they probably feel fine.
It seems China is doing their part by closing down the cities in question. Can't blame them for lack of effort. Such approach would never fly in US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies