Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 03:43 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I forgot to mention that we tried 2 hardware stores, Walgreen's and Walmart Super Center (were running errands) and they were all sold out of N95 masks. It's not that they don't carry them, they all sold.
When I was at our hardware store this morning, I checked the aisle and they had them. The only person looking at them was an older Chinese man. Coincidence I'm sure. We already have a box of both N95's and surgical masks because I wear them when I mow the lawn. After getting hit with a piece of gravel, we have goggles too.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:44 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I don't know what to believe because there seems to be polarized views about the seriousness of the situation. Post-secondary institutions are looking at a contingency plan that includes closing institutions and teaching through video conferencing. I'm not sure what is needed to trigger that contingency plan.
You just have to watch and keep an open mind when viewing the data, also realize some reporting will be wrong. Also, the scientists don't know much yet. R1? R3? Fatality rate? No one knows yet, they are speculating based upon known data, and possibly missing data, etc.

Also why is there 2nd and 3rd generation spread in China, but not other locations? Or, is there, we just haven't caught them yet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-27-2020, 03:45 PM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times
Could be 30x higher video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZeKzqphlzM

Old 01-27-2020, 03:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I wish that were the case, but circumstances are proving otherwise.
In every single confirmed case outside of China, the people with the virus had traveled to Wuhan recently.

I don't really know what's going on in China but I do know that Wuhan is the epicenter of it.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What I heard from someone who has been in China in relation to sports is that the country is filthy, the food they eat is unhealthy, air quality is very poor, it is over crowded, and general healthy and safety is very poor. That is, it's not surprising that such an outbreak occurred in China, but first world countries shouldn't worry.
My husband worked for several years in China and traveled throughout the country extensively and he said it is filthy and very polluted. He said the people are very friendly though.

I know a couple who adopted a daughter there several years ago so they traveled there. The very first day, the wife was offered some chicken soup - and it had chicken feet floating in it and God only knows what else. They were there for two weeks and she lost ten pounds because the food was so dirty and strange and she was afraid to eat it. Now keep in mind that this is not a timid, fearful woman - but she told me over and over again that every time she'd think about eating something, she'd remember those chicken feet - WITH DIRTY NAILS - floating in her soup!

My son is married to a woman from Seoul, Korea - from a well to do family, very cosmopolitan and sophisticated in many ways. But he has called me several times over the years saying, "Mom. You will not believe what she is eating. Honestly...it's bizarre." Dried bugs and larvae, raw meat from the ocean, all sorts of stuff bought in open air markets - he said the smell is unbelievable.

(I know - Seoul isn't China. But something tells me much of China is worse.)

This is in like I said, a very cosmopolitan, First World city.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:56 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband worked for several years in China and traveled throughout the country extensively and he said it is filthy and very polluted. He said the people are very friendly though.

I know a couple who adopted a daughter there several years ago so they traveled there. The very first day, the wife was offered some chicken soup - and it had chicken feet floating in it and God only knows what else. They were there for two weeks and she lost ten pounds because the food was so dirty and strange and she was afraid to eat it. Now keep in mind that this is not a timid, fearful woman - but she told me over and over again that every time she'd think about eating something, she'd remember those chicken feet - WITH DIRTY NAILS - floating in her soup!

My son is married to a woman from Seoul, Korea - from a well to do family, very cosmopolitan and sophisticated in many ways. But he has called me several times over the years saying, "Mom. You will not believe what she is eating. Honestly...it's bizarre." Dried bugs and larvae, raw meat from the ocean, all sorts of stuff bought in open air markets - he said the smell is unbelievable.

(I know - Seoul isn't China. But something tells me much of China is worse.)

This is in like I said, a very cosmopolitan, First World city.
I used to walk through Chinatown in LA to get to work every morning. There were chicken feet lying on the sidewalks outside of the Chinese restaurants.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:58 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Wow, the WHO hasn't update their site since Jan 23rd. Makes you feel confident, doesn't it?

Old 01-27-2020, 03:58 PM

There have been five confirmed cases in the US. All - all - traveled recently to Wuhan.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:59 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I used to walk through Chinatown in LA to get to work every morning. There were chicken feet lying on the sidewalks outside of the Chinese restaurants.

An Asian friend took me to Dimsum in the San Francsico Bay area, I was horrified to see people sucking down on those chicken feet, of course the logical part of me says it is best to use the entire creature, if it is going to be slaughtered, but I never fancied chicken claws.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
An Asian friend took me to Dimsum in the San Francsico Bay area, I was horrified to see people sucking down on those chicken feet, of course the logical part of me says it is best to use the entire creature, if it is going to be slaughtered, but I never fancied chicken claws.
LOL my son sent me a photo of a package of them for sale in Guam. They called them "chicken paws." What the heck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies