Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 03:20 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
There are some similarities. People can get sick and die from the flu. We have become accustomed to the deaths because it is not as lethal.. but we still don't know how lethal this Corona virus is. It affects the lungs. There are bacteria and viral pheumonia that happen when people get the flu. They call it the corona virus because it has a crown , corona and they have to distinguish it from the regular flu. The scientists believe it can spread quickly and become a pandemic.

The 1918 pandemic that killed millions was called the Spanish Flu.
Anyone who mentions flu in a coronavirus thread should make it clear that flu and coronavirus are not the same illness, though symptoms can be similar. Do not use "flu" as a generic word for anyone with those symptoms. There are posters that are calling coronavirus "a flu". It is not.

They are not using corona to "distinguish it from the regular flu". It is an entirely different family of viruses altogether. The word corona was chosen when the virus was first identified and a name being applied.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I 'm not.. You are..
You're the one who asked me if I was playing "gotcha", when I responded to another poster. You're the one who said "we all talk in general terms". Well, no, we all don't. Some of us try for accuracy. You're the one who said this illness is similar to the flu, which it sounds like it is, but it's not the !@#$%^&*()_+ flu! You're the one who won't drop this, you brought up the "Spanish flu".

Old 01-29-2020, 03:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Why do so many fellow posters talk about flu?

Because that is what the Chinese government propaganda does. They said that in this season, about 8,500 people had died of flu in U.S. So they claimed that they are doing pretty good with the control of the new virus in China.

Such messages inundated most Chinese language new virus related forums.
Maybe. But some people use flu for a "catchall" term, too. A bad cold is "flu". Vomiting and diarrhea are "flu". Any disease with fever and aches is "flu".

Old 01-29-2020, 03:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are some posters in the threads about the coronavirus calling it "a flu". They really should not do that, since they are totally unrelated viruses. It is a not "a flu".

What some other posters are doing is pointing out that currently there are more cases of influenza and accordingly more deaths from it than from the new coronavirus. Despite that, we in the US do not wear masks during flu season and leave our homes with impunity. Schools and businesses do not close. Communities are not quarantined.
Who is calling the coronavirus the flu? I mean, both are viruses but the flu is not a coronavirus (there are many, most of which cause minor illnesses).

Just an aside note - schools and businesses HAVE closed around here (NE Texas) due to the flu, several times over the years. But yes, I agree with you that in spite of the many more deaths from the flu in the US than from coronaviruses (zero as of right now) we don't typically wear masks, though I have seen some people wearing them especially during flu season. I assumed they were probably immune-system challenged or some how more vulnerable, though probably more of us needed to be wearing masks!

Aside note, since taking Vitamin C (several years now), I haven't had the flu. But I also get flu shots - which apparently are sort of hit or miss. I also haven't had a lingering cold in years, which is nice.

I think that masks are more prevalent for whatever social reasons in Asia, but I also am skeptical of the severity of the disease in China too.

Time will tell.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:47 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Who is calling the coronavirus the flu? I mean, both are viruses but the flu is not a coronavirus (there are many, most of which cause minor illnesses).

Just an aside note - schools and businesses HAVE closed around here (NE Texas) due to the flu, several times over the years. But yes, I agree with you that in spite of the many more deaths from the flu in the US than from coronaviruses (zero as of right now) we don't typically wear masks, though I have seen some people wearing them especially during flu season. I assumed they were probably immune-system challenged or some how more vulnerable, though probably more of us needed to be wearing masks!

Aside note, since taking Vitamin C (several years now), I haven't had the flu. But I also get flu shots - which apparently are sort of hit or miss. I also haven't had a lingering cold in years, which is nice.

I think that masks are more prevalent for whatever social reasons in Asia, but I also am skeptical of the severity of the disease in China too.

Time will tell.
I am not going to look for specific posts but there have been some where the poster seems to be using "flu" as a generic term, like "cold".

Old 01-29-2020, 03:54 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're the one who asked me if I was playing "gotcha", when I responded to another poster. You're the one who said "we all talk in general terms". Well, no, we all don't. Some of us try for accuracy. You're the one who said this illness is similar to the flu, which it sounds like it is, but it's not the !@#$%^&*()_+ flu! You're the one who won't drop this, you brought up the "Spanish flu".
Still wind up huh?

Old 01-29-2020, 03:59 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Why do so many fellow posters talk about flu?

Because that is what the Chinese government propaganda does. They said that in this season, about 8,500 people had died of flu in U.S. So they claimed that they are doing pretty good with the control of the new virus in China.

Such messages inundated most Chinese language new virus related forums.
Officially China government never said they "are doing pretty good". Conspiracy theory against China government is overwhelming, on the other hand, especially in Hong Kong and overseas Chinese communities.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:01 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
So if and when this flu hits the US what are people going to do?

Old 01-29-2020, 04:10 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
So if and when this flu hits the US what are people going to do?

die

Old 01-29-2020, 04:15 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Looks to be leveling off. We probably are seeing the end of the initial infection surge from those at the market.
2:00 pm EST is the middle of the night in China. I’d pay more attention to the trend of the 11:00 pm EST numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies