Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 02:01 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,096,567 times

Advertisements

My job can be done from home. I literally do not have to be there to get work done.

My commute rn is almost an hr and unfortunately the train doesn’t head in that direction.

But I do like being out of the house. My only gripe is that the day is over as soon as I get home...

Old 01-18-2020, 02:02 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,207,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Econ 101: If you want to buy something (like labor) you have to pay the market price. If you can't find a seller, you need to increase your offer until you do.

They're not lazy. You're cheap.

They don't want to learn new skill. They don't want to move to where the jobs are. They just want to work in one industry doing the same routine over and over from the day they enter the workforce to the day they retire.

Hillary has a job training program that'd improve their skill and let them land higher wage new tech jobs, but they opt for the guy who promised to keep dying industry with declining pay and high unemployment.

That's laziness (and dumbness).

Old 01-18-2020, 02:02 PM

22,356 posts, read 11,886,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Agreed. When I was working I’m construction, all the hard workers were immigrants and they did it with good attitude and a smile. Few Americans willing to work these jobs and the ones who do don’t even want to be there and complain all the time. We are spoiled and entitled in this country. We need to make it easier for hard working immigrants to get in this country, we need their hard work and entrepreneurial spirit.
So much BS in one post.

Are these workers you speak of "immigrants" or illegal aliens? There is a big difference between the two so stop trying to blur the lines.

Of course illegals don't complain. If they do, they are a dime a dozen and easily replaced. They also put up with being paid p*ss poor wages and unsafe working conditions. Don't believe it? I was talking to a man who is a construction supervisor. We were getting our house renovated to put it on the market. When we told him what builder built our house 20 years ago, he was shocked. Back then, all the construction workers were Americans. Most of them lived the next state over and would come here for the summer because they needed the work. Fast forward to today---that same builder is using illegals to build their homes and the work is shoddy. The construction supervisor and his wife had bought a townhouse built by the same builder. He said every time he visits the site, he is constantly finding shoddy work and having to demand it gets fixed. Since he is fully bilingual, he would talk to the illegals who worked there. One told him that he got 10 cents per sheet of drywall he hung. Another said he got $100 per every 3 townhouses he spray painted. The construction supervisor asked one of the illegals why he puts up with poor wages and poor working conditions. The illegal said if he quit his job, there would be 2 dozen waiting to take it.

Sleazy subcontractors in the construction industries have put honest contractors out of business. Honest contractors pay a fair wage, pay all their taxes and carry insurance. Sleazy contractors pay under the table. How can the honest contractor compete with that when placing a bid?

Old 01-18-2020, 02:12 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,700,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So much BS in one post.

Are these workers you speak of "immigrants" or illegal aliens? There is a big difference between the two so stop trying to blur the lines.

Of course illegals don't complain. If they do, they are a dime a dozen and easily replaced. They also put up with being paid p*ss poor wages and unsafe working conditions. Don't believe it? I was talking to a man who is a construction supervisor. We were getting our house renovated to put it on the market. When we told him what builder built our house 20 years ago, he was shocked. Back then, all the construction workers were Americans. Most of them lived the next state over and would come here for the summer because they needed the work. Fast forward to today---that same builder is using illegals to build their homes and the work is shoddy. The construction supervisor and his wife had bought a townhouse built by the same builder. He said every time he visits the site, he is constantly finding shoddy work and having to demand it gets fixed. Since he is fully bilingual, he would talk to the illegals who worked there. One told him that he got 10 cents per sheet of drywall he hung. Another said he got $100 per every 3 townhouses he spray painted. The construction supervisor asked one of the illegals why he puts up with poor wages and poor working conditions. The illegal said if he quit his job, there would be 2 dozen waiting to take it.

Sleazy subcontractors in the construction industries have put honest contractors out of business. Honest contractors pay a fair wage, pay all their taxes and carry insurance. Sleazy contractors pay under the table. How can the honest contractor compete with that when placing a bid?

Then why are you not blaming the sleazy contractor rather than the immigrant who is very poor and taking whatever chance he has? Sure, blame the outsider while leaving the native American out of the argument. Again, people with higher incomes, the know-how and resources know how to get around the laws and rules.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,609,185 times
America is one of few countries where nationalism is frowned on. Most countries I visit have national pride, you may say they are racists but they don't care they rather take care of their own first and help immigrants last. In America, I've seen companies do whatever they can to make immigrants feel welcomed as long as they do the job given to them and the managers are celebrating their bonuses at the expense of American workers.

Hey, get American workers to train their cheaper replacements. That's the new American way. However recently this has some karma to it because more and more immigrants have elevated above Americans. Now those American managers have to report to their new immigrant boss. What comes around goes around.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:27 PM

35,565 posts, read 20,909,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What utter BS! Most Americans are not lazy and will work for a fair wage!
Not anymore. They are not loyal. We taught the kids of today - never ever trust a company or corporation. They use you and when you making headway - they will farm your job to India - hire illegals at a lower wage, cut you when you making too much and hire a new kid at a lower wage, cut your insurance and benefits and minimize promotions and increases.
They saw their parents lose jobs - get laid off and restructured. There’s no loyalty and the newer generation was told to get better more prestigious jobs - never ever dig a ditch kid or pull strawberries for $.50 a bushel !

Old 01-18-2020, 02:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,182,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I’m not even talking about Mexico. I’m talking about sponsored positions. Like in tech.
Which the overly cheap H1B snatch up.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:39 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,997,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Immigration. Hot button issue, everyone blames immigrations for all of our problems. If only we stopped immigration, we would have a beautiful country full of Americans prospering. Except, ah, you kind of have that now. Americans continue to get richer and have a high quality of life seemingly yearly. Enjoying some of the best infrastructure in the world, and having far more options than easily 80% of the world. Even the poorest Americans are still amongst the 70% richest in the world. Yet when you come to online forums, it’s doom and gloom. America is dying, we’re poor, we’re going broke. My favorite is “the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer”. Except we don’t have any poor in America, and the rich are just sustaining wealth.

See the reality is there are jobs being created daily. All over the country. So many new and innovative people are leaving their corporate jobs and starting businesses. Many times to great success. It has even forced the big corporate jobs to start stepping up its game. And we are seeing a plethora of companies innovating and trying new things. And we’re seeing so much wealth being generated. There is only one problem. No workers. We can’t find people to actually work these jobs. Job requirements remain un-filled for month on end. Sometimes it can take 5 to 8 months to fill a position.

Yet there are no job. The reality is this, there are jobs. But Americans don’t want to take them, because they are lazy. So companies hands have been forced. They’ve had to augment their staff with Visa sponsorships, because they literally can’t even have a team without them. And this is no benefit to the company. Visa sponsorships is messy business, requiring a ton of paperwork for the worker, and the volatility that they can just be randomly sent back to their home country. Trust me, large corporations would love to hire Americans. But the reality is, Americans don’t even apply for these jobs most of the time.

So those of us in these jobs are sitting here working 14 hours days to hit deadlines. Because we are all working to try to hit company goals and targets. As the market is moving fast. So where are all of the Americans?

Well they’re begging the government to keep protect their factory jobs. Jobs that have no business even existing anymore. They don’t want to leave their home town, so they want the government to protect the underperforming and nearly dead factory or coal mine in the town. So they don’t have to learn anything new, or travel, or get out of their comfort zone. It’s all about being comfortable. And you can’t be rich by being comfortable.

So next time you want to blame someone, look in the mirror. Immigration is the reason these companies can do anything at all.
The bold is 100% BS, and I have first hand knowledge of it. Companies want to pay less, period. If you offer enough pay, you get the candidates. You want to pay $35K for computer programmers, you get them out of Indian sourcing companies. I'm not sure who the people are who keep spreading these lies.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:44 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,573,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Which the overly cheap H1B snatch up.
They're actually not all that cheap. When you consider all of the paperwork that is involved. Plus there is a lot more headache not making sure that their visas don't expire, but it's a dice roll when they go on vacation back to their counties. Oftentimes they can't come back and could be missing for months while sorting out customs issues. I see it a ton. Overall it end up costing more than just hiring an American who has overall less issues with working status and has less legal baggage

Old 01-18-2020, 02:51 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,573,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The bold is 100% BS, and I have first hand knowledge of it. Companies want to pay less, period. If you offer enough pay, you get the candidates. You want to pay $35K for computer programmers, you get them out of Indian sourcing companies. I'm not sure who the people are who keep spreading these lies.
I've interviewed for tech positions for at least 4 to 5 years. 1 talent overseas is actually not that cheap. This is a myth. You may be able to save a few dollars on base salary. But you end up paying more for visas sponsorships and renewals. H1B talent also gets poached more. Got a cousin who wants to open an Indian Restaraunt in Chennai? They're going back. Or culturally they may be the one in the family who has to quit their job and take care of their parents. Not to mention many have issues with customs and get trapped in Asia often not being able to return for several months. And VPN connections are flakey there. Plus depending on industry sometimes a company can't even allow foreign countries on the network, meaning they have to be on US shores to do the work.

90% of the candidates I've had to interview to join my teams have been foreign born. The American talent who show up to these interviews is few and far between. And the money companies have been willing to pay has been handsome. But Americans are not applying. And the ones who do are so insanely underqualified, that you almost want to laugh them out of the office. There is elite American talent, but most of them are so in demand that they never have issues finding work. Many are never on the market more than a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.