Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 04:50 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovery of Ice View Post
Former Democratic presidential candidate Julian Castro had a policing plan.....it might be a Warren-Castro ticket....

https://issues.juliancastro.com/people-first-policing/
Holding Police accountable is a local issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 04:51 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Why didnt dems end the war on drugs when they had a chance?

Old 01-18-2020, 04:58 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,722,080 times
Quote:
Former Democratic presidential candidate Julian Castro had a policing plan.....it might be a Warren-Castro ticket....

I actually like a lot of those ideas. That’s a great template for starting down that road. I just don’t think it’s the Feds who should be enforcing that; it’s really local, county, and state agencies who will need to update their M&P books.

Not having a law enforcement background, I also have no idea if any of those ideas, such as requiring LEOs to allow a certain amount of time for compliance by a suspect, would end up putting said LEOs in unfairly compromising positions.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:03 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,650,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Is this written in the Constitution?

Old 01-18-2020, 05:14 PM

15 posts, read 11,706 times
Quote:
https://www.politico.com/story/2014/...ootings-113329

It is the right of the federal government to intervene, especially the DOJ when police departments cannot function and do their job---

Old 01-18-2020, 05:20 PM

15 posts, read 11,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Is this written in the Constitution?
It is the right of the federal government to intervene, especially the DOJ when police departments cannot function and do their job---

Old 01-18-2020, 05:27 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Should the next Democratic presidents have a major overhaul of local police departments regarding police brutality and police accountability......I appreciate what cops do, but some of them act like judge, jury and executioneeer and they do have to realize that they are suppose to protect and serve....

Some Republicans don't believe that police brutality exists....

The President has no Constitutional authority to do so.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:27 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,722,080 times
Quote:
The question is, should they? I am ok with them coming down on individual departments in the most extreme cases, but just as I feel things like No Child Left Behind made marginal local education districts worse, I think a Fed intervention might put police in a lurch. Yes, LE agencies DO need to modernize and take constructive actions to serve people better. I’m excited that there’s energy nationwide behind this, better late than never, I suppose. But I don’t think the Feds should be imposing that.

Old 01-18-2020, 06:05 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,399 times
Quote:
What does a POTUS, any POTUS, have to do with very local Police Departments?
Thank you !!!

Unless they are in violation the the US Constitution, nothing....

Old 01-19-2020, 08:03 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:

He lost me at this point.
“If police in Charleston, South Carolina can arrest Dylann Roof after he murdered nine people worshipping at Bible study, without hurting him,” he said in January, “then don’t tell me that Michael Brown, and Tamir Rice, and Aiyana Jones, and Eric Garner, and Jason Pero, and Stephon Clark, and Sandra Bland shouldn’t still be alive today, too.”
All this illustrates is that surrendering to police and allowing yourself to be taken without a fight allows you to live long enough to be tried by a court at law. I agree that Tamil Rice and Eric Garner should still be alive today, not sure who Aiyana Jones or Jason Pero are, but Michael Brown and Stephon Clark contributed to their own deaths, and Sandra Bland would be alive and teaching college today if she had not taken her own life.

And then you get to the meat of his proposal and the National policing standards he wants to propose would be disastrous. It’s not impossible to come out of a police encounter with your life intact, but Castro’s way would ensure that police encounters end with taking the lives of police, and pretty soon no one would take the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies