Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 02:45 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think the number is a lot higher than 6%. This is a breakdown by state, and no state had a percentage of household with internet higher than 94%. Arkansas only has 71%. But even Massachusetts (smaller state, more wired, wealthier, and more educated), didn't quite make 86%.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/...t17_702.60.asp

How many people in the US have no Internet?

Notwithstanding this progress, the Report finds that approximately 19 million Americans—6 percent of the population—still lack access to fixed broadband service at threshold speeds. In rural areas, nearly one-fourth of the population —14.5 million people—lack access to this service.

https://www.fcc.gov/www.fcc.gov › reports-research › reports › eighth-broadband-progress-r...

I phrased it that way because there is a difference between how many use it, and how have access to it.

But either way, and with the variation in numbers, most of the population can learn to cook via internet.

Not all, but a lot, enough where I don't think it pertains to the thread topic of people being unable to cook.

And while you and I are putting forth a good faith effort to quantify the issue, keep in mind..... the OP didn't. They just posted an interesting article, and then made it seem like the end of American culture, and I disagree with that general premise.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 02:57 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
The only homecooking I do is nuking stuff with a microwave, that probably doesn't count. I certainly do my share of eating out, a lot..mostly sushi. yum.
Buy from your local grocery store's deli. they make home cooked food, and you can toss it in the frig and nuke it. It's better than buying the frozen processed foods in the TV dinner isle. Yuck!

Old 01-21-2020, 03:06 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The report that Americans are eating at home more is terribly misleading, they're getting finished food from the grocery or nearly prepared food.

When I lived with my parents they always home cooked meals with fresh ingredients because that is what Iranians did, but today Americans don't want to dedicate the time and energy in preparing their meals and don't care about life values.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...dinner/599770/

It seems America has been on the decline for quite some time. Will it ever end? Or will America be doomed for the next 100,000 years?

Now moral value comes from getting a job at Amazon and not caring about anyone/anything else.

Liberals who are supposedly the left wing voters are incredibly ambitious people who think its a dog eat dog world.

Whoever can't compete in the job market deserves to die, and all labor most be offshore.

Isn't that right guys? You are the people that elected Paul Ryan, Barack Obama, and the entire upper-echelon of American society to lecture people about the value of a globalized society where money rules.

I hope you're happy. Congratulations you have won.
Michelle Obama tried to get school lunches to include more fruits and veggies. Trump just recinded the program.

Personally, I cook at home almost exclusively, and in the summer I eat what I grow. I may eat out once or twice a month.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:14 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
We cook our meals: fresh vegetables and meats. I don't enjoy cooking and am a very basic cook, but we know what we are eating when we buy and cook our own food.

eating out is rare, maybe once a month, and reserved for special cuisine we don't know how to make at home.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-21-2020 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-21-2020, 03:27 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Well, I know I'm sick of cooking. I did it for years and it was pretty darn good. Now, I can go to Sprouts or Whole Foods for healthy meals. Still love my own garden veggies though.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I admit I haven't read the whole thread so maybe I am repeating what someone else said, but one thing that has been very helpful to my husband and me (we don't really enjoy cooking every. single. day.) is Blue Apron, which delivers just enough fresh ingredients for two people per meal right to our doorstep.

The amazing thing is that it really does save us money in the long run. For one thing, we waste a LOT less food. And it's easier to cook with smaller portions. When our kids were young, I got used to cooking sort of "en masse" and this just works out really well for us.

The food is fresh and healthy overall.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:22 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,560 times
Quote:
It's about the society Americans have chosen for themselves, the value of money and globalization over culture and community has lead to this culinary deficit where people are more dedicated to their out of home work to their family labor.

It is a sign of decline in America. Power and greed is all people care about today, easier to buy a wrap from the grocery store than build your own social society with shared ingredients and recipes.

Buying into the cosmopolitan fusion industry which is global does not count as cultural ties.
As I've read your posts, Winterfall, I've come to believe that what you're longing for is the closeness of hearth & home, in which food preparation and family meals are a fundamental part of bonding. This is perfectly understandable. That said, you lose me when you tie cooking to morality.

Meals -- what comprises them, who prepares them, how & when they are served, and who is invited to partake of them -- strike at the very core of our need for acceptance and affiliation. Our meal traditions signify our membership in all sorts of groups, from our religion to our ethnic origins to our socioeconomic status to our political leanings.

Cooking a big pot of beans and serving it with cornbread reminds me of my maternal grandparents, who were southern and extremely frugal. A Thanksgiving turkey, cranberry sauce, oyster stuffing, and Parker House rolls brings to mind my paternal grandparents, whose roots were in the Northeast. When I serve Christmas dinner and my mother-in-law brings roasted parsnips & rutabagas, mince pies, and [URL="https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/crackers.shtml"]Christmas Crackers[/URL], I'm reminded that my husband's family is English.

Chili is big in my family, and we eat several different styles of it. Because I am originally from the Midwest, I grew up eating Cincinnati chili, which is served on spaghetti with cheese and oyster crackers. Texas chili is something else entirely, which I learned when we moved west and soon adopted. When my eldest became a vegetarian as a middle schooler, I transitioned to yet another recipe that uses beans instead of meat, and that's the recipe I use most frequently to this day.

What I'm saying is...I get that food is a social and cultural signifier. What I don't understand is how you have come to associate it with morality. Valuing a home-cooked meal as an expression of love and inclusion does not mean that a family gathering around the dinner table for take-out pizza or a grocery store frozen lasagna is lacking in ties to each other or their community. I further reject that a single person who chooses to eat a microwave dinner because it's the most efficient option for a meal is immoral.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:39 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
As I've read your posts, Winterfall, I've come to believe that what you're longing for is the closeness of hearth & home, in which food preparation and family meals are a fundamental part of bonding. This is perfectly understandable. That said, you lose me when you tie cooking to morality.

Meals -- what comprises them, who prepares them, how & when they are served, and who is invited to partake of them -- strike at the very core of our need for acceptance and affiliation. Our meal traditions signify our membership in all sorts of groups, from our religion to our ethnic origins to our socioeconomic status to our political leanings.

Cooking a big pot of beans and serving it with cornbread reminds me of my maternal grandparents, who were southern and extremely frugal. A Thanksgiving turkey, cranberry sauce, oyster stuffing, and Parker House rolls brings to mind my paternal grandparents, whose roots were in the Northeast. When I serve Christmas dinner and my mother-in-law brings roasted parsnips & rutabagas, mince pies, and Christmas Crackers, I'm reminded that my husband's family is English.

Chili is big in my family, and we eat several different styles of it. Because I am originally from the Midwest, I grew up eating Cincinnati chili, which is served on spaghetti with cheese and oyster crackers. Texas chili is something else entirely, which I learned when we moved west and soon adopted. When my eldest became a vegetarian as a middle schooler, I transitioned to yet another recipe that uses beans instead of meat, and that's the recipe I use most frequently to this day.

What I'm saying is...I get that food is a social and cultural signifier. What I don't understand is how you have come to associate it with morality. Valuing a home-cooked meal as an expression of love and inclusion does not mean that a family gathering around the dinner table for take-out pizza or a grocery store frozen lasagna is lacking in ties to each other or their community. I further reject that a single person who chooses to eat a microwave dinner because it's the most efficient option for a meal is immoral.
The family that shares a take-out pizza may be morally sound, but it reinforces economic and social institutions that are detrimental to our society.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:40 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,560 times
Quote:
The family that shares a take-out pizza may be morally sound, but it reinforces economic and social institutions that are detrimental to our society.
How so?

Old 01-21-2020, 04:59 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,653,525 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies