Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 03:44 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The report that Americans are eating at home more is terribly misleading, they're getting finished food from the grocery or nearly prepared food.

When I lived with my parents they always home cooked meals with fresh ingredients because that is what Iranians did, but today Americans don't want to dedicate the time and energy in preparing their meals and don't care about life values.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...dinner/599770/

It seems America has been on the decline for quite some time. Will it ever end? Or will America be doomed for the next 100,000 years?

Now moral value comes from getting a job at Amazon and not caring about anyone/anything else.

Liberals who are supposedly the left wing voters are incredibly ambitious people who think its a dog eat dog world.

Whoever can't compete in the job market deserves to die, and all labor most be offshore.

Isn't that right guys? You are the people that elected Paul Ryan, Barack Obama, and the entire upper-echelon of American society to lecture people about the value of a globalized society where money rules.

I hope you're happy. Congratulations you have won.
You're Iranian today? Ok.

You make a great case for all the people across the world who hate you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 04:29 AM

4,902 posts, read 2,056,126 times
I work 8-9 hours a day, with 1.5 hours in traffic, my friend works the same and has a 1 hour commute to work.

We’re guilty of not cooking from scratch since we spend our time doing other things like... Living and enjoying life, so in the OP’s eyes, we’re a couple of Evil Americans and the cause of all global issues.

On the weekends, she will cook from scratch and is a fine cook. And more important, a fine American... Like me, a U.S. Army combat veteran.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:03 AM

934 posts, read 402,707 times
Dear Winterfall, you seem to have pissed off a lot of people here. No soup for you!

On a more serious note, what were you referring to - that many Americans avoid cooking or just that their main meal might be a far cry from a full-course meal?

Old 01-19-2020, 06:18 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I'm eating healthier than ever and encourage family friends to do the same but not as much success there.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:45 AM

4,030 posts, read 2,715,223 times
I never ate out a lot (simply too expensive to do too often). I probably could afford to now, but I've taken to cooking properly in the past few years--in the past, most of what I ate was pre-packaged heat-and-eat stuff (canned soups, frozen dinners, such as that.)

I tend to be careful in what I select to make, because being single, it means whatever I make, I'll likely be eating quite a bit of over the next week. But my favorites are: Chili (I just recently made a batch, there is nothing like the smell of chili simmering all day long), gazpacho, cream of herb soup (I actually won a minor competition with this recipe), spinach and blue cheese soup, red beans and rice with andouille sausage, leek and potato soup, and there was a black bean soup recipe that I loved, but I misplaced it.

A friend of mine went shopping with me while she was visiting from out of town and was amused that I was talking to the vegetables that I was selecting for chili...."You get to be dinner....you get to be dinner...."

Still have no idea what cooking has to do with politics, though.....

Old 01-19-2020, 08:02 AM

88,998 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I never ate out a lot (simply too expensive to do too often). I probably could afford to now, but I've taken to cooking properly in the past few years--in the past, most of what I ate was pre-packaged heat-and-eat stuff (canned soups, frozen dinners, such as that.)

I tend to be careful in what I select to make, because being single, it means whatever I make, I'll likely be eating quite a bit of over the next week. But my favorites are: Chili (I just recently made a batch, there is nothing like the smell of chili simmering all day long), gazpacho, cream of herb soup (I actually won a minor competition with this recipe), spinach and blue cheese soup, red beans and rice with andouille sausage, leek and potato soup, and there was a black bean soup recipe that I loved, but I misplaced it.
That happens with empty nest-ers and childless couples, as well. Neither of us mind several rounds of leftovers, thank goodness. Sorry about your misplaced recipe. I've done that, but loved it so much that I recreated it the best I could from memory. It helped that I made it so many times over the years.

Quote:
A friend of mine went shopping with me while she was visiting from out of town and was amused that I was talking to the vegetables that I was selecting for chili...."You get to be dinner....you get to be dinner...."
I absolutely LOVE that!
Quote:
Still have no idea what cooking has to do with politics, though.....
I don't get it, either. Everyone eats. Many people cook. That cuts across ALL demographic lines... political, socioeconomic level, race/ethnicity, relationship status, etc., etc.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:25 AM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
Wide ranging generalizations about a country as vast and populated as the USA are bound to be false, especially without statistical evidence. Sure, we can say that many people in the USA eat out often, or eat meals at home that come out of a box or container. We can say the same about many countries. But many people like me eat out only occasionally, and consume almost no food that comes pre-cooked or prepared, out of a box or container.

I walk to the grocery store and buy primarily fresh fruit and veggies, and other natural non-prepared foods like eggs, fish, poultry, grains. Sure, many of these items are sold in packaging with a bar code, but I cook them myself from their original raw form. Right now, the only thing in my freezer are a package of frozen tilapia filets and a bag of green peas. I have no canned foods in my apartment.

BTW, when I lived in Orange County, CA, my favorite grocery store of all time was the Mission Ranch Market, owned by a very successful and hard working Iranian American family. Best quality fresh fruits and veggies at great low prices, along with countless middle eastern and Persian products not available at most big stores. Although you could often hear Farsi spoken in the store, it was a popular store with all sorts of people in the area, not just Iranian Americans.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:33 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
The report that Americans are eating at home more is terribly misleading, they're getting finished food from the grocery or nearly prepared food.

When I lived with my parents they always home cooked meals with fresh ingredients because that is what Iranians did, but today Americans don't want to dedicate the time and energy in preparing their meals and don't care about life values.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...dinner/599770/

It seems America has been on the decline for quite some time. Will it ever end? Or will America be doomed for the next 100,000 years?

Now moral value comes from getting a job at Amazon and not caring about anyone/anything else.

Liberals who are supposedly the left wing voters are incredibly ambitious people who think its a dog eat dog world.

Whoever can't compete in the job market deserves to die, and all labor most be offshore.

Isn't that right guys? You are the people that elected Paul Ryan, Barack Obama, and the entire upper-echelon of American society to lecture people about the value of a globalized society where money rules.

I hope you're happy. Congratulations you have won.
Aren't we the self-righteous little prig.

Funny, my parents always cooked home cooked meals with fresh ingredients as well. AND........I always cook home cooked meals with fresh ingredients to this day, in spite of none of us being Iranian.

As for life values, you may want to refrain from making broad statements regarding that. Most Muslims don't have a great track record on life values. Just sayin'.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:34 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Everything is political, its just a matter of perspective.

Anyways the reason Americans want easy to prepare food is because a) modern economic living methods and b) apathy/loneliness/greed

I mean, since everyone here is going to claim they make home cooked meals all the time, what recipes do you use?

Iranians have a long list of meals that they learned how to cook from a young age, with original takes.

Now without pre-prepared food, what type of stuff do Americans make, because I don't see any of it.
Probably because your view is being blocked by your anti-American glasses.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:39 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Tell me about these home cooked meals everyone is making.

Americans don't have traditional recipes/methods, and I doubt any of you try to creatively make your own meals.
Well this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Like we don't have recipes passed down from generation to generation or our Mother's favorite dessert, etc. Hell, I still have recipes from my best friends' mother that I use.

Pfffft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies