Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 06:11 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm hoping that you haven't convinced yourself that California is the only state with a drug addiction problem...
No, I'm not naïve. But I'm done living in a state that invites them and caters to them at the expense of law-abiding, hard-working citizens. I'll take my educated chances in a read state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 06:12 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-310 View Post
no sympathy for pathetic idiots who claimed it’s my body. Okay, tough crap. They put themselves in that position.
+1

Old 02-14-2020, 08:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's a half assed and disgusting program. This does nothing if addicts are allowed to roam freely on the streets and makes life worse for EVERYONE. I guess CA think if you can't beat them, join them. Or at least learn to live with them.
A big part of the problem is many of the people don't dispose of the used needles properly. They just leave them where ever they want. This includes on sidewalks in front of people's homes, on their front lawns, parks, even on the sand at Santa Monica beach, not far from the pier. They shoot up openly, day and night, in front of all, then toss the needle.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:16 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Just out of curiosity...with ALL these needles lying around, in ALL these city streets, sidewalks, playgrounds, etc...does anyone know how many people have been harmed, or caught something from the dirty needles? I cannot recall hearing of any around here, but surely with the sheer amount of dirty needles lying around, its got to be 1000s of people getting sick or catching something?

Old 02-14-2020, 10:57 PM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
giving addicts free needles does not make people go out and shoot dope, where'd you get that idea from, Nancy Reagan?
It enables drug users to continue using with free needles. It doesn't help them.
Tax payers shouldn't pay a dime for that program.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:24 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
No, I'm not naïve. But I'm done living in a state that invites them and caters to them at the expense of law-abiding, hard-working citizens. I'll take my educated chances in a read state.
Where you gonna go? Needle exchanges are now legal in 28 states and GOP lawmakers in Florida, Missouri, Iowa and Arizona have introduced bills to legalize needle programs in their states as well, according to a report from Kaiser Health News. This is not a matter of inviting addicts or catering to them. Addicts are present in every state. You clearly are opposed to the idea of giving them clean needles, I guess you don't know that in most states you can buy hypodermic syringes over the counter? The problem is that an addict without money will share needles rather than buy new ones which can lead to hepatitis or HIV both of which are costly to treat, and those costs will be borne by law-abiding, hard-working citizens.

It's not about catering to addicts, it's about harm reduction.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
It enables drug users to continue using with free needles. It doesn't help them.
Tax payers shouldn't pay a dime for that program.
You can buy them over the counter in almost every state. What the heck..do you also think that outlawing liquor kept people from drinking?

Old 02-14-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
A big part of the problem is many of the people don't dispose of the used needles properly. They just leave them where ever they want. This includes on sidewalks in front of people's homes, on their front lawns, parks, even on the sand at Santa Monica beach, not far from the pier. They shoot up openly, day and night, in front of all, then toss the needle.
That's definitely a problem but it's one could be significantly reduced by installing syringe disposal units in public places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies