Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 03:11 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,350,543 times

Advertisements

Please watch the video(s).

https://www.facebook.com/roxanne.for...0959419605866/

This morning, a young lady in Butte County, California decided to go to the local free Needle Distribution Program that's held every Sunday, in a local park. She's not a drug addict or participant of the program; she wanted to know what the process was like.

At the distribution site, they gave her and handout free needles and a bunch of other items, likely costly Narcan, to aide people in injecting drugs into their bodies.

Notice, the program is not a Needle Exchange program, which would require participants to bring and give their used needles in exchange for new needles. Nope, distribution programs just give drug addicts a bunch of needles and other items to help and incentivize them to continue to violate many laws in California.

FYI: in crazy California, it's called a "Harm Reduction" Program, which translates into "Free Needles for Junkies."

This is an example of our (my) tax dollars at work. I helped pay for all of the free stuff that program gives to people who inject illegal substances into their bodies, most of whom don't work. I also work to make sure they have all sorts of other "necessities" (all free) in their lives, e.g., Obama phone, SSI, Medicaid, Medicare, free food/Food Stamps, free clothing, shelters that feed and shelter them, counseling and the list goes on and on.

To think I work hard and long hours to support people injecting illegal, controlled substances into their bodies, and giving them the means by which to do it, angers me more that I can reasonably articulate.

I don't want to support their drug habits or their lives. Yet, some part of every hour I work to earn a living and support myself goes toward supporting and enabling these drug addicts to enjoy their habits and their chosen lifestyles.

I am disgusted by it all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 03:16 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,102,071 times
https://youtu.be/wJUXLqNHCaI

4:32

Old 01-19-2020, 03:17 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,194,676 times
I like that program. AIDS in people dying quicker so the stupid dies with them.

Old 01-19-2020, 03:33 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,583,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post

This morning, a young lady in Butte County, California decided to go to the local free Needle Distribution Program that's held every Sunday, in a local park. She's not a drug addict or participant of the program; she wanted to know what the process was like.

At the distribution site, they gave her and handout free needles and a bunch of other items, likely costly Narcan, to aide people in injecting drugs into their bodies.

Notice, the program is not a Needle Exchange program, which would require participants to bring and give their used needles in exchange for new needles. Nope, distribution programs just give drug addicts a bunch of needles and other items to help and incentivize them to continue to violate many laws in California.

FYI: in crazy California, it's called a "Harm Reduction" Program, which translates into "Free Needles for Junkies."

This is an example of our (my) tax dollars at work. I helped pay for all of the free stuff that program gives to people who inject illegal substances into their bodies, most of whom don't work. I also work to make sure they have all sorts of other "necessities" (all free) in their lives, e.g., Obama phone, SSI, Medicaid, Medicare, free food/Food Stamps, free clothing, shelters that feed and shelter them, counseling and the list goes on and on.

To think I work hard and long hours to support people injecting illegal, controlled substances into their bodies, and giving them the means by which to do it, angers me more that I can reasonably articulate.

I don't want to support their drug habits or their lives. Yet, some part of every hour I work to earn a living and support myself goes toward supporting and enabling these drug addicts to enjoy their habits and their chosen lifestyles.

Assuming the young lady in the video isn't intentionally leaving this out, I noticed the absence of any sort of materials related to drug rehab., job training, counseling, even education about avoiding HIV, or anything other than drug related items being given out.

I've heard of other such "harm reduction" programs, and while I can't say that I fully embrace what they're doing, at least they were ostensibly/genuinely (?) including information about a path to a different life where somebody isn't addicted to this junk in the first place (which obviously takes a lot from society when they do). Of course, that's a little like the tobacco companies offering smoking cessation resources, but at least there's an effort. In this case, it appears to just be "here's some free drug paraphernalia and off you go."

Last edited by Jowel; 01-19-2020 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-19-2020, 03:46 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,102,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I like that program. AIDS in people dying quicker so the stupid dies with them.
Our boy T, sounding pleasant as ever...

Old 01-19-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Assuming the young lady in the video isn't intentionally leaving this out, did anyone notice the absence of any sort of materials related to drug rehab., job training, counseling, even education about avoiding HIV, or anything other than drug related items being given out?

I've heard of other such "harm reduction" programs, and while I can't say that I fully embrace what they're doing, at least they were ostensibly/genuinely (?) including information about a path to a different life where somebody doesn't need this junk in the first place. Of course, that's a little like the tobacco companies offering smoking cessation resources, but at least there's an effort. In this case, it appears to just be "here's some free drug paraphernalia" and off you go.
That's a good and fair question, Jowel.

I don't think the young lady had any other agenda than showing others a true and accurate representation of the process she experienced with the program.

I agree with you that the inclusion of some type of information or guidance related to drug rehab, counseling, job training and any other number of educational-focus guidance might add some value to the needle giveaway program.

I'm against this sort of government-funded and government-initiated program.

Of note: People in Butte County have complained that there in no government-funded program that offers free needles to people who have diabetes and other health issues that require syringes for injections.

Old 01-19-2020, 03:59 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,583,406 times
Quote:

I don't think the young lady had any other agenda than showing others a true and accurate representation of the process she experienced with the program.

I agree with you that the inclusion of some type of information or guidance related to drug rehab, counseling, job training and any other number of educational-focus guidance might add some value to the needle giveaway program.
Right, I'm not saying she had an agenda or was trying to misrepresent anything. I just found it even more questionable that the program wasn't providing any information to point the addicts in a different direction to get some help for their addiction. The way it seemed to be set up based on that video was that it was just giving away paraphernalia freebies, maybe even that a drug dealer could use for their business.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Right, I'm not saying she had an agenda or was trying to misrepresent anything. I just found it even more questionable that the program wasn't providing any information to point the addicts in a different direction to get some help for their addiction. The way it seemed to be set up based on that video was that it was just giving away paraphernalia freebies, maybe even that a drug dealer could use for their business.
Oh, I didn't take your question or tone to be accusatory at all. Like I said, I thought it was a fair question to pose.

I have some knowledge of the make-believe program, but I don't know if it provides anything of information or educational substance, just free shoot-up paraphernalia. My understanding is that it is a "don't-ask-just-give" program.

The program is highly controversial and the subject of great debate in that town.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:13 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,824,653 times
Quote:

The reason it isnt an exchange is because the idea is to not get infected by used needles. Infected needles and the associated care costs with that vs the cost of the needles. The lessor of 2 evils

Old 01-19-2020, 04:17 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,824,653 times
Quote:

I'm against this sort of government-funded and government-initiated program.

Of note: People in Butte County have complained that there in no government-funded program that offers free needles to people who have diabetes and other health issues that require syringes for injections.
Are diabetics re using needles and infecting themselves? I haven't heard that's a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies