Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 10:54 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times

Advertisements

https://www.moneycrashers.com/college-classes-seniors/

Quote:
Many colleges across the country offer cheap or even free classes for senior citizens. In most cases, older students only get to “audit” these classes – that is, attend the lectures without earning credit toward a degree. However, even without the credit, it’s still a great opportunity to learn about a subject that interests you at no cost to yourself. And at some schools, it’s even possible to earn a college degree for free, one class at a time.
I'm not against this in the least being a Bernie supporter. I believe we should encourage our citizens, whenever possible, to work toward education. I can't figure out why we shouldn't want the same for our young people.

LOL I realized I spelled tuition incorrectly in the title. Only 10 more years to go and I can get educated for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 11:01 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times
Id say great. Bext generation has more access to education which benefits the country’s future.

But the right will say: “bUt ItS iNdOcTrInAtIoN!!

Old 02-14-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Id say great. Bext generation has more access to education which benefits the country’s future.

But the right will say: “bUt ItS iNdOcTrInAtIoN!!
LOL. I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and that's exactly how they feel about "secular" education. "College will indoctrinate our young people and cause then to leave the Truth." People that want to keep you ignorant about the world are never your friends.

I found a state by state guide for any of you seniors interested in a handout. You can even earn a degree now if you were too busy working and raising kids when you were younger.

https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/save...nior-citizens/

Old 02-14-2020, 11:38 AM

36,549 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
https://www.moneycrashers.com/college-classes-seniors/

I'm not against this in the least being a Bernie supporter. I believe we should encourage our citizens, whenever possible, to work toward education. I can't figure out why we shouldn't want the same for our young people.

LOL I realized I spelled tuition incorrectly in the title. Only 10 more years to go and I can get educated for free.
Do you imagine young people would want to audit classes where space is available.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:40 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times
You can get educated for free on youtube and wiki, much more than you could ever learn in a classroom.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do you imagine young people would want to audit classes where space is available.
They would probably want the degree so they can use it to earn an income. In MN it's free to audit or you can pay 10 per credit and work toward a degree. I'm in MN and in 10 years I just might take them up on that offer. I've always been interested in finance but I lack education. I can read stuff online and all that but I need the structure of a teacher/student environment.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
You can get educated for free on youtube and wiki, much more than you could ever learn in a classroom.
I agree with you. You'd be surprised how many people will snub you though if you simply watched a lecture on youtube instead of attending a class.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:53 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,847,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Try telling that to graduate and professional schools and/or potential employers.

I'm a big believer of education of all kinds and formats, and I, myself, have learned a lot from YouTube and LinkedIn Learning. I have a good friend who learned how to renovate her entire home, including electrical work, plumbing, and carpentry, by watching YouTube videos.

But, in most cases, they don't negate the value of formal higher education. Would you trust a surgeon whose "training" consisted of watching YouTube videos?

When you come across, say, a reputable law school or master's program that will accept a record of YouTube lectures watched in lieu of a bachelor's degree, please let us know.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:17 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times
Schools are in business to get paid by students, not necessarily to teach anyone anything. I doubt if I retained or used more than 5% of what I was taught in undergraduate and graduate school. A diploma was about the only thing of value I got for my time and money. The diploma was a ticket to a job interview, and on the job everything was mostly learned from scratch. But the OP was talking about seniors auditing classes for no credit for free. Maybe it might be a good way to meet people, maybe not. But a couple of days on youtube probably would teach you as much or more than a semester of class in most cases for any liberal arts and most business subjects. Math and science, probably not in a couple of days, but definitely doable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Try telling that to graduate and professional schools and/or potential employers.

I'm a big believer of education of all kinds and formats, and I, myself, have learned a lot from YouTube and LinkedIn Learning. I have a good friend who learned how to renovate her entire home, including electrical work, plumbing, and carpentry, by watching YouTube videos.

But, in most cases, they don't negate the value of formal higher education. Would you trust a surgeon whose "training" consisted of watching YouTube videos?

When you come across, say, a reputable law school or master's program that will accept a record of YouTube lectures watched in lieu of a bachelor's degree, please let us know.

Last edited by bobspez; 02-14-2020 at 01:26 PM..

Old 02-14-2020, 01:28 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,512,524 times
Free tuition is available to all lower and lower-middle income individuals at the community college level via Pell Grants. There, if the student is hard-working and capable (pulling a B average), he or she can very likely transfer to the State U with 1/2 tuition paid (or in some states, ALL). Combined with the Pell Grants, most of the tuition is covered, leaving only a small gap to be covered by subsidized student loans.

(If, OTOH, a student is squeaking by with a C average at the community college level, I would suggest that he look for other options other than transfer to a 4-year university. One such option, should he find CC work a bit of a struggle after several months, switch to a terminal program that will provide him the foundation for a good trade-type career. There are many from which to choose.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies