Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 05:09 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Not that I'm a Biden supporter, and I get that there are lots of things to be desired about Democrats. But what I'm not a supporter of is this juvenile cruelty that has come to be known as part of the conservative / Republican brand ever since Trump showed up on the scene. The mantra is: laugh at everyone's mannerisms, ridicule their disabilities, taunt them with cruel insults. This has flourished in the last few years.

These behaviors used to be below most elected leaders, much less adults. We teach our kids in schools to be better than this. It's sad when conservatives rally around this sort of behavior.

It's this kind of fundamental character defect, more than any Republican / conservative policies, that just make me not able to get behind Trump. Get a Republican politician who also at least strives to be a basically decent human being, and I just might vote for him or her.

Quote:
Sullenberger, a former pilot best known for landing a commercial jet on the Hudson river in what came to be known as “The Miracle on the Hudson,” authored a New York Times op-ed on Saturday about his experiences wrestling with speech.

“What might a child who stutters, as I did, feel when they hear a grown-up on a public stage trying to make a bunch of other adults laugh by ridiculing a public figure who also stutters?” He wrote.

He had a message for children who may be affected by such a “culture of cruelty:” “You are fine, just as you are. You can do any job you dream of when you grow up.” He pointed to his own success as a U.S. Air Force fighter pilot, airline pilot and public speaker.

“A speech disorder is a lot easier to treat than a character defect,” Sullenberger wrote in his op-ed. “You become a true leader, not because of how you speak, but because of what you have to say — and the challenges you have overcome to help others.”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/dare-mock...211838208.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 05:14 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
"Little by little the look of the country changes by the men we admire." - Larry McMurtry

The cruelty of trump is the quality his followers admire most.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/17/o...p-america.html

Old 01-19-2020, 05:14 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Not that I'm a Biden supporter, and I get that there are lots of things to be desired about Democrats. But what I'm not a supporter of is this juvenile cruelty that has come to be known as part of the conservative / Republican brand ever since Trump showed up on the scene. The mantra is: laugh at everyone's mannerisms, ridicule their disabilities, taunt them with cruel insults. This has flourished in the last few years.

These behaviors used to be below most elected leaders, much less adults. We teach our kids in schools to be better than this. It's sad when conservatives rally around this sort of behavior.

It's this kind of fundamental character defect, more than any Republican / conservative policies, that just make me not able to get behind Trump. Get a Republican politician who also at least strives to be a basically decent human being, and I just might vote for him or her.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dare-mock...211838208.html

Biden doesn't stutter.

Stuttering is learned when young children (mostly boys) form their first words and are told they are saying something wrong.

The adult that interrupts the child when he or she is trying to say a word teaches the halting that becomes habitual stuttering.

If Biden didn't habitually stutter from a very young age, he doesn't stutter now.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:15 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Biden doesn't stutter.
Well, I mean, apparently Lara Trump and Sarah Sanders think otherwise. Also, neither have one iota of class.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:17 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Both sides are guilty of often ridiculing their opponents' speeches (and physical appearance, too), and I think they should be ashamed.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:21 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Biden doesn't stutter. Hasn't in 45 years in office. 1000s of recordings of him out there where he's fine. This is nonsense made up by indignant leftists to cover for his inability to speak a coherent thought these days.

No stuttering here.

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/stat...79312816787456

Old 01-19-2020, 05:22 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Biden has a Fixodent problem along with early stage dementia. Watch him 10 years ago. he was lucid, well spoken, now he's become a doddering old fool. Sorry I'm not voting for anybody who will be in their 80's while in office.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:23 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Biden doesn't stutter. Hasn't in 45 years in office. 1000s of recordings of him out there where he's fine. This is nonsense made up by indignant leftists to cover for his inability to speak a coherent thought these days.

No stuttering here.

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/stat...79312816787456
he probably forgot, he's struggling.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:27 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Shout out to his old butt buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtmRldRXXRQ

Old 01-19-2020, 05:27 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Jesus Christ. Don't you guys know any speech therapists?

Stuttering as a youngster can be overcome as an adult.

Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies