Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 09:12 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So bloomberg is 78 years old and a billionaire.

I'd have to ask why he's having this epiphany now lol.

What has he done along these lines so far?
Because now he realizes that pandering to people too stupid to see that he's simply trying to buy their vote with taxpayer money might put him in the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 09:34 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So Democrats once again are going to play identity politics and work to divide American citizens? I would have thought that they might have figured out that wasn't working, when they tried it for 8 years of the Obama administration, let alone all through the 2016 campaign.
Trump has already divided us by pitting our parties against each other while he smiles and watches. His rallies are full of hate for democrats and any republican who go against him. So tell me how democrats will divide our country when it's already divided thanks to Trump.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, he is now off my list of "possibles" (candidates I would consider voting for).

For almost 50 years, I supported Affirmative Action, and many, many blacks are now part of the middle and upper classes -- and good for them and everyone else!! For those blacks who are still poor, I blame it on their own decisions and/or on their parents, and not the government. (Yeah, I know -- this is a very unpopular opinion among many liberals.)

EQUALITY for all -- stop with the pandering due to skin color!
SO you think racism stopped ?

Old 01-20-2020, 10:21 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So Democrats once again are going to play identity politics and work to divide American citizens? I would have thought that they might have figured out that wasn't working, when they tried it for 8 years of the Obama administration, let alone all through the 2016 campaign.
So you didnt support Trump when he did it either right ?

Also, what makes it divisive to say you want to speak to specific problems that hurt one community ?

Old 01-21-2020, 04:43 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump has already divided us by pitting our parties against each other while he smiles and watches. His rallies are full of hate for democrats and any republican who go against him. So tell me how democrats will divide our country when it's already divided thanks to Trump.
"Trump has already divided us by pitting our parties against each other while he smiles and watches." As did obama.

"are full of hate for democrats and any republican who go against him"

The dem party is FULL of hate for any republican who go against them.

"tell me how democrats will divide our country when it's already divided thanks to Trump"

The dems ALREADY divided the country LONG before Trump came on the scene.

"Where do I go to get my reputation back" John Tower AFTER the dems tried to destroy him during is senate hearings in 1989.

Clarence Thomas etc., etc., etc,

Old 01-21-2020, 04:53 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Bloomberg has done nothing for African Americans all his life and now he wants to do something... What a crook...

Old 01-21-2020, 05:41 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
He seems to be talking about a Federal investment
Its not "investment" when a govt does it, it's "rob the underclasses and redistribute to our favored friends"

Old 01-21-2020, 05:48 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
some idiots believe he was pledging his own money, he wasn't, he's pledging to raise taxes.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:50 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, he is now off my list of "possibles" (candidates I would consider voting for).

For almost 50 years, I supported Affirmative Action, and many, many blacks are now part of the middle and upper classes -- and good for them and everyone else!! For those blacks who are still poor, I blame it on their own decisions and/or on their parents, and not the government. (Yeah, I know -- this is a very unpopular opinion among many liberals.)

EQUALITY for all -- stop with the pandering due to skin color!
Again....its this propensity to use the success of some blacks, who were able to climb out the hole with a rope, as justification to pull the rope out the hole because any black still in the hole should have been able to climb out when the others did.

As far as I can tell, its only black people where the success of some against "the odds" gets used to discredit "the odds" as causing the failure of others. You won't find this used against the Jews. Why were some Jews able to escape Germany and concentration camps? Does that mean all Jews had that equal chance? What about soldiers who go off to war and die or get mentally or physically handicapped? Does the fact that MOST soldier come back in sound mind and body mean that the others should have too, had they made better decisions? Try telling that to the widow or children of a fallen soldier. Tell them about all the other soldiers who made it.....despite the war and being shot at and that their loved one had no one to blame but themselves for poor decisions.

Not all blacks are the same and every black person has a unique situation in time and space that nobody else has. That is true of everyone. Everyone experiences a different life in time and space. Two people cannot occupy the same space and time to have the exact same experience....without being the same person. Even if they could, their DNA is different and hence how they respond/react to a situation is different. The different permutation created by the uniqueness of time and space and the uniqueness of individuals insures VARIATION in outcomes. The fact that some blacks were able to climb up from racism while many other blacks have not could very easily mean that those blacks were already higher up than those other blacks. It could mean that those blacks who did were above average in many respects. One cannot expect the average to achieve on the level of the above average. Maybe above typical hope, drive and intelligence allowed some blacks to rise against the odds while the average or typical succumbed because of the odds, but would have made it if not for the odds.

I call BS on your whole premise.

That having been said. F'ck Bloomberg if this is true. I would ask the black residents of New York what they think of him. I can't speak for the masses of black people.....but I don't want anything offered to blacks presented as a "handout" or "give away". There is a case to be made and if he can't make a case as to why black people deserve or are owed......then he does not believe it and is just trying to buy the black vote.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-21-2020 at 05:59 AM..

Old 01-21-2020, 10:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
So you ‘black people’ obsessed Republicans are always saying that the black vote is being taken for granted and that the Democrats do nothing for blacks.

Then a Democrat pledges to do something for blacks, and tellingly, you get pyssed off about it. LMAO...Republicans in a nutshell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies