Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 07:32 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Ya, I stuck with it for a few years. Had my eye on leaving that place. I would not wanna be manager at retail.
Im in a better job now with the field that Im in.

I do miss my co workers though. One year I Worked overnights, and we had some good times. Friend lived nearby so we’d go to his house during lunch and enjoy a few beers. Lol. Hell one of my managers at the time showed up with some bud at the same house after the company Christmas party.

Crummy job but good times.

My current job is more professional so I had to chill out from all that. Even in this job better, Im still looking ahead. It’s not my last stop. It’s like my foots in the door but I know I want more creative freedom.

My friend works at a recording studio and offered me to work with him on some projects. If that takes off then I can hop out of here.

In the end it’s probably better to work for yourself.
I'm with you on that. I turned down the manager position and am in a different type of job altogether. It's not one I love, in fact it's a PITA, but the pay is a lot better. Good luck to you.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:36 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I'm with you on that. I turned down the manager position and am in a different type of job altogether. It's not one I love, in fact it's a PITA, but the pay is a lot better. Good luck to you.
Thanks, same to you

Old 01-20-2020, 07:38 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Why work hard when rich conservative oligarchs will steal most of it no matter how hard you work?
pray tell how they come get your money?

otherwise, it's a global survey with equal weight given to 28 cities.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:54 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
I admittedly did not read every post. I just want to say that far too many people dont know the difference between hard work and working hard.

Making it doesn't mean you have to just work harder in the job you're in. Most jobs are rungs on a ladder...you need to move up or move on.

Entry level jobs are not supposed to give you a comfortable life or retirement...move up and let someone else get their start. Likewise there are spots to be filled by people above you moving up or retiring.

People who claim this cant be done are just plain lazy.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:59 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I admittedly did not read every post. I just want to say that far too many people dont know the difference between hard work and working hard.

Making it doesn't mean you have to just work harder in the job you're in. Most jobs are rungs on a ladder...you need to move up or move on.

Entry level jobs are not supposed to give you a comfortable life or retirement...move up and let someone else get their start. Likewise there are spots to be filled by people above you moving up or retiring.

People who claim this cant be done are just plain lazy.
Yep.

Very well said, beginning to end.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:05 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Why work hard when idiot liberals like to hand out free money?
So let's stop welfare. Do you have any idea how that would hurt the southern states. They are already the worst in education. So why not just make them even poorer and uneducated.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:06 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Either you work hard or you be poor. Take your pick.

Life is all about the choices you make.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:25 AM

1,503 posts, read 607,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Either you work hard or you be poor. Take your pick.

Life is all about the choices you make.
More like "if you work hard - you be poor".

Hard honest work never in a human history made a man millionaire. Never. Ever.
One can get into the right place in a right time, but it has nothing to do with the hard work.

It's a carrot in front of a donkey. It's a big eternal lie invented by those with money and power to keep the sheeple under control.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:28 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Well, I’m a realist. Most jobs suck, but you have a choice since nobody is hold a gun on you. As for me, my choice was to stick it out.

Stick it out in the Army and in the Army Reserves for for over 26 years.

Stick it out in a law enforcement career for over 21 years.

Stick it out in a different law enforcement career for 5 years... One more year to go.

In my case, “I” basically accepted the fact that work is work, but I’ll be fully retired with a six figure retirement plan right after turning 58 next year.

My little brother, who is 2 years younger, basically job hops every 2-3 years and lives pay check to pay check and seriously worries about his retirement since he hasn't saved for that event. But that’s the choice he made for himself.

Granted, that I never worked in retail, but I know it basically sucks... Unless it’s a P/T side hustle and quitting doesn’t really effect your life. All I can say is better yourself and seek out a job that pays well and has good benefits. They’re out there, but you have to find them and do whatever it takes to get in. Sorry, you don’t ever need to brown nose to get ahead... Just be good at your job and you’ll be respected.

Seriously, working in retail, service industry (fast food) or working as a low-end security guard, you will never earn a decent yearly salary. Not knocking them, but I see those types of jobs as transitional jobs... Jobs we need until the right job comes around. They were not meant to be career jobs, unless you’re planning on moving up into management.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:42 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Working hard for an employer has certain odds of being able to get ahead.

Working hard for yourself in your own business has higher odds of being able to get ahead. Much higher.

I just wish I had learned this sooner because I'd be a top 1%'er instead of top 2%'er, and the chasm between the two groups makes a crack in your driveway look like the Grand Canyon.

I grinded it out in Fortune 500 America for 20 years, and broke 6 figures, but then I hit the glass ceiling.

I started my own business, worked my butt off, and now I'm semi-retired prior to turning 60. I work when I want.

Just avoid restaurants and traditional retail businesses. Don't pay for a franchise either...unless its a Chik-Fil-A. Find a business that has customers who return to buy again and gain if you exceed their expectations. Repeat business is a must.
Nobody ever got rich working hard for someone else.
The rich get rich by having other people work hard for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies