Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 08:25 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,216,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Regarding schools, funding isn't the issue. Some of the highest-funded school districts in the country (examples: Washington, DC and Camden, NJ) have abysmal educational results.
I’m well aware that school funding isn’t the only issue. Also having diverse backgrounds of people in a school does wonders. Having socioeconomic diversity and racial diversity in a school provides benefits to students.

https://tcf.org/content/facts/the-be...oms/?session=1

Old 01-21-2020, 09:12 PM

1,503 posts, read 606,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I’m well aware that school funding isn’t the only issue. Also having diverse backgrounds of people in a school does wonders. Having socioeconomic diversity and racial diversity in a school provides benefits to students.

Do you read your own sources?
Average scores in "diverse" schools are higher than in "poverty" schools. Pay attention here: not "than in all schools", but "than in poverty schools". Duh!
Throw in few smarties into a dumb environment, and they will help the average scores. Great discovery!

But nobody asks the main question - how those smarties feel in the dumb environment?

Old 01-21-2020, 10:26 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,723,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progr...tm_name=iossmf

I remember working at depot. There was a survey in the break room where you “test your knowledge” in other departments such as plumbing.
You put your name in it. So I guess it was a cheap prize for people who got the most answers right.

But the other prize is now you work another department for the same pay. So they won’t hire anyone else.

Fun Fact: if you ever wondered why you don’t see employees in the departments, it’s because we take off our aprons to get a task done for our supervisor. Makes us invisible to customers to avoid our task not being done before lunch or before we leave...
Lazy bull****ters/kiss butters seem to get ahead quicker.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:34 PM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post

So, why don't we have vouchers/school choice?

Old 01-21-2020, 10:39 PM

32,033 posts, read 15,030,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Before you would work hard, save money, invest in a side business, make more money, invest in the market, and live well. Today, you work and the government takes all your money and gives it to people who don’t work, tells you that you need to pay a ton of fees and follow a ton of rules for a side business, and tells you that you can’t invest in certain opportunities unless you are already rich.
So tell me what republicans have done in the southern states to make them better. They are the poorest states with the poorest education.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:15 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,237,393 times
Only an absolute narcissist with no knowledge of history could think that today's ultra-tight employment market - with employers in a bidding war for anyone willing to work - doesn't provide the ultimate in upward mobility. If my spouse and I could retire early after spending our careers in one of the most competitive labor markets imaginable, then today's Snowflakes can grow up and stop expecting everything to be handed to them on a gold platter.

Unemployment continues at record lows, not seen since the late 1960s (60 years ago!) - meaning that if you are willing to work, employers are in a bidding war to get you. The average starting salary for 2019 college grads was around $51,000. https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtoo...ege-grads.aspx Fast food workers at In-and-Out Burger make $13 an hour; McDonald's pays $8 - $9 per hour; Taco Bell pays $9 -$10 per hour. https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...es-of-8-to-9-2

Let's compare that to what the Snowflakes would have faced if they graduated college in the mid-1980s: national hiring freezes in virtually every field; constant layoffs of professionals who had a decade more of experience (who now competed with the new graduates for those entry-level jobs); floods of new college graduates constantly entering the job market and willing to take absurdly low wages to work 60-80 hours a week. I got so sick of hearing "I can't believe how many overqualified people responded - I got over 100 resumes and can't figure out who to interview!" when interviewing for jobs that paid minimum wage or close to it (after graduating college with a 3.9 GPA).

True story: in the early 1980s the University of New Hampshire had one of the hardest Chemical Engineering programs in the nation (those guys actually studied every day & every night, & didn't have time any "fun" college activities). Until 1983, the program boasted 100% placement in well-paying jobs working for companies like DuPont. The class of about 30 that graduated in 1983? Not a single one was offered a private industry job anywhere in the nation. The wealthier ones went to graduate school to try and wait out the bloated labor market; a few went into unrelated businesses owned by relatives; two went into the Navy Nuclear Submarine Officer Program (meaning 36 months of the next 5 years of their life was spent underwater with no contact at all with family/friends, and their "time off" was a 50-hour workweek at the Navy Base) for pay similar to what a fast food worker earns today.

Even competing with 100 other college grads for every employment opportunity, we still managed to do well enough to phase out of our professional jobs early. The lesson: you can succeed even in a brutally competitive labor market, as long as you had the perseverence to get up and go to work every day, do your best when you were there, and keep your mouth shut when your superior makes your life miserable because he's psychotic. FYI, the other keys are to live within your means; save as much as possible by sacrificing luxuries today; and minimize and then eliminate all debt (including mortage) as soon as possible.

My spouse worked for the same company for over 30 years, where we discovered that the privileges earned by seniority in previous generations did not convey to ours (the same 60+ hour weeks were required for the duration). Interestingly, by the time we started phasing out of this brutal lifestyle, our employers were discussing how they would need to change in order to get and keep Snowflake employees - literally doubling salaries; reducing the workweek (to only 40 hours, or less); offering 3 weeks of paid vacation the very first year (instead of no vacation the first year and 2 weeks at the end of the 2nd year); flexible hours; etc. Those with ambition could expect to be supervisors in about 4 years, managers in about 10 years, and executives in 15 or so years (compared to 15 years, 20 years and 26 years for the "superstars" of our generation).

Take advantage of today's economic prosperity; get a decent job now while there are many employers competing for every available worker. When things get tough again, as they always do, you can just sit it out while enjoying the benefits that fate handed you. We never got that opportunity, but we sure envied those who were born before us that did.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:44 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,022 times
The only way to have a better life is having a naturally likable personality and a greater amount of intellect than bad luck and being mentally challenged. There is no way to get around the importance of having the brains to make the most of hard work. Without brains and personality, hard work amounts to nothing more than a small paycheck until you are dead.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:32 AM

58,931 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Before you would work hard, save money, invest in a side business, make more money, invest in the market, and live well. Today, you work and the government takes all your money and gives it to people who don’t work, tells you that you need to pay a ton of fees and follow a ton of rules for a side business, and tells you that you can’t invest in certain opportunities unless you are already rich.
" the government takes all your money"

Not surprised someone from nj would exaggerate and go hyper.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:35 AM

34,958 posts, read 16,938,125 times
Quote:
Well they are trying to take money for "climate adjustment" or "climate equity."

Old 01-22-2020, 05:44 AM

58,931 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ding ding ding. I will never understand why poor workers continue to blame each other for remaining poor while defeding CEOs earning $30 million/per year who make twice that when they get fired
"I will never understand", on that I agree with you, you NEVER will.

I know it is a foreign concept for some to understand but, some are paid for what they are WORTH to the company they work for.

If a CEO, even as YOU state, EARNS $30 million, maybe you just don't understand what "earns' means.
If he is RESPONSIBLY, another concept many on the left know nothing about, for the company making 10 times that, he IS worth what he is paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.