Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 06:15 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bingo.

What would Jesus say about a church that accumulated vast wealthy while children go hungry?

What would Jesus say about a church that shuffled pedophile priests around instead of protecting the children?

What would Jesus say about "Christians" who are hateful and judgmental, believe some people should be denied fair treatment?

Read the parable of the Good Samaritan and ask yourself what Jesus would say about churches who don't speak out about what is going on at the U.S. border.

A lot of young people are tired of hateful hypocrisy and have given up on churches because of it.
Fundamentalist Christians in the US (who currently dominate the political sphere) only care about hating gays, controlling women, and bullying unbelievers or even Christians who are less hateful than they are.

Jesus is really an afterthought to these Christians. It's all about white patriarchal society and forced social conformity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 06:16 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
There is a methodist church two miles from my house and they have a RAINBOW flag waving on their premesis. The cmethodist church is very internally conflicted right now.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:17 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
There is a methodist church two miles from my house and they have a RAINBOW flag waving on their premesis. The cmethodist church is very internally conflicted right now.
They have that right just as the Baptists have the right to scream and bang the pulpit about how gays are abominations that should be rounded up and executed.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
That church is not conflicted as it is waving a rainbow flag. I suspect older, closed-minded parishioners are the ones conflicted there.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:22 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Okay whatever. Adam and Eve, and all that...

Old 01-21-2020, 06:22 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
What's up with all this division?? It's really ANNOYING!!!! It's old vs young, gay vs straight, this skin color against that skin color, men against women, gays vs. lesbians, jeez the list just goes on and on and on. Let's stop the insanity ok? Can't we all just learn to love each other for what we are?

I repeat, it's ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2020, 06:24 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
What's up with all this division?? It's really ANNOYING!!!! It's old vs young, gay vs straight, this skin color against that skin color, men against women, gays vs. lesbians, jeez the list just goes on and on and on. Let's stop the insanity ok? Can't we all just learn to love each other for what we are?

I repeat, it's ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People have preferences, morals,principles, etc. to each his own

Old 01-21-2020, 07:09 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I would be looking for a new church that wants me . . . And my tithes.
I would recruit every older person I could find to show up the first day.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:11 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The problem with some of the elderly they don’t accept change. I Remember they went berserk when they brought a guitar to worship. Keep Jesus teachings - but move with the times. I stop going because instead of hearing about God’s plan it was all about the vote for mr Bush then mrT - churches are going to close because the put God and love out and invited politics and ideology. It’s will go with the boomers, and something new will start with the kids.
I've never been at a church (now I haven't been at fundamentalist churches) promoting the Republicans. But I've seen progressive churches pushing Democrats.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:13 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Hopefully this means we will transition to become a more secular and hopefully more tolerant society. I'm hoping this current era of US history dominated by fire and brimstone fundamentalism, hate, and intolerance is the last hurrah of a dying movement. The church has only itself to blame for it's decline. When you mix religion and politics, it corrupts both. Even the larger churches today are having trouble keeping younger members. The exception is non-denominational churches that are really Southern Baptist but aren't quite as hateful. Those alone won't be enough to sustain a political party.

My dad's Independent Fundamental Baptist church is still full but is almost entirely age 40+ and I'd say 80% of the congregation is over age 60. I doubt that church will still be open in 30 years or if it is, it will be in sad shape.
If you want it more tolerant, all the progressives will have to move to Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies