Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 10:59 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Harry Reid isn't coming back regardless.

Thats good news for the future of America, 1 less dumb Democrat in the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 11:04 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"i have 20 yrs experience sober and 25 yrs of addiction to booze and pharmaceuticals."
My most sincere congratulations!

"all things being equal i can say that pharmaceutical narcotics are not as dangerous as say booze or many other drugs" what do you think of things like Oxycontin?

i got sober before Oxycontin arrived although one of my favorites was Percodan which contained at the time 5mg of oxycodone the active ingredient of it....Oxycontin is just another timed release form of percodan....i might prefer we also go back to opium tincture of opium type form being an option as well

there seems to be at least some evidence of drugs in their "natural" less refined states being less harmful
overall than the concentrated forms

Old 01-22-2020, 11:14 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I strongly disagree, if laws are benefiting criminal organizations and helping them increase their profits...it needs to stop IMMEDIATELY!
LOL, legalization should have been done decades ago, as far back as when Nixon was president. Instead, the opposite happened and some states, such as Oklahoma, made anti-marijuana laws with the harshest punishments in the country. The people of Oklahoma finally made backlash against that in 2018 by voting in favor of the most liberal medical marijuana program in the country originated with no outside state help, whatsoever. The legendary straight from the heart grassroots level petition campaign to get it on the ballot only cost around $30,000. Now some sorry Oklahoma Republican legislators don't want to see something like that happening again and so are seeking to make it harder to get the required number of signatures for a petition. It's already hard enough since no other state has such a short time period required, which is 90 days.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:43 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" people who smoke stay home." only in your dreams.

Watch some "Live PD" sometime and get educated.

"NHTSA also reveals that the number of drivers killed in crashes who tested positive for marijuana doubled from 2007 to 2015."

"Marijuana-Impaired Driving Detection of marijuana in drivers involved in traffic crashes has become increasingly common. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 12.6 percent of weekend nighttime drivers in 2013-2014 tested positive for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the component that gives marijuana its psychological effects, compared to 8.6 percent in 2007.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/transp...-overview.aspx

And this is 3 years old. Several state have dropped the laws about using it.

A more recnt story:"A report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published Thursday reveals that the number of people who acknowledge operating a motor vehicle after consuming marijuana spiked by 47% in a four-year span."

"Based on data from a national survey conducted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the CDC said 3.2% of all people ages 16-25 reported driving in those conditions in 2014. Four years later, that figure for all those 16 and older was up to 4.7%, a total of 12 million.While the number pales in comparison to the 20.5 million (8%) who admitted driving while under the influence of alcohol in 2018, the findings are nonetheless troubling for public health professionals."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/2705204001/

"
Not buying it the majority of those of who smoke are responsible enough to stay home or wherever we are at the time.

Read your own posts.

In addition, tracking marijuana-impaired driving is difficult because drivers who may be under the influence of marijuana and alcohol are often cited for a high blood alcohol concentration and rarely tested for additional substances.

Nuff said.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:50 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As a 1960's teen pot user I am torn on the substance itself......as usual, these things tend to sway too far in one direction and too far in the other. I am for all rec. drugs to be legal or at least de-crim, but the strength of current products AND a lot of the BS (cures anything and everything) is troubling.

Still, keeping most of this out of the Criminal Justice System is the first goal. Then we can discuss the harms and benefits.
In addition if it's legal it can be regulated the same way food and over-the-counter medications are.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:02 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yea, they used to say marijuana was addictive too...have you ever seen 'Reefer madness'? Its hilarious, but they actually tried to make people believe those things...they are doing the exact same thing today with opioids, new drug, same old game.

Plus we were taught that marijuana was addictive in DARE classes back in the 1980s.
The DARE program was a failure.
https://priceonomics.com/dare-the-an...ever-actually/

Just Say No to DARE - TIME

Old 01-22-2020, 03:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Not buying it the majority of those of who smoke are responsible enough to stay home or wherever we are at the time.

Read your own posts.

In addition, tracking marijuana-impaired driving is difficult because drivers who may be under the influence of marijuana and alcohol are often cited for a high blood alcohol concentration and rarely tested for additional substances.

Nuff said.
People who are likely to drive while high on pot, already are.

Those people who might take up smoking when it becomes legal are, I suspect, far less likely to drive under the influence since they are, by virtue of the fact that they don't now smoke it illegally, demonstrably more risk averse than people who smoke it illegally at present.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:30 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Pretty soon the hype will die down and weed will be just as acceptable as alcohol.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:37 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Pretty soon the hype will die down and weed will be just as acceptable as alcohol.
This!

Weed is like any other intoxicant. If you’re irresponsible, bad things happen.

As an ex-smoker myself, no way in hell could I operate a car properly when high. And was too lazy to do it anyway.

At 40 states, the Feds would kinda be obligated to play with the drug schedules, wouldn’t they?

Old 01-22-2020, 04:38 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Dumb Fl still poking around the thought even though the people said yasss !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies