Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2020, 02:20 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Prove that the president's lawyers made dozens of false claims. Your silly little article didn't even give one example of a false claim by the president's lawyers.

We're waiting.

Now lets get to the what actually happened.

In just two hours the president's lawyer completely dismantled the democrats case.
If you would have read it you would have noticed:
Fact check
That is a clue for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 02:27 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
will the Trump team start the trial today with Schiff's parody of made up dialogue during the House investigation back in September?

or will they start with Pelosi dressed in black at the start of the impeachment investigation speaking to what a sad and solemn day it was to begin those proceedings? Then a followup that video of her dressed in her pink dress with a big smile on her face as she handed out souvenir pens to her Democratic cronies after the vote to impeach?

not sure how they will start this today, anybody know?
posted above this morning, half hour before this started today, lol, I'm figuring they'll wait until near the end of the "trial" before showing the video clip of Pelosi smiling and handing out the souvenir pens. Maybe during the questioning Cruz or Lindsey will ask where they can get one, all the House impeachment team got them, why not them?

Cuz that's what this is all about...

Old 01-25-2020, 02:28 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
More spin. Schiff prefaced that particular sequence saying explicitly it was a characterization of the conversation between trump and Zelensky. Sounds like what Bolton was trying to say when he called it a "DRUG DEAL". Sound familiar?

Here’s what Schiff said:

"Shorn of its rambling character and in not so many words, this is the essence of what the president communicates: ‘We've been very good to your country. Very good. No other country has done as much as we have. But you know what? I don't see much reciprocity here. I hear what you want. I have a favor I want from you, though. And I'm going to say this only seven times, so you better listen good. I want you to make up dirt on my political opponent, understand? Lots of it. On this and on that. I’m going to put you in touch with people, not just any people. I’m going to put you in touch with the attorney general of the United States, my attorney general Bill Barr. He’s got the whole weight of the American law enforcement behind him. And I’m going to put you in touch with Rudy. You’re going to love him, trust me. You know what I’m asking and so I’m only going to say this a few more times, in a few more ways. And by the way, don’t call me again. I’ll call you when you’ve done what I asked.’

"This is, in sum and character, what the president was trying to communicate with the president of Ukraine. It would be funny if it wasn't such a graphic betrayal of the President's oath of office. But as it does represent a real betrayal, there's nothing the president says here that is in America's interest after all."

Republicans said Schiff made it seem like he was reading directly from the readout of the call. Schiff repeatedly glanced down at the notes in front of him, and he did not make it clear which parts of his summary were exaggerated.

But Schiff also introduced the remarks as "the essence of what the president communicates" and described them as "in sum and character, what the president was trying to communicate."

"It was clear in context of Chairman Schiff’s opening statement that he was not intentionally misleading anyone, and this is a bad faith attack by the president and his allies to distract from Trump’s misconduct," Schiff spokesman Patrick Boland told PolitiFact.

Sound familiar? Sounds like what Bolton was trying to say when he called it a "DRUG DEAL".
That WASN'T "the essence" of what Trump said. Not even close. As far as "drug deal?" That was the acid trip Schiff was on when he completely fabricated the conversation in the phone call.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:30 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Shucks, I just wish he would’ve used official government employees to carry out his perfectly legal request, instead of Rudy Giuliani and a pair of bagmen now under indictment for other crimes.
Did you read the transcript? Trump was referring the matter to the AG.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:33 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
UUMMMM..... Because he attempted to bribe a weak foreign government who was almost completely dependent on US aid and support to defend his country so he could win an election? Does this help?
why don't they charge him with bribery then?

you poor Dems can't ever seem to identify crimes that match your narrative. Really should work on that during President Trump's second term.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:35 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,556,144 times
By the way, public opinion about impeachment and removal which has been under water since the start of the year now has more opposition than at any point in the past and is trending towards 50% in the aggregate with support for impeachment and removal starting to collapse.

I expect these trends to continue, which could lead to quite a few defections among the Democrats in the Senate. Should be interesting as the Schiff show case completely collapsed this morning under the slightest of scrutiny.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:39 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
If you would have read it you would have noticed:
Fact check
That is a clue for most people.
Putting Fact Check in front of something DOES NOT make it a fact - give me a break.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
More spin. Schiff prefaced that particular sequence saying explicitly it was a characterization of the conversation between trump and Zelensky. Sounds like what Bolton was trying to say when he called it a "DRUG DEAL". Sound familiar?

Here’s what Schiff said:

"Shorn of its rambling character and in not so many words, this is the essence of what the president communicates: ‘We've been very good to your country. Very good. No other country has done as much as we have. But you know what? I don't see much reciprocity here. I hear what you want. I have a favor I want from you, though. And I'm going to say this only seven times, so you better listen good. I want you to make up dirt on my political opponent, understand? Lots of it. On this and on that. I’m going to put you in touch with people, not just any people. I’m going to put you in touch with the attorney general of the United States, my attorney general Bill Barr. He’s got the whole weight of the American law enforcement behind him. And I’m going to put you in touch with Rudy. You’re going to love him, trust me. You know what I’m asking and so I’m only going to say this a few more times, in a few more ways. And by the way, don’t call me again. I’ll call you when you’ve done what I asked.’

"This is, in sum and character, what the president was trying to communicate with the president of Ukraine. It would be funny if it wasn't such a graphic betrayal of the President's oath of office. But as it does represent a real betrayal, there's nothing the president says here that is in America's interest after all."

Republicans said Schiff made it seem like he was reading directly from the readout of the call. Schiff repeatedly glanced down at the notes in front of him, and he did not make it clear which parts of his summary were exaggerated.

But Schiff also introduced the remarks as "the essence of what the president communicates" and described them as "in sum and character, what the president was trying to communicate."

"It was clear in context of Chairman Schiff’s opening statement that he was not intentionally misleading anyone, and this is a bad faith attack by the president and his allies to distract from Trump’s misconduct," Schiff spokesman Patrick Boland told PolitiFact.

Sound familiar? Sounds like what Bolton was trying to say when he called it a "DRUG DEAL".

Old 01-25-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Did you read the transcript? Trump was referring the matter to the AG.
We haven't seen the transcript, that is still in hiding. We got a memo.

the full transcript is on a top-secret, codeword National Security Council server.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/day-1-tru...170800619.html

I wonder why as it was a "perfect" call.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:58 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,726,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
By the way, public opinion about impeachment and removal which has been under water since the start of the year now has more opposition than at any point in the past and is trending towards 50% in the aggregate with support for impeachment and removal starting to collapse.

I expect these trends to continue, which could lead to quite a few defections among the Democrats in the Senate. Should be interesting as the Schiff show case completely collapsed this morning under the slightest of scrutiny.
The polls on impeachment haven't really moved. Nate Silvers 538 is one of the best aggregate polls out there (he warned people about Trump being within the margin of error in 2016) and it shows 50.8% approving Impeachment and Impeachment and removal and 45.3% disapproving. I don't see any collapse, it is actually at its highest point.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies