Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 04:44 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
I think WaldoKitty would call this a logical fallacy.
I'll indulge you.

The conversation you started which led to it was this -> Why didn't Paul Ryan go after Obama and hence because he didn't, Obama didn't do anything wrong. (presumably like Pelosi going after Trump)

Your point was fallacious.

Easy and real answer of course is that Paul Ryan was a better speaker than Nancy Pelosi. Didn't waste the nation's time with a partisan impeachment.

You are quite welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 04:45 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Mulvaney's attny says it's all bullcrap...and the NYT is lying and spinning it ...
...says Bolton never told Mulvaney.....and Mulvaney never talked to the Pres about it and never heard such a thing

https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status...60500440526848
Haul 'em both in, let them testify and see which one is lying. (not precluding the possibility both of them are)

Old 01-28-2020, 04:46 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'm not convinced that everyone honestly knows what they want from the Impeachment proceedings. The House just green-lit the Senate to screw with the Dem Presidential Nomination process. Senate rules allow them to physically drag Bernie, Warren, Klobuchar and Bennett back to Washington DC to participate in impeachment proceedings. Because the entire mess was started over Biden and his idiot son, the Senate can have an absolute field day repeatedly calling them in to testify under oath and lay perjury traps all day and night. They can call Adam Schiff to testify about perceived irregularities in the House proceedings. Better yet, they can call all candidates currently serving in the House all day and night too. Yang, Bloomberg, Buttigieg and Steyer are the only candidates who can run their campaigns uninterrupted by impeachment. Everyone else can get their entire lives put under a microscope, all paid for by the American taxpayer of course.

The GOP has been given cart blanche to screw with the Democrats like crazy here. It will be interesting to see if they choose to swing the sword that the Dems rather stupidly just handed to them.

The big problem is that, as we learned in every prior attempt at Impeachment, even an actual crime is not sufficient to convict and remove. Both Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton did actually commit crimes. This is not disputed. It has not actually been established that investigating the allegedly corrupt foreign dealings of your political rivals is criminal. No such crime exists that I'm aware. There is also certainly no rule against making demands upon which foreign aid is contingent. Indeed, no such law exists. US foreign aid is this ridiculous thing where we essentially treat a giant list of the world's nations like little kids. "Here's your allowance sweetie!" And like a parent giving their child an allowance, we quite regularly make the continuation of such aid contingent upon that country doing what we want. That is precisely what Joe Biden did with aid to the Ukraine in 2014 or whenever it was. "Fire that man or I'm taking all this money away from you." Honestly, foreign aid has always been a BS idea, but at minimum we should be able to make some demands for it.

The notion that "impeachment can be pursued even if there is no crime" is a messy precedent to set, and it is by no means settled Constitutional doctrine. In the incredibly unlikely even that the Senate votes to convict and remove, Trump can simply refuse to leave office and take the matter to Federal Court. The Constitution says "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" which is more than enough to dispute the validity of an impeachment on the basis of no actual crime.

Worse yet, all of this has guaranteed that at the very instant there is a Democrat President with Republican control of the House and Senate, you can start the clock right there to see how long it takes for them to bring impeachment proceedings. Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Jerry Nadler and for sure Adam Schiff are all facing the very real possibility of expulsion from the House or Senate. The older GOP won't do it because they're wimps and because they would see it as unseemly behavior, but as younger fiery Republicans make their way into Congress, that's exactly that sort of thing we can expect to start seeing. The entire business of, "Because I don't like you, I'm going to move heaven and earth in order to remove you from office." is an incredibly stupid road that we're careening down. It's hard to imagine it NOT leading to bloody civil war pretty quickly.
great post

Old 01-28-2020, 04:48 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,388,778 times
Quote:
READ THE ARTICLES!!!
They are barren of maleficence; pound sand!

Old 01-28-2020, 04:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Seems to me that for 3 days the Democrats have factually and evidence supported step by step Trump's obstruction of Congress and his attempt to manipulate US elections by blackmailing foreign powers.

For 3 days Republicans have simply said....so what.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:51 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
What context was missed? Please!

The Barr/Durham tab is coming, and it will show where the REAL collusion was from that tried to steal an election!
Really my bad. I see what you're saying now and I agree. That's why I did not vote for either of them.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:52 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
You can't have it both ways. The House dems had the majority. Now the Senate has a GOP majority. The Senate is so far getting ZERO witnesses and evidence. What's your point?
I pointed out the poster I responded to was wrong when he said the R's got the witnesses they wanted in the House. You wouldn't want fake info to go uncorrected, would you ?

Old 01-28-2020, 04:53 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
These Republicans have committed to Trump. They are all afraid he will spoil their political ambitions. Trump is firmly in command of his stooges. They all know where their bread is buttered.

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Seems to me that for 3 days the Democrats have factually and evidence supported step by step Trump's obstruction of Congress and his attempt to manipulate US elections by blackmailing foreign powers.

For 3 days Republicans have simply said....so what.
They created 2 non-crimes and said proved Trump committed them.

What did you want the GOP to say?

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Ciarmella can testify on video with facial distortion if he wants
If that's allowed I see no reason to deny you of your curiosity but frankly I think you're wasting your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies