Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 02:52 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
So we can avoid talking about how democrats ruined San Francisco?
Here is the thing. San Francisco has always had a seedy side to it, regardless of what political party is in charge. Remember, SF was Sin City long before Las Vegas ever existed. Prostitution, opium dens, Barbary Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 02:53 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
It seems to me that every big city has changed for the worse in the past 20 or so years, not just San Francisco.

Look at ANY movie filmed on location in a U.S. large city between 1945 and 1964, and then look at a movie of the same city filmed within the last 20 years. Very depressing, in my opinion. (Maybe there are exceptions to this, but I don't know of any.)
This is true. I grew up in the 60's about 20 miles out of Milwaukee and we'd drive into the city to visit our grandparents and cousins. The working neighborhoods in Milwaukee were filled with small homes that were all well maintained with nice yards. I moved to Arizona 39 years ago and on a recent visit to Wisconsin I drove through some of those same neighborhoods. Total blight. Homes run down, dirt front yards and men milling around in wife beaters, baggy shorts and the ubiquitos slides. Made me sad.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:02 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You need to stop with these inane threads.

San Fran was the hippie central in the 1960s, so drug needles are nothing new. How come you're not showing videos of the overdosed or spaced out hippies and people (including the homeless) camping out in other areas of the city? More people ODd there than anywhere else. I was there not too long ago, and the downtown and tourist areas are nice and clean, probably even more so than in the 1960s. The same tourist attractions seen in your promo video are still there. Also, in the 1960s SF also became the gay capital of the world.

A perfect Republican city........

25 million people visit San Fran every year, so either they have not seen, or believed your BS threads here.
You doth protest too much. SF is fast become a TWSH (outside the toney neighborhoods where the elite Democrats live).

Old 01-22-2020, 03:33 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
ON TOPIC: Poverty stricken southern cities that manage to keep downtown clean by arresting homeless or buying them bus tickets.
TOPIC: shows hot spotless, wholesome, clean, beautiful San Francisco was before Democrats ruined it

Old 01-22-2020, 03:57 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
You doth protest too much. SF is fast become a TWSH (outside the toney neighborhoods where the elite Democrats live).
Make up your minds. Either it went from perfect to a disaster in 1965, or it is just happening now. I know history, and I am not as gullible as most who'll believe everything they read in the partisan web sites. I have also personally been there, so I know the tourist hotspots from the OP video still look the same. Someone else repeated a breitbart claim that people don't go there anymore, while the fact is that they keep breaking records with visitor numbers.

How many "perfect Republican" cities rake in $10 billion in tourism income?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-22-2020 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 04:02 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, sure, the hippies went to San Fran because it had a Dem mayor. Cool story bro.

I know. Isn't it ironic that the last Republican mayor in San Francisco ended his term in 1964 and a few years later, it turned into druggy hippies galore? And there hasn't been a Republican mayor in that city ever since. And that city is just getting worse. It's never gotten better. They don't even hold the annual tech show up there anymore.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:08 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
To be fair, that was right before Vietnam and millions of guys returning from there with new drugs that took the area over and hasn't really let go since.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:17 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Amazing, how San Francisco looked in the 1960s looked like a perfect Republican city. Very wholesome and clean.

First-class shining city on a hill to conditions as bad as the dirtiest 3rd world cities worldwide.

San Francisco 1962

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqCDa4jQlTM&t=18s

Wow, it certainly was beautiful, clean, wholesome and perfect during the last tenture of a Republican mayor in San Francisco.

San Francisco recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDLQLWLxDIk
Nearly every major US city looked better when there was under 200 million in the country. The problem is overpopulation and rich techies refusing to live anywhere else but the City.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:56 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
SF’s 2019 Homicide Rate Was Lowest in Nearly 60 Years: Report
Quote:
Newly released crime data show that violent crime in San Francisco dropped by 6 percent last year compared to the previous year, police said Tuesday.

According to the data, homicides in San Francisco dropped by 11 percent in 2019 from 2018. Forty-one people died last year in homicides-the lowest rate in nearly 60 years.

In addition, the data show rapes were down by 15 percent while sex trafficking fell by 57 percent. Both robberies and aggravated assaults were down by 4 percent last year.
Super duper, high tech San Francisco, by drone. Looks like something out of Star Trek!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq93x2sSRhY

Old 01-22-2020, 04:58 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
It seems to me that every big city has changed for the worse in the past 20 or so years, not just San Francisco.

Look at ANY movie filmed on location in a U.S. large city between 1945 and 1964, and then look at a movie of the same city filmed within the last 20 years. Very depressing, in my opinion. (Maybe there are exceptions to this, but I don't know of any.)
I would say that cities have actually been improving in the past 20 years. Cities are actually start to focus on the pedestrian lifestyle, by removing unused parking facilities, putting infill from housing, public parks, community gardens, etc. There is actually a big beautification process going on in large cities, it is no longer catering to the car and surrounding suburban commuters with large parking structures.

Just curious, why do you feel that cities have changed for the worse?

https://prospect.org/infrastructure/moving-people-cars/

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/car...omes-new-again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies