Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The Republicans and Democrats are less different than you've been lead to believe. We have a thread going on right now in this forum that essentially ascribes to genetic based IQ and that smart people leaving "red states" (and they especially note the south and deep south) leave behind stupid people that in turn have stupid kids and the cycle expands a gulf of academics and success. They're using it to attack R's of course but it's anchored in concepts like genetic based intelligence leaving behind the stupid people. (But of course they don't mean blacks with their southern references and oh hey look, we're discussing white flight in this thread...*cough*)

But please tell us more about how it's just one group viewing blacks as inferior. Oh but in reality, nevermind. You've got NOWHERE else to go politically so just enjoy the ride and try not to rock the bus.
Were they talking about genetic based intelligence or were they discussing the lower amount of opportunities in the south for ambitious career driven people? This distinction is important. Also did it it get into specifics of race or just the general conservative policies of the south that typically cut spending for things like education and infrastructure?

Just curious. I didn’t read through the entire thread. I also saw that the mid west was brought up, which is mostly white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 10:09 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Again, very few blame Obama, but do blame the Democrat City leadership. Obama just happened to believe in the same FAILED policies these city leaders embrace. Very few say the city's circumstances are Obama's, Bush, Clinton, or Trump's fault.

If you want to put real blame on a President and the Dem Congress of that era, you have to go back to LBJ who created this generational welfare state, government DEPENDENCY we have that has helped kill these areas.
It goes back to the mill closures which predated LBJ.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:13 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've pointed out that you can find those pockets of poverty and hopelessness in Republican cities. No answers. Miami has a GOP mayor and has had many Republican mayors in the past. There is a large gap between the rich and poor in Miami, and alot of homelessness in Miami.
Miami is a good example of a city where the mayors have been from both parties, and yet the problems remain the same. For whatever reason Republicans are hardly ever elected to mayor of a major city, so their response it so whine about all the problems the big cities have and blame it on the non-Republican mayors. Miami has one of the highest crime rates in the US, and there are areas where non-residents should never go (like Liberty City).

Old 01-23-2020, 10:13 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Were they talking about genetic based intelligence or were they discussing the lower amount of opportunities in the south for ambitious career driven people? This distinction is important. Also did it it get into specifics of race or just the general conservative policies of the south that typically cut spending for things like education and infrastructure?

Just curious. I didn’t read through the entire thread. I also saw that the mid west was brought up, which is mostly white.
No it did not. He was just being his usual "the same thing happens on the other side"...self. Thus, his interpretation.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:22 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've pointed out that you can find those pockets of poverty and hopelessness in Republican cities. No answers. Miami has a GOP mayor and has had many Republican mayors in the past. There is a large gap between the rich and poor in Miami, and alot of homelessness in Miami.

It wouldn't surprise me to find people who use "Democrat" as a dogwhistle for "Blacks". Criticize Democrats while speaking ill of Blacks. This is when no one will answer for Madison,WI. A Democratic city that has a low crime rate, high quality of life, and plenty of jobs.
Yep! Liberal, for many, is a substitute for black. They are only mad at liberalism because that has or had become the political refuge for the escape from racial oppression. They are trying to dismantle that refuge by discrediting it as having caused the conditions of blacks, as opposed to it being a refuge for blacks politically.

I think you and I will agree that the majority of whites in America would probably be liberals.....if there was not the history of slavery and racism in this country. This country would be more like Canada....in regards to how "liberal" the country is.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:39 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Every large city has pockets of blight no matter who is mayor or party.

Ghettos and homelessness were prevalent in large East Coast cities 250 years ago as immigrants from all over the world poured in.

Ghettos do not last forever. Sooner or later, gentrification prevails and displaces people who can no longer afford to rent in these areas. Been going on for hundreds of years.
Thank. You. (mic drop).

I currently live in a Republican city. I've come across many panhandlers over the past few months. And pockets of poverty, not hard to find where I live.

And consider Miami. It's not some Both GOP and Democrat mayors have run Miami. Still plenty of poverty, ghettos, and homelessness. Alot of rich people. Alot of poverty too. And Downtown Miami has been dealing with feces problems.

As a geographer, I can say this about cities. They change. Things don't stay the same for long. Houston,TX had 608 murders in 1991, when Houston had 1.6 million people. Houston has 2.3 million people and had 279 murders in 2018.

San Antonio had 53,000 people in 1900. By 2000, 1.1 million people lived there. Within the last 20 years, 400,000 people have moved to San Antonio. In 1940, Phoenix,AZ was a city of 65,414 people. Today it's the largest state capital in the USA and likely the only state capital of 1 million+ people (unless Austin has reached 1 million, and this might have happened already).

Old 01-23-2020, 11:00 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,021 times
Population density and voting patterns are strongly correlated. Therefore, you have cities that typically vote democrat and rural areas that typically vote republican. Most cities are democratic due to this strong correlation.

https://medium.com/@davetroy/is-popu...r-191acc302a2b

Old 01-23-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Miami is a good example of a city where the mayors have been from both parties, and yet the problems remain the same. For whatever reason Republicans are hardly ever elected to mayor of a major city, so their response it so whine about all the problems the big cities have and blame it on the non-Republican mayors. Miami has one of the highest crime rates in the US, and there are areas where non-residents should never go (like Liberty City).
Miami has alot of reasons to visit. At the same time, it can be a hard place to live. Racial tensions have been rife in Miami. Homelessness and poverty are more abundant in Miami than alot of people realize.

Liberty City isn't the only bad neighborhood. Overtown is quite bad too. Miami has more issues than ever gets talked about.

Miami isn't alone in this example. Tulsa,OK is another example. It's as conservative as they come for big cities, and it's an oil city. Homelessness is on the rise in Tulsa. Gang violence has been an issue in Tulsa, especially North Tulsa. North Tulsa has places you should never go to if not a resident.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yep! Liberal, for many, is a substitute for black. They are only mad at liberalism because that has or had become the political refuge for the escape from racial oppression. They are trying to dismantle that refuge by discrediting it as having caused the conditions of blacks, as opposed to it being a refuge for blacks politically.

I think you and I will agree that the majority of whites in America would probably be liberals.....if there was not the history of slavery and racism in this country. This country would be more like Canada....in regards to how "liberal" the country is.
The way race relations have been, some people rely on dog whistle terms to get their point across. Some people want to say "Blacks ruin cities and should be kept at a distance", often not understanding or caring about many of the things alot of Black people often go through. However, some people are going to use dog whistle terms to keep themselves from getting any censure.

Who within the White people will be liberal vs conservative, I take it piece by piece. The way things work in New Hampshire isn't the same as it works in Alabama. Alabama doesn't work the same way as Wyoming. Wyoming doesn't work like Missouri. In places like Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, and Montana, I get why those places are conservative. Kansas and Nebraska are farming and ranching states. Wyoming and Montana are ranching and mining states. And like many places in the Old West, a rugged individualism about itself. This is why Alberta, Canada's answer to the Old West, is more conservative than the rest of Canada.

The Deep South, however, is a society where slavery has shaped it. Traditionalism and paleoconservatism has shaped places like Mississippi and South Carolina. Canada was never shaped by the forces that shaped places like the Deep South.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
there is a rot in these communities that will never be fixed...its best to let them kill each other off

if you cut off the welfare and section 8 that would help too
Cutting off welfare and section 8 won't stop it. Alot of cities had neighborhoods that were in rot mode before welfare and section 8 got there. Memphis has always been a violent city. Before the housing projects, Memphis had alot of slums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies