Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 11:50 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,315 times

Advertisements

Lol, good. Give me some better prices on inter-continental flights! None of the people I know have EVER commented on or chosen to eschew plane travel because of concerns about carbon.

I wonder how prevalent such a thing is.... or if it's the media trying to MAKE IT a "thing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 11:52 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
An inconvenient truth I'd say

Old 01-22-2020, 11:57 AM

2,066 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I can't help but feel sorry for adults who are letting a loud-mouthed kid tell them how to live.

"How dare you!" /sneer

"We'll be watching you!" /sneer

Old 01-22-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
So you support common sense then? If we could dig out of our political corners and come to the middle we would find a solution like this.

A good start would be to stop calling we folks who see AGW as simply a wealth redistribution scheme on a global scale such things as "deniers", "anti-science", and "flat-earthers".

I don't deny the climate changes, I see it as more based on solar activity and cycles. The fact the name keeps changing, "coming ice age" -> "global warming" -> "climate change" indicates it's just another scheme.

Last edited by ADogNamedSam; 01-22-2020 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 12:05 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
From the first link:

Voluntary reductions can only go so far. The bigger goal, argues Westlake, is for flights to be taxed and regulated appropriately for their climate impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
And if their "climate impact" turns out to be zero?

No one has ever proved that man has anything to do with the climate change the earth has been going through for the last half-billion years... including the most recent century or so.

All they ever do is introduce pointers, and possibilities, and reports that refer to other reports which lead to even more reports etc.

In forty-plus years of trying, the manmade-climate hysterics have never been able to come up with the slightest actual proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
An inconvenient truth I'd say
It's inconvenient indeed, for those who desperately want people to believe that man is causing the climate change we're seeing.

When you try for forty-plus years to prove man is causing it, and and wind up with ZERO proof, there's usually a reason: What you're trying to prove, isn't true.

My, that's inconvenient for the climate hysterics.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
A good start would be to stop calling we folks who see AGW as simply a wealth redistribution scheme on a global scale such things a "deniers", "anti-science", and "flat-earthers".

I don't deny the climate changes, I see it as more based on solar activity and cycles. The fact the name keeps changing, "coming ice age" -> "global warming" -> "climate change" indicates it's just another scheme.
Didn't you get the memo, it now the "global climate emergency"

Old 01-22-2020, 12:08 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,699,967 times
I don't give crap about the environmental aspects of air travel. A few less people taking airplanes isn't gonna do a damn thing to help the environment. I'll think about giving up airplanes when Leo DiCaprio stops flying private jets.

I do car about convenience though.

When in Europe, I take almost mostly trains. And it's great.

I would take trains here in the US IF they were high-speed trains serving most major to mid-level cities.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:08 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,239,488 times
My coworker just "train bragged" yesterday as he went to and from a transportation conference focusing on decarbonization.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/energyi.../#4176400e2040

Flights are not great for air quality, but there are a LOT of puzzle pieces.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I agree! I'm not saying there aren't things we should be doing to mitigate our impact on mother nature etc... But this entire panic has gotten out of line. You are so right...it's all connected. If you reduce one thing, you'll undoubtedly increase consumption of another.

Excellent post (I snipped for brevity), case in point "OMG Stop using paper bags were killing the trees!" so we now use plastic bags that take years to deteriorate and clog up our oceans and threaten sea critters.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:10 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Until train infrastructure in the USA gets better, I'm going to keep taking airplanes. I've taken Amtrak before. It sucks. So do buses. They are slow and the quality of travel is often poor (at least in the USA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies