Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 06:39 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I asked because so many absolutely mean (Except), not insinuating that you do, but you must admit that I am right in that assessment. Right or left when people talk about cuts they mean cutting programs they disagree with and never programs they are ok with.
I'm only here to discuss what I posted, not what you think other people mean when they post things. Thats a giant vague black hole. All I can say with certainty is that I meant everything...from grandmas pills to POTUSs bombs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 06:42 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Title says it all. In order to balance the budget, which is now our responsibility. I could comment on the tax cut being related to the budget shortfall, but won't.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/22/u...are-trump.html
Apparently you don't know that only congress can balance the budget or make these cuts.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Without causing havoc???? Based on what? Your lack of economic knowledge? As if government will spend the money wisely and efficiently. Maybe we can have more studies on the sex life of penguins. Or better yet we could waste 2 billion on a big hole that doesn't produce anything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superc...Super_Collider
Oh but GDP went up.
Studying sex lives of penguins is indeed stupid but it is peanuts compared to where the bulk of the budget goes to: Medicare, Medicaid, SS, the VA, and defense account for 95% of the budget. Funding research of all types is around 0.1% of the budget.

About 20% of our GDP is solely due to the Fed Gov. If that is cut, the GDP plummets and then people start screaming that the economy is going down the toilet.

My point is not that we shouldn't cut the Fed Gov, it is that it can't be done overnight.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
As I read the article, he wants to reduce the cost - not eliminate. Medicare, of course, is a target because it consumes a large share of govt spending - exacerbated by the huge deficits due to unwarranted tax cuts. When revenues are unnecessarily taken from the Treasury, something has to give. Why not Medicare/Medicaid/SNAP - and every other govt "welfare" program.

Which is EXACTLY what everyone predicted would happen when the tax cut theft on the Treasury was enacted.

The strategy has always been starve the beast - and then cut the spending because the tax cuts have cut the revenue.
That IS straight outta the Paul Ryan playbook.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:06 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Apparently you don't know that only congress can balance the budget or make these cuts.
Trump has a lot of flexibility in how he administers any federal program including Medicare. For instance the fee schedule for Medicare is not set by Congress. If the fees are set way low, no doctor would perform the service since they will lose money. There are tons of ways Trump can strangle Medicare.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:26 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Studying sex lives of penguins is indeed stupid but it is peanuts compared to where the bulk of the budget goes to: Medicare, Medicaid, SS, the VA, and defense account for 95% of the budget. Funding research of all types is around 0.1% of the budget.

About 20% of our GDP is solely due to the Fed Gov. If that is cut, the GDP plummets and then people start screaming that the economy is going down the toilet.

My point is not that we shouldn't cut the Fed Gov, it is that it can't be done overnight.
I said 10% in a year, no moving the goalpost to suit an argument that wasnt made.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:35 PM

8,112 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Without causing havoc???? Based on what? Your lack of economic knowledge? As if government will spend the money wisely and efficiently. Maybe we can have more studies on the sex life of penguins. Or better yet we could waste 2 billion on a big hole that doesn't produce anything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superc...Super_Collider
Oh but GDP went up.
Cancelling SSC was extremely stupid. Spending more than a trillion annually on "defense" and related is also extremely stupid.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:01 PM

20,095 posts, read 8,998,912 times
we'll cut school lunches before we'll cut Medicare.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:51 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Donald Trump says 'we're going to look' at entitlement reforms which could hit Social Security - and renews his claim that he will produce a middle-class tax cut after 2020 election

He told CNBC that he'd consider entitlement reforms, saying the strong economy should make up for any cuts to programs like Social Security

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dle-class.html

Looks like Social Security too. Maybe his theory is the seniors can get a job instead.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
we'll cut school lunches before we'll cut Medicare.

The School lunch funding per student should be inversely proportional to a student's BMI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies