Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 09:40 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
I guess an alligator would have thick enough skin to come out OK.

Not sure, though, that the scorpion would necessarily have any guarantee.
However, an alligator would never expend energy going after a small, bad tasting snack.

Spending more energy going after less energy, just isn't going to serve . . . the need. Otherwise, too, the alligator could get ship-whipped, or ship-whacked. Think about windmills and solar panels, for instance. Unless of course, the Government is feeding mammals to the gators.

I don't know how to explain the python growth crisis going on in Florida.

Since Genesis, women have been mesmerized by . . SNAKES. (Orientals are outside the scope of . . . THE BOOK.)

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 01-26-2020 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 10:13 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I have never met a man that DEMANDED his wife vote the same way he did. I have met couples who married because they have the same values. And this means the same political ideology. I think you are confusing the two situations.

Not everyone likes to fight all the time and pretend that means they are 'independent feminists.' I suspect all the men your daughter encountered probably had the same thought as she did ... that they were a bad match for marriage. And happily walked away .. as she did. /shrug/

It's a myth that men walk away from capable women. It's more likely that the 'capable' woman's standards are so high no that man can reach them.
Oh, I largely agree with the first point. They don't say "Honey, I DEMAND you vote this way". As you well know we humans spend our entire lives taking cues. As a business guy I have often seen my peers hanging around talking about how they are going to vote "X" because they may see lower taxes (they NEVER seem to talk about the fact that their kids will have to pay off the debt resulting from same!).....

In the "old fashioned" relationships I am talking about - and, yes, many of these people aren't the young folks, the husband simply constantly makes it clear, subtlety and outwardly, that it is THEIR best financial (read that Selfish) reason to vote one way. "Honey, if you really like this 750,000 McMansion and that nice Audi super-SUV you are driving and want more of the same, it might pay to think this way"....is the message, loud and clear.

Of course, if the Dude is watching Fox and listening to Hate Radio in the car when they are together that gives off quite a few hints also.

My daughter has never been political. She's just very smart in most every way, including emotionally. Granted, I would go part way toward what you say and suggest that maybe she passed up some good matches earlier in life because she thought a more superior model might come along.....but all is good now.

I chalk some of it up to her daddy....hard to find someone who measures up :-)

I do disagree with the general point....that is, it's not a myth to say many Men want the old fashioned relationship.....that is, the one where there is only one Captain of the Ship (as one Man told me). I'm not even down on that...so be it. But when folks say that these types of things don't happen in all directions, I have to argue that they are wrong.

A myth would mean it is not true in any...or many cases. The vast part of the population that considers women as coming from the rib of man.....or similar male-centric world views and religions....they live the Myth every day. AND, for much of history and in many geo locations it was not a myth.

But it is today and the world hasn't fully caught up - hence the need for what you may call feminism to counter the "Hooters" and "Woman are made to serve men" type of world views.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:33 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lol...incredibly high standards and then you try to pin it all on one issue to suit your needs in a political discussion? She likely met plenty of guys that were sufficiently woke but failed one of her many other high criteria so why present it with the spin you have?

Are you utterly incapable of discussing a topic without politics coloring your response?
Ever noticed how anecdotes about families never say that they're dumb as a box of rocks, ugly as a blind cobblers thumb, and dysfunctional as British auto-electrics from the 1960s?

I mean who doesn't have catwalk model level attractive kids with the IQ of Einstein, Olympic class athletics, and the compassion of a Saint?

Old 01-26-2020, 10:57 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Ever noticed how anecdotes about families never say that they're dumb as a box of rocks, ugly as a blind cobblers thumb, and dysfunctional as British auto-electrics from the 1960s?

I mean who doesn't have catwalk model level attractive kids with the IQ of Einstein, Olympic class athletics, and the compassion of a Saint?
My kids in a nutshell. However they're a bit more colorful, when talking about each other. here's the names they gave each other

dark angel (girl)
man W(h)0re
punisher
slug

PS... you forgot the courage of Eric the Great! (says my Marine son)

Old 01-26-2020, 11:09 AM

19,607 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

Imagine being the kid who doesn't measure up?!

Old 01-26-2020, 11:12 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Imagine being the kid who doesn't measure up?!
Love can change that.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:22 AM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think the question has been asked and "Video Games" has largely been the answer....FWIW.
Nonsense, it's far more layered then simply saying video games. I grew up and came out the womb with a game controller in my hand and I turned out ok.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:30 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Oh, I largely agree with the first point. They don't say "Honey, I DEMAND you vote this way". As you well know we humans spend our entire lives taking cues. As a business guy I have often seen my peers hanging around talking about how they are going to vote "X" because they may see lower taxes (they NEVER seem to talk about the fact that their kids will have to pay off the debt resulting from same!).....

In the "old fashioned" relationships I am talking about - and, yes, many of these people aren't the young folks, the husband simply constantly makes it clear, subtlety and outwardly, that it is THEIR best financial (read that Selfish) reason to vote one way. "Honey, if you really like this 750,000 McMansion and that nice Audi super-SUV you are driving and want more of the same, it might pay to think this way"....is the message, loud and clear.

Of course, if the Dude is watching Fox and listening to Hate Radio in the car when they are together that gives off quite a few hints also.

My daughter has never been political. She's just very smart in most every way, including emotionally. Granted, I would go part way toward what you say and suggest that maybe she passed up some good matches earlier in life because she thought a more superior model might come along.....but all is good now.

I chalk some of it up to her daddy....hard to find someone who measures up :-)

I do disagree with the general point....that is, it's not a myth to say many Men want the old fashioned relationship.....that is, the one where there is only one Captain of the Ship (as one Man told me). I'm not even down on that...so be it. But when folks say that these types of things don't happen in all directions, I have to argue that they are wrong.

A myth would mean it is not true in any...or many cases. The vast part of the population that considers women as coming from the rib of man.....or similar male-centric world views and religions....they live the Myth every day. AND, for much of history and in many geo locations it was not a myth.

But it is today and the world hasn't fully caught up - hence the need for what you may call feminism to counter the "Hooters" and "Woman are made to serve men" type of world views.

I do not know anyone under 65 who thinks this way. I've lived in rural, suburban and urban areas. Older folks, yes some of those opinions are still around.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:37 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Does this pertain to the current Admin and the "toxic males" that are part and parcel?

Or is that the exception?

Let's face it - most people can be made into memes. The "dumb blonde" (usually dyed that way) who is "kept" or never saw real work in her life....that we might find either stomping for certain "sides" or on Housewives of Orange County.......is that a "strong female who knows her place"?

My wife meets a lot of people and even she was recently commenting on how many women (wives) take their voting and political cues direct from hubby. That seems sad.....whereas if they were "feminists", the women might not think they had to kowtow to what their partners desired.
I'm not buying it. I'm a tail-end boomer and I don't know ANY woman who votes the way her hubby wants. In fact, many couples are the other way around. The husband does what wifey wants or there's hell to pay. Have you never heard: "Happy wife; happy life?"

Old 01-26-2020, 12:49 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
[/b]

I do not know anyone under 65 who thinks this way. I've lived in rural, suburban and urban areas. Older folks, yes some of those opinions are still around.
Agreed. Plenty of older folks have very alt views. My grand mother for example has very anti semitic views. Why? Due to her world view. Her anti semitic views died when my grand mother died. My old man who past on was a big time sexist. Another aunt is bigot. Mind you these folks are not white. These folks all come from the silent generation. Thankfully, some of these folks are dying out. Sadly the views of our elders affects the descendants and makes the descendants look bad due to passing on cultures of hate. Education is key to understanding one another. Every generation, people think very differently about the world community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies