Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 09:06 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,669,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Did we break up?
Yeah, when you refused to finish a previous discussion. It’s called closure. It’s like you got 4 opened packs of bread. How about finishing one before opening and eating from another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 09:26 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,478,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah, when you refused to finish a previous discussion. It’s called closure. It’s like you got 4 opened packs of bread. How about finishing one before opening and eating from another?
I think what you and two other posters said on the matter was interesting.

I appreciate elaboration on your position.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:09 AM

29,466 posts, read 22,452,148 times
Default Detroit man settles race discrimination lawsuit, then bank won't cash his check

There's absolutely no reason why the cops should have been called in this situation.

And the bank person that interacted with him was black.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...as/4546199002/

Quote:
Sauntore Thomas is reeling from a one-two punch.

First, the Detroiter sued his employer alleging racial discrimination in a lawsuit that settled confidentially. Then he went to the bank this week to cash his settlement checks, but the Livonia bank refused to cash or deposit his checks. Instead, they called the cops and initiated a fraud investigation — actions that dumbfounded Thomas and his lawyer, triggering another lawsuit.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:35 AM

15,590 posts, read 10,327,145 times
On Wednesday, Thomas sued TCF Bank for alleged race discrimination, saying the Livonia branch mistreated and humiliated him by calling four police officers when all he was trying to do was deposit legitimate checks. According to police, the bank's computer system read the checks as fraudulent.

TCF Bank spokesman Tom Wennerberg said Thursday that TCF abhors racism and it was not a factor in how the bank handled Thomas' requests. He said the checks Thomas presented displayed a watermark that read VOID when they were scanned in a web viewer.

according to the OP, the guy had 52 cents in his checking account and wanted to cash a large check that the bank couldn't immediately verify.

he then took them to another bank, deposited them at another bank, and it took 12 hours for the checks to be cleared before the money was available for withdrawal.

based on the article, I don't see racism. I see a black jerk.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-25-2020 at 07:44 AM..

Old 01-25-2020, 07:47 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,167,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
On Wednesday, Thomas sued TCF Bank for alleged race discrimination, saying the Livonia branch mistreated and humiliated him by calling four police officers when all he was trying to do was deposit legitimate checks. According to police, the bank's computer system read the checks as fraudulent.

TCF Bank spokesman Tom Wennerberg said Thursday that TCF abhors racism and it was not a factor in how the bank handled Thomas' requests. He said the checks Thomas presented displayed a watermark that read VOID when they were scanned in a web viewer.

according to the OP, the guy had 52 cents in his checking account and wanted to cash a large check that the bank couldn't immediately verify.

he then took them to another bank, deposited them at another bank, and it took 12 hours for the checks to be cleared before the money was available for withdrawal.

based on the article, I don't see racism. I see a black jerk.
And that’s all it is.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times
There was another thread in this topic, earlier this week. I think it got poofed.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:59 AM

37,937 posts, read 17,789,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Again....this black guy is no different from you...aside from being black. People say blacks are racist. Yeah.....this guy is an example of that. There are a lot of black people like this.....but not to this extreme. He has gone to this extreme to get paid by white racist who like to use him as a proxy to say what the feel they can't say out of fear of being called a racist. Well.....this guy is a racist and if you believe and think he is speaking the truth.....that means you are too. He is the male version of Candice Owens.
He's not the racist falsely playing the race card. If you don't think blacks, as a group, are violent compared to other races you are being dishonest. Of course when comparing the races we know for a fact that blacks commit a much higher rate of crime. But the truth doesn't matter to the false race card players like yourself. Being raised by a single parent is a deciding factor on if one makes it in life.

Oh look a black man tried to cash a check and since he couldn't, it's racist. The world is against blacks. Why it couldn't be that blacks, as a group, are not trained well enough in life to be successful compared to other groups. That they are less educated, that they make less money must be because whitey is racist. But a check is somehow proof that the world is against individual blacks and they can't make it?? lol Make something else up.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:05 AM

10,018 posts, read 9,466,734 times
The situation does seem odd.

1. Whether the check couldn’t be verified as real or not they would just place a hold. Why call the police? They knew who the guy was since he had an account. If later it was found to be fake, then they could have forward it to police.

2. The bank put out a statement that the police should never have been called. Was it racism? Could be but then again from the article I read, the employee who called the police was also black.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
He's not the racist falsely playing the race card. If you don't think blacks, as a group, are violent compared to other races you are being dishonest. Of course when comparing the races we know for a fact that blacks commit a much higher rate of crime. But the truth doesn't matter to the false race card players like yourself. Being raised by a single parent is a deciding factor on if one makes it in life.

Oh look a black man tried to cash a check and since he couldn't, it's racist. The world is against blacks. Why it couldn't be that blacks, as a group, are not trained well enough in life to be successful compared to other groups. That they are less educated, that they make less money must be because whitey is racist. But a check is somehow proof that the world is against individual blacks and they can't make it?? lol Make something else up.
If out of 1000 blacks and 1000 whites 10 blacks committed a crime while 1 white did....that does not mean blacks are criminals. Saying blacks are more likely to commit a crime than whites is not synonymous with saying blacks are likely to commit crimes. You want the black many to be defined by the black few (%) and the rationalization for that, in your mind, is due to the black rate being higher than the white rate, thus the black RACE should be seen as criminals.

Your concern is not with the likelihood of a black person being a criminal, rather, you just see it as an opportunity to cast whites as SUPERIOR from the implicit juxtaposition.

Besides, the racist black guy said MOST black peoples are this way...which is a lie...but you still want to have a beer with him I bet...lol. That is your kind of negro.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
The situation does seem odd.

1. Whether the check couldn’t be verified as real or not they would just place a hold. Why call the police? They knew who the guy was since he had an account. If later it was found to be fake, then they could have forward it to police.

2. The bank put out a statement that the police should never have been called. Was it racism? Could be but then again from the article I read, the employee who called the police was also black.
I was not a supporter of the Obama presidency when he first ran. The reason being that I feared he would do LESS for black peoples than a white democrat would. In other words, I figured he would overcompensate away from black positions in order to win and keep the favor of whites. Some times black peoples are harder on black people to show white people that they are not showing favoritism to blacks. I have a close relative who owned several national chain restaurants. When family worked at the establishments he was harder on them so that it was clear to the other employees that they were not getting special treatment.

I am not at all saying this was the case here. However, sometimes there are people who will treat people differently to try to give off a certain impression to others....or..the bank manager could have just been “hating” on another black person due to them coming into a lot of money. That is a big problem in Detroit. People try to tear you down when they see you winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies