Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 09:09 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

Switzerland #1 for fourth year in a row

The U.S.? #7.

https://www.businessinsider.com/best...s-world-report
Quote:
For 2020, US News ranked 73 countries based on global perceptions. In partnership with BAV Group and the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, US News surveyed over 20,000 people across the globe and evaluated countries on 65 metrics.

To secure a place on this year's list, countries had to rank among the top 150 countries in the world in the 2017 U.N. Human Development Index as well as among the top 100 countries in terms of GDP, foreign direct investment inflows, and international tourism receipts, according to 2017 World Bank data. Countries that did not meet these four criteria or that didn't report this data were excluded.
Overall Best Countries Ranking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 09:17 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,122,865 times
Mostly a decent list, but loses all credibility by having China on there. Huge overall economy BECAUSE OF THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE, but the per capita income remains that of a highly ranked third world nation. Horrible pollution. Terrible government repression. Now open rebellion in Hong Kong. They spend more on "domestic security forces" than the military because they fear their own. Own people used as slave labor. re-education camps. Forced sterilization of some minorities. Government control of your business decisions and investment. I believe they still have a "two-child" policy instead of one. Do they even have a real social safety net (I don't know).

They are talking about life for the privileged tenth.

Good to see Italy on there, and real good to see that it got #1 in heritage. God I love the place, despite the fact that it has some very real problems.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:34 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
I dont get why Swiss always high on this list every year. They are small, mountainous, no real exports. They have nothing anyone needs them for. They should be like West Virginia of Europe. But nope.

I once heard that because of its terrain, is very difficult to attack, and thereby making it a safe place for Western Europeans to hide out in back when Europe was being old school Europe and very warlike. So a lot of wealth was parked in that country.

But nowadays dont see why.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:52 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,378 times
Ha, ha! U.S. News and World Report can only get quoted by naming a bizarrely-ordered list!

Old 01-24-2020, 09:54 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,378 times
And may I point out that Switzerland is a truly bizarre first choice—- due to its “lack of diversity�

Last edited by irishvanguard; 01-24-2020 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 01-24-2020, 09:56 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Lol, they can f right off listing China. How in the world do you list a country that has active concentration camps? Might as well put Nazi Germany if you have access to a time machine. Disgusting.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:57 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Lived in Switzerland and let me tell you how great Americans have it.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:58 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
The happiest countries in the world are the Scandinavian countries, owing to the fact that there are not extreme differences between the ultra wealthy and the poorest citizens. The ultra wealthy pay taxes accordingly, unlike this country, where the ultra wealthy can pay less than someone making $50K per year. Factor in that healthcare is accessible by all people and you give an entire nation a sense of ease in one of the most important aspects of anyones life, the right to affordable healthcare.

I would think the United States would top the list of places to live if you are very wealthy, otherwise, living in this country can be a real struggle for those making less than $50K per year. I love Europe, but having a million Middle Eastern refugees flood the continent is going to make it harder for everyone living there as resources are going to be strained by these refugees, and crime is likely to increase.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:01 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
The U.S. and Australia are the only two of the top 10 where I would like to live.
Weather would prevent me from choosing most of the others.
YMMV

Old 01-24-2020, 10:02 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The happiest countries in the world are the Scandinavian countries, owing to the fact that there are not extreme differences between the ultra wealthy and the poorest citizens. The ultra wealthy pay taxes accordingly, unlike this country, where the ultra wealthy can pay less than someone making $50K per year. Factor in that healthcare is accessible by all people and you give an entire nation a sense of ease in one of the most important aspects of anyones life, the right to affordable healthcare.

I would think the United States would top the list of places to live if you are very wealthy, otherwise, living in this country can be a real struggle for those making less than $50K per year. I love Europe, but having a million Middle Eastern refugees flood the continent is going to make it harder for everyone living there as resources are going to be strained by these refugees, and crime is likely to increase.
And they are homogenous so no worries about "others" LOL. Hilarious. Crime and Middle Eastern refugees in the same sentence? Are you feeling alright?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies