Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 05:55 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Give it up --- the richest man in America makes $81,000.00 a year. and that is all anyone needs to know.
Your jealousy is rushing out like an avalanche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 06:18 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
False. You have people paying $15/month phone service while not having $400 in saving.

This is not something even I am willing to pay. I promptly canceled my service when our usage drops to once a month.

Yet you have people here arguing why this is a great idea for the poor.

Nobody in America is poor. People make their choices to stay poor while blaming others.

You try holding a job without phone and anymore internet too probably. Now there are ultra low use cheapo phone plans less than $50 a year. Get one of those and voila you have a phone number. Most phones can connect via wifi. Even phones without a plan. But you want a phone number then you gotta have a plan. Once you have a phone plan number you can then easily get a google voice number if you want one. No idea if you then discontinue your phone plan if Google then regularly checks that you continue to have an actual paid plan???

And sorry but poor is relative. Cost of living matters. America is not cheap place to live. It costs whole lot more to live here at low end than middle class in some third world country. Minimum rent lot places in America is as much or more than a full time minimum wage worker earns total. In America there are no truly cheap places to rent unless you want to live in a box on sidewalk. Or live in somebody's spare closet. And those suggesting living 20 people to an apartment to get rent to something affordable should try it sometime. Besides being illegal most places, trying to coordinate everything and keep people's stuff from being stolen is not easy peasy. Such situations are called pure desperation NOT being frugal.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:28 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes, loss of income is the #1 reason. But medical bills (#2) can be overwhelming for lots of hard-working, responsible people.
They don't have to be. Doctors and hospitals routinely set up payment plans. Just keep making the payments, and you'll be OK, financially.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:29 PM

8,234 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
You try holding a job without phone and anymore internet too probably. Now there are ultra low use cheapo phone plans less than $50 a year. Get one of those and voila you have a phone number. Most phones can connect via wifi. Even phones without a plan. But you want a phone number then you gotta have a plan. Once you have a phone plan number you can then easily get a google voice number if you want one. No idea if you then discontinue your phone plan if Google then regularly checks that you continue to have an actual paid plan???
Google voice sometimes does make you verify a number again. I lost one number due to not having the old number anymore. I had to get a new account. I don't think they regularly check. I think it's random.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
12% IS significant because the shareholder with the next most shares is McKenzie, his ex-wife, and she only has 4%.

Since Jeff hold 3 times as many shares as the next largest shareholder, Jeff's share would be deemed significant.
But not enough to comprise a controlling interest. It would be quite easy for a coalition of other shareholders to override whatever Bezos voted for if they wanted to. Surpassing a 12% vote would be rather easy.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:34 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They don't have to be. Doctors and hospitals routinely set up payment plans. Just keep making the payments, and you'll be OK, financially.
Well, if it were that easy, medical bills wouldn't be the #2 most common reason for personal bankruptcy in the US.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Well, if it were that easy, medical bills wouldn't be the #2 most common reason for personal bankruptcy in the US.
Credit card and other consumer debt due to overspending is also a common reason for personal bankruptcy. The object is to manage debt effectively, if one must be in debt.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:10 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Credit card and other consumer debt due to overspending is also a common reason for personal bankruptcy. The object is to manage debt effectively, if one must be in debt.
Sure. But I didn't make up the data from the ABI (link in my post upthread). The data speaks for itself. Again, medical bills are the #2 most common reason for personal bankruptcy.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:34 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Give it up --- the richest man in America makes $81,000.00 a year. and that is all anyone needs to know.
How much the richest man in America makes has no bearing on me. I spent my life working hard (started and ran my own business), and earned enough to buy a nice home, travel, and put aside a good amount of my income toward retirement. What possible bearing would Jeff Bezos or any other rich person have on me?

Your envy won't do you any good.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:36 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Never had so much in the bank I got 4 raises at work last 2 years because I got offers from other companies to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies