Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2020, 08:05 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
It's interesting how people in the u.s. see the economics of it all ... what they take on in a debate and what they defend, that's all.

40% of Americans struggle to pay for at least one basic need like food or rent

"Some economists point to growing inequality in the U.S. and say the rich get richer, while the poor are stuck in low-paid jobs."

Andrew Yang is telling people that the reason Donald Trump got elected is that we automated away 4 million manufacturing jobs in the very states that Trump needed to win and did win in the election. I don't agree with him; not that 4 million jobs were automated away --- but that is the reason a person like Trump is POTUS.

Human value and economic value is one in the same in the u.s. culture ...

The American culture is one founded on 'pull yourself up by your bootstrap', which is fine, but doesn't do anything for a person who is barefoot. This thread is a testament to that and that many have no understanding, why it is a person doesn't even own a pair of boots.

Maybe like the blind men and elephant, (limited perspective on the objective truth) when viewed in part, the whole is unseen. Our politicians are not talking about the elephant in the room ... and why should they, when the citizens are only going to see what they want to see, regardless of the reality ... viewed only in part, not as a whole.

Andrew Yang says we need to rewrite the economic rules of the 21st century so the economy will work for us ... seems to me people are saying --- the rules are fine, even in times of automation, which stands to displace a lot of people in the workforce, people will figure it out on their own, and if they don't, there is something wrong with them.

What people are saying is that the economic boot is not on people's necks, but on their feet instead --- they just need to realize it and move forward.
If the rich is getting richer but the poor is stagnating, where did the rich get the money from???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 09:57 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If the rich is getting richer but the poor is stagnating, where did the rich get the money from???
That is a good question. When you figure out the answer, do let us all know.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:20 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,976 times
If the OP had read the actual study, https://www.federalreserve.gov/publi...lds-201905.pdf he/she would have learned that all economic metrics have improved since 2016. If the OP has read the study, then the OP is just lying. From page 29:

Old 02-04-2020, 05:33 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
It's interesting how people in the u.s. see the economics of it all ... what they take on in a debate and what they defend, that's all.

40% of Americans struggle to pay for at least one basic need like food or rent

"Some economists point to growing inequality in the U.S. and say the rich get richer, while the poor are stuck in low-paid jobs."

Andrew Yang is telling people that the reason Donald Trump got elected is that we automated away 4 million manufacturing jobs in the very states that Trump needed to win and did win in the election. I don't agree with him; not that 4 million jobs were automated away --- but that is the reason a person like Trump is POTUS.

Human value and economic value is one in the same in the u.s. culture ...

The American culture is one founded on 'pull yourself up by your bootstrap', which is fine, but doesn't do anything for a person who is barefoot. This thread is a testament to that and that many have no understanding, why it is a person doesn't even own a pair of boots.

Maybe like the blind men and elephant, (limited perspective on the objective truth) when viewed in part, the whole is unseen. Our politicians are not talking about the elephant in the room ... and why should they, when the citizens are only going to see what they want to see, regardless of the reality ... viewed only in part, not as a whole.

Andrew Yang says we need to rewrite the economic rules of the 21st century so the economy will work for us ... seems to me people are saying --- the rules are fine, even in times of automation, which stands to displace a lot of people in the workforce, people will figure it out on their own, and if they don't, there is something wrong with them.

What people are saying is that the economic boot is not on people's necks, but on their feet instead --- they just need to realize it and move forward.
What does that have to do with Bezos earning a salary of $81,000/year? Absolutely nothing.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:41 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
That is a good question. When you figure out the answer, do let us all know.
The vast majority of wealthy Americans (depends on how you classify that, but I'd say $5 million net worth and up) became so by starting and running their own business. Only a small percentage inherited anything of substance (or anything at all). Read the Millionaire Next Door.

Gates and Bezos both started their businesses in a garage.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:47 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Agree. To make it clearer to the leftist.....OOPS!!…..the PERSON who said that having $10,000 credit available on your credit card is the same as having $10,000 in savings, consider this:

Would you prefer that a bank approve you for a $200,000 HELOC at 4%, or would you prefer that someone just give you $200,000 free and clear to do with what you will that you don't have to repay?
Not the same thing. In my scenario you already have the money. If you have $10,000 saved and you need $10,000 for an emergency like, God forbid you or a loved one is on vacation and needs to pay for an air ambulance to get home .

One of my parents worked in the garment industry and the business owner once told them, "the more you touch your money the less of it you will have." As kids we would pour coins from one hand to the next to see if any money would disappear. It seems like a western thing to think of your saved money as something you will spend one day. Your saved money is a source of power or leverage. The amount you have saved is relative to your power. By "power" I mean your ability to make decisions like what kind of car you will drive. I never touch my saved money. I walk into a bank with a piece of paper and walk out of the bank with a piece of paper.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:59 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What does that have to do with Bezos earning a salary of $81,000/year? Absolutely nothing.
What does bezos's salary, that doesn't count the rest of his earnings, have to do with the subject of the thread?

Old 02-04-2020, 07:01 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Not the same thing. In my scenario you already have the money. If you have $10,000 saved and you need $10,000 for an emergency like, God forbid you or a loved one is on vacation and needs to pay for an air ambulance to get home .

One of my parents worked in the garment industry and the business owner once told them, "the more you touch your money the less of it you will have." As kids we would pour coins from one hand to the next to see if any money would disappear. It seems like a western thing to think of your saved money as something you will spend one day. Your saved money is a source of power or leverage. The amount you have saved is relative to your power. By "power" I mean your ability to make decisions like what kind of car you will drive. I never touch my saved money. I walk into a bank with a piece of paper and walk out of the bank with a piece of paper.
That is all well and good, but your original premise was that a line of credit or a credit card is the same as saved money, which is not the case.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:04 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
What does bezos's salary, that doesn't count the rest of his earnings, have to do with the subject of the thread?
Who knows? Ellis Bell is whining incessantly about it.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:23 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That is all well and good, but your original premise was that a line of credit or a credit card is the same as saved money, which is not the case.
I use my credit card exactly like I use a withdrawal from my bank account. I spend it and put it right back. How is that not the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies