Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 07:18 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
A Samsung A10 costs $180. Sneakers at TJ Maxx or wherever start at $20. Why do people have to have iPhones and Nikes?
Even better: I bought my Samsung Galaxy for $79, and that included a year's worth of minutes. In the meantime, you have people who don't have $400 in the bank going out and putting a $1000 iPhone on a credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 07:20 AM

6,983 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Give those 40% that $400 and I wager within 1 week they will be back to $0 in the bank.
Exactly. $400 will burn a hole in their pocket if they don't blow it on a new tattoo or some fake nails.

On the other hand, why keep $400 in the bank earning 0 interest when you have a credit card balance at 24%???

Old 01-24-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
my kids (14 and just turned 18) have over $400 each. From working. No allowance.
I had $400 by age 15, from saving money from my after-school babysitting job.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:21 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you don't have a problem with a significant % spending all their income, I don't either. Just have folks like jojajn quit telling us it's a problem. and quit having them ask us for more disposable income.
So you don't see it as a problem that we have that many people burning through their disposable income, and yet we still can't crack 3% GDP growth on the regular? And you don't see how the funneling of money to the top percentiles directly impacts the struggling economy?

Old 01-24-2020, 07:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
A Samsung A10 costs $180. Sneakers at TJ Maxx or wherever start at $20. Why do people have to have iPhones and Nikes?
Who told you 40% of Americans have latest model iPhones and Nikes? Just because a CD poster named Rachel said so, doesn't mean it is true. It should be beyond obvious it is not true.

12 million latest model iPhones have been sold, so even if ALL of them were sold to the poor people, it would be nowhere near 40% of Americans. 40% of the iPhone 11 sales were the cheapest model, not the most expensive one as Rachel claims.

Even if it were true, US is consumer based economy, and apparently 40% of Americans spend every penny they have and yet the GDP growth is anemic. How does that mesh with the claim that this is the best economy mankind has ever seen?

Old 01-24-2020, 07:23 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Well first, let's dispense with your implied argument/assertion that of the 40% of Americans who cannot save $400, the most or all are at minimum wage or below.

Per Bureau of Labor Statistics:

2.3% of the 58.3% that are paid hourly make at or below the minimum wage, which represents 1.34% of the paid workforce.

Using arithmetic, can you tell me if 1.34 < 40?

Now here's where you'll rebut about what if they can't find roommates, or have 7 kids, or are disabled, or whatever, and I would then have you go do your own research and arithmetic on the percentage of that 1.34% of the workforce making minimum wage that cannot find roommates, have 7 kids or are disabled. It's probably a very small chunk, like 1-2%, which puts us at something like 0.02% of the workforce qualifying under your various "yeah, but what about..." scenarios.
"can't rep you again" which means not enough people make neutral fact-driven posts.

I would disagree that only 1-2% of the 1.34% fall into the "truly need help" category. But it's somewhere between 2% and 100% - and we should surely be able to identify them.

We know 4.7% of 18-64 Americans receive disability from Social Security (per SSA). How many of those live with an earner we don't know.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No, in the best-ever economy, 40% of people still can't afford the latest iPhone and overpriced Nikes. Big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And that should be a huge warning sign that things aren't as good as we are being told. Not even close.
Why is it a huge warning sign that people can't afford to buy a $1000 iPhone? They can get the $79 Samsung just like I did.

And that's the problem with liberal thinking: they think if people can't afford the most expensive iPhone, things are bad. I say as long as they can afford the basics, things are good.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Who told you 40% of Americans have latest model iPhones and Nikes? Just because a CD poster named Rachel said so, doesn't mean it is true. It should be beyond obvious it is not true.

Even if it were true, US is consumer based economy, and apparently 40% of Americans spend every penny they have and yet the GDP growth is anemic. How does that mesh with the claim that this is the best economy mankind has ever seen?
Stop doing that liberal thing - you know, where you put words in other people's mouths to advance liberalism?

I NEVER said 40% of Americans have the latest Iphones! The liberal poster I responded to was complaining that 40% of Americans can't afford a $1000 (!!!) Iphone, and that proved the economy wasn't so great! I said that was NOT a problem, as people can buy a smartphone for as little as $79, like I did.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:27 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Meh that is on them.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:29 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Why is it a huge warning sign that people can't afford to buy a $1000 iPhone? They can get the $79 Samsung just like I did.

And that's the problem with liberal thinking: they think if people can't afford the most expensive iPhone, things are bad. I say as long as they can afford the basics, things are good.
You must be one of those lucky people who doesn't believe in retirement plans bc you've got a fairy godmother that just doubles the money under your mattress every few years.

The rest of us need Apple and MS and Amazon to continue to do well for our own retirement needs. Saying people need to stop spending money on the bellwethers of the economy is how you
a. cripple an economy now and
b. cripple retirement for people in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies