Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 04:35 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
See how I bolded the word credit? That's tax law. And the part about the government collecting more revenue taxing corporations as they do, allowing various tax deductions and credits, is correct.

Again, you're conflating Bezos with Amazon. They're two different entities. As such, they're taxed differently. WHY cant you understand that?
It's like talking to a brick wall - same with trying to get them to understand the difference between legal and illegal immigration. They aren't interested in learning or thinking - only parroting memorized talking points. Ignorance is bliss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 04:38 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
You're projecting. You have been shown the data that iPhone sales are not dropping, yet continue to make the claim. You are obviously only interested in partisan bickering.
You have been parroting things about HIGH END iPhones, and I told you they have cut orders, and in response you moved the goal posts to include ALL iPhones.

I am not seeking your agreement on the issue, since you pull your claims out of thin air and then ask others to spoon feed you information anyone can Google on their own.

Where did you get the idea people with no savings run around with HIGH END iPhones?

Everyone knows it is an invented claim aka pseudo-conservative fake news.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:41 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Oh, please. After the nasty remarks about Walmart shoppers emanating from liberals ("you can smell the Walmart shoppers"), you don't think that your remarks about my being a Walmart shopper is meant as a put-down? Here's your comment:

Bargain hunting on black Friday is an American tradition to many folks. I'll bet Rachel elbows her way into a local Wallmart every black Friday.

And why would you make such a comment? It's because I am financially responsible and thus have saved for my retirement. It just shows more of the upside-down thinking of liberals: that people who spend responsibly so they don't become a financial burden to others are ridiculed, while irresponsible people without even $400 to their names are defended when they spend money on 55" flat-screen TVs, weekly manicures, cruises, and expensive dinners out at Morton's.

If more people emulated ME (a middle-earner who, despite your put-downs about my being cheap, has lived a very comfortable lifestyle that has included the ability to build a savings account) the country would we be a better place. The idea that you think that means I'm a cheapskate who only goes to Applebee's (there's a world of difference between an $11 dinner at Applebee's and a $90 dinner at Morton's) also shows the all-or-nothing thinking of liberals.
Finn, you know full well that among liberal circles to use a claim that someone shops at Walmart is to infer that person is lower class or uneducated. You are using bait and hook type of rhetoric here to show your disdain for people whom you consider less than.

It is exactly this type of behavior from the Democrat elite and their propaganda arm that pushed Trump over the line in 2016.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:43 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Oh, please. After the nasty remarks about Walmart shoppers emanating from liberals ("you can smell the Walmart shoppers"), you don't think that your remarks about my being a Walmart shopper is meant as a put-down? Here's your comment:

Bargain hunting on black Friday is an American tradition to many folks. I'll bet Rachel elbows her way into a local Wallmart every black Friday.

And why would you make such a comment? It's because I am financially responsible and thus have saved for my retirement. It just shows more of the upside-down thinking of liberals: that people who spend responsibly so they don't become a financial burden to others are ridiculed, while irresponsible people without even $400 to their names are defended when they spend money on 55" flat-screen TVs, weekly manicures, cruises, and expensive dinners out at Morton's.

If more people emulated ME (a middle-earner who, despite your put-downs about my being cheap, has lived a very comfortable lifestyle that has included the ability to build a savings account) the country would we be a better place. The idea that you think that means I'm a cheapskate who only goes to Applebee's (there's a world of difference between an $11 dinner at Applebee's and a $90 dinner at Morton's) also shows the all-or-nothing thinking of liberals.
55" tvs are cheap now.

This one includes a roku (integrated) for $279.00.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:47 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Which is why I have the high deductible plan. Eventually I'll be paying thousands of dollars out of pocket for something because I chose to save money on premiums rather than opting for a no deductible plan. The price difference is about $3,000 a year though between those plans. Over the past 8 years of being self-employed with a high-deductible plan I've yet to come anywhere close to that.

The "affordable" in the Affordable Care Act is the same as the "affordable" in affordable housing. It has nothing to do with it being anymore affordable. It just means that for low-income people on welfare someone else does the affording. They should really call it the Afforded by Others Care Act, AOCA. I'll admit, I was surprised by the extent to which it drove up the cost of insurance but I knew it was only going to get more expensive. It couldn't be any other way when you had a bill that prevented insurers from price discriminating for pre-existing conditions, limited how much more high-risk older populations could be charged to 3x what young people were charged despite the actuarial costs being for more than that, and required maternity coverage which almost no one on the individual market bought because it was so expensive. Obviously it was going to cost more and not less. Since it had nothing to do with trying to make healthcare cost less, stupid to call it the Affordable Care Act... but then it's just government vernacular and I already knew what it actually meant was welfare subsidies for the low-income so it's not like it surprised me.

The issue, is really of course the cost. It's like housing in San Francisco. Welfare housing just isn't much of a solution when the average 1 bedroom apartment is $3,500/month. There's not enough others to pay for all the people who can't afford $3,500 for a 1 bedroom apartment. Health insurance is the same way. That's why there's the 400% of FPL limit. It's so expensive, particularly for high-risk populations, that it's not like insurance is particularly affordable for someone such as yourself where it costs $900/month if they've got a MAGI of $50,000 (just over 400% of FPL for an individual). It's downright unaffordable. But then if you didn't have that limit and just applied the standard 9.5% of income, you'd be giving welfare to individuals with a MAGI of $113,000 a year whose insurance cost $900/month. There's not enough others to left at that point to pay the welfare bennies.
Yes, you get it. My high-deductible plan is $900 a month - and that's the bronze. When I looked the silver plans, they were close to $1200 a month, and still carried a fairly high deductible. I figured I saved close to $5,000 in premiums by going with the bronze, and I could allocate that to medical expenses. Obamacare is really a catastrophic plan that forces middle-earners (lower-earners are subsidized) at "full" health insurance prices.

Anyway, we are off topic here, so I won't belabor it. Just wanted to respond to your post.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Oh, please. After the nasty remarks about Walmart shoppers emanating from liberals ("you can smell the Walmart shoppers"), you don't think that your remarks about my being a Walmart shopper is meant as a put-down?
I have never heard such remarks coming from liberals. Can you find a quote?

Quote:
Here's your comment:

And why would you make such a comment?
Because you despise people spending too much, and go on about how they should look for cheaper deals, like $75 Samsung phones, so I assumed you might actually live by the same standard. However you have made it crystal clear that you consider such things to be a mile beneath you. You were INSULTED by the idea that you'd shop at Wallmart, and your sidekick said only white trash eats at Applebees. Such comments define the word "elitist".

You love to tell others how to live their lives and how to spend their money, but you find it insulting when people assume you live by the very standard you advocate for others.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
55" tvs are cheap now.

This one includes a roku (integrated) for $279.00.
First, that doesn't mean people are buying some cheap roku. (Never heard of it.) Plenty of people with no savings are still going for more expensive ones.

And sorry, a person without any money saved does not need a 55" TV. But that was only one example. We are also talking about people who don't have $400 saved for an emergency, but buy cruises, manicures, and dinners out at Morton's (complete with appetizers and drinks).

Old 01-30-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Because you despise people spending too much, and go on about how they should look for cheaper deals, like $75 Samsung phones, so I assumed you might actually live by the same standard. However you have made it crystal clear that you consider such things to be a mile beneath you. You were INSULTED by the idea that you'd shop at Wallmart, and your sidekick said only white trash eats at Applebees. Such comments define the word "elitist".

You love to tell others how to live their lives and how to spend their money, but you find it insulting when people assume you live by the very standard you advocate for others.

Wow. More liberal extremism, complete with false accusations. I do not "despise" people for spending "too much." I have criticized people who have no savings, and then spend money on expensive items they can't afford, safe in the knowledge that American taxpayers will bail them out.

As far as living by the standard I advocate for others, more false extremism. I advocate everyone live by the SAME standard: that they live within their means. For some people, that would mean cruises, steakhouse dinners, and Iphones are fine; for others, it is irresponsible.

What is more telling (and again revealing that you are truly a liberal) is your belief that everyone "deserves" the same. If one person can afford to go to Morton's, then everyone should. In your mind, you think that just because someone is of "limited means" is no reason they shouldn't be able to go to expensive dinners like upper-middle class people.

(Finally, I was not insulted by the idea of going to Walmart. I objected to your use of it to try and insult me. Liberals have used the Walmart insult for over a year now. They can "smell Walmart shoppers," remember?)

Old 01-30-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Finn, you know full well that among liberal circles to use a claim that someone shops at Walmart is to infer that person is lower class or uneducated. You are using bait and hook type of rhetoric here to show your disdain for people whom you consider less than.
No, I dont know that. I challenge you to back up your claim with proof.

Your post is a classic example of psychological projection.

I am not liberal, nor Democrat, and nor have I ever heard the stuff you are talking about coming from liberals.

Rachel was insulted when I mentioned Wallmart, and you said only white trash eats at Applebee's, so I don't think you are in a position to call anyone else an elitist, when you guys are on full display of making elitist comments. No one else has done it, only you two. Textbook example of psychological projection

Old 01-30-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Right from Peter Strozk email:

'Just went to a Southern Virginia Walmart. I could smell the Trump support.'

He was making fun of what he perceived as the poor white trash who supports Trump, and liberals ran with it. (Just a few days ago a liberal panel on CNN were mocking Trump supporters in the same way.) And you did the same - using Walmart as an insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies