Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 07:41 AM

89,003 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
But Wal-Mart doesn't save people that much more money on QUALITY items, although it might be true that you can save money on food -- but not enough for me to force myself to shop there, as we are probably talking about a 10% savings at most. (Oh, and btw, I buy my clothes mostly online, and I shop sales and clearance.)

And, just btw, the main reason that I don't shop at Wal-Mart is not because I am a snob, but because I found it to be such an unpleasant shopping experience. Crowded aisles, inferior merchandise, and VERY long check-out lines is just not worth it to me, but the MAIN reason I now refuse to shop there is because I watched the documentary, "The High Cost of Low Prices", which exposed their terrible business and employee practices. (I won't do any shopping through Amazon, either.)
Probably a good choice for those wanting anything other than no frills shopping. Both Walmart and Amazon only have about 3% profit margins. There's not much extra from which to squeeze higher wages for employees, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 07:44 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I mostly eat at home - we cook probably 80% or more of our meals. No, I do not eat at Applebees, because I want to support local businesses and also have quality food. When we eat out, it's typically a handful of local Asian restaurants - Indian, Thai, Japanese. My partner is Korean and cooks well, so 75% of our diet is rice, soups, kimchi, etc.
Ok, and now please answer the important part:

Question

Please help me understand how eating at Applebee's makes you look ignorant? Earlier you suggested that people who eat there are white trash.

Can you clarify that please, because I sincerely don't get it. Honest to God.

Should I feel like a loser for eating at a family restaurant like Applebee's? Everyone else I know eats in such places.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:47 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ok, and now please answer the important part:

Question

Please help me understand how eating at Applebee's makes you look ignorant? Earlier you suggested that people who eat there are white trash.

Can you clarify that please, because I sincerely don't get it. Honest to God.

Should I feel like a loser for eating at a family restaurant like Applebee's? Everyone else I know eats in such places.
If you are not aware of what you were expressing, then perhaps you were expressing it from your subconscious. Among liberal elites, it is looked down on shopping at Walmart or eating at places like Applebees and they believe only 'white trash conservatives' patronize such places - if you did not know that, then I am sorry, and now you have been informed.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:48 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
If you are not aware of what you were expressing, then perhaps you were expressing it from your subconscious. Among liberal elites, it is looked down on shopping at Walmart or eating at places like Applebees and they believe only 'white trash conservatives' patronize such places - if you did not know that, then I am sorry, and now you have been informed.
Yeah, pretty sure they forgot to give us the copy of liberal playbook you and Rachel keeping referring to. There's a class element to it, but if anything that would make it more likely that liberals eat at Applebee's and regularly shop at WalMart. I don't particularly perceive either to have any political identity at all. Chick-fil-a maybe, but even there plenty of non-woke liberals eat there.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:50 AM

89,003 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Tax cuts are free stuff to everybody are they not?
No, but refundable tax credits that still pay out after the sum of federal income tax and payroll tax has been completely offset IS free stuff.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do you really not understand the difference??

1) Yes, I booked a $7,000 trip because I have lived within my means for my entire adult life (40 years) and amassed a substantial nest egg. Thus I am able to treat myself to luxuries.

2) People who do not even have $400 in emergency fund should not book a $1500 cruise or spend on ANY luxuries until they have an emergency fund. To do otherwise is irresponsible.

You are doing exactly what liberals always advance: that everyone should get the same, regardless of whether they've worked and saved and have a good amount of money; or if they spend so irresponsibly on luxuries that they don't even have $400 in an emergency fund.

EVERYONE GETS THE SAME! Responsible savers and irresponsible spenders.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:01 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, pretty sure they forgot to give us the copy of liberal playbook you and Rachel keeping referring to. There's a class element to it, but if anything that would make it more likely that liberals eat at Applebee's and regularly shop at WalMart. I don't particularly perceive either to have any political identity at all. Chick-fil-a maybe, but even there plenty of non-woke liberals eat there.
Except that a famous biased leftist trying to orchestrate a way to block Trump made a nasty remark about Walmart shoppers, and other liberals have jumped on the bandwagon.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:07 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Do you really not understand the difference??

1) Yes, I booked a $7,000 trip because I have lived within my means for my entire adult life (40 years) and amassed a substantial nest egg. Thus I am able to treat myself to luxuries.

2) People who do not even have $400 in emergency fund should not book a $1500 cruise.

You are doing exactly what liberals always advance: that everyone should get the same, regardless of whether they've worked and saved and have a good amount of money; or if they spend so irresponsibly on luxuries that they don't even have $400 in an emergency fund.

EVERYONE GETS THE SAME! Responsible savers and irresponsible spenders.
In a way, yes. If an irresponsible spender books a $7,000 cruise they get to go on the same $7,000 cruise. Where I may differ though is I feel absolutely no empathy for the irresponsible spender then carrying $7,000 cruise on a credit card so it costs them $9,000 instead of $7,000 including the interest.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:09 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post

And when people find themselves in that situation, putting away $10/wk is not only impossible, it's dumb. People having to pay down credit card bills for an emergency car repair or medical bill should be squirreling away $20/M into a savings account? Be quiet. It's advice like that tells me you're just as dumb as the people you criticize.
on this point, you're actually correct. In general, anyone holding a credit card balance should be paying that first, rather than adding to a simple liquid savings account. Now, if you're paying 10% interest on a card, and deciding whether to contribute to a 401K with a match, then you should look more closely at the financial situation.

Quote:
I guarantee most of you armchair financiers would find yourself in the same situation if you were suddenly earning below what you'd consider your standard of living. 95% of yall wouldn't even dream of getting a roommate if your financial situations sunk, so drop the holier than thou act. The only reason you're not living hand to mouth is that your earnings let you cover your poor decisions. And if that situation changed, you'd still be making your poor decisions, and you'd suddenly find yourself in the 40%.
When the recession hit, you can see my occupation, and I assure you my financial picture worsened dramatically. Dramatically. From 2009 - 2012, in 3 of those 4 years, my earnings were less than $20/hr. It taught me to save first, spend second. I drove a 2008 car, in my profession, until 2019 even though i could "afford" more. I'm still watching a 2006 big screen even though the latest models are 1/3 of what I paid back then. And I could afford to walk in the shop today and buy any model I "wanted". Or, I can put $300-$1,000 in savings/investment.

And that's all that most people - anecdotes or not - are asking/suggesting/expecting/demanding. When times are good, put some away so that when times go bad - and there's a big risk for ALL of us they will - you'll actually have a cushion. Don't see $400 in your bank account and wonder "Hmmm, should I buy X?"

Old 01-30-2020, 08:12 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I didn't say it was. Pay attention. The blanket position that everyone should be saving $20/m when a lot of these people have outstanding or recurring medical bills, or credit card debtthey got into when they were in a bind, or some unexpected life event that wiped out whatever savings they did they have is a dumb position to take.
ok, so what % of the 40% do you ascribe to folks in this situation? There's 10% of adults living below the poverty line. That leaves 30% - almost 1/3 - that aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies