Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 06:49 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And this is what the Republicans call a great economy?

Someone has been fooling the people.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/10-america...ry?id=63253846
Maybe in the red States. Not here in NY...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 06:54 PM

88,965 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
3 years in a row he has not --- and I'm done with your trolling.
Again, what makes you think Bezos pays zero federal income tax?

Old 02-01-2020, 04:05 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Again, what makes you think Bezos pays zero federal income tax?
Fact check: Andrew Yang says Amazon pays "literally zero in taxes"

"Amazon’s SEC filings in 2017 showed it did not expect to owe any federal tax, and in fact expected to get a $137 million refund from the federal government."

Fact Checker:

"On to the claim Amazon doesn’t pay federal taxes, the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, a nonprofit, nonpartisan tax policy organization, backs this, saying Amazon “didn’t pay a single cent of federal income taxes” and was “far from paying the statutory 21 percent income tax rate on its U.S. income in 2018.”"

" ... allies in Congress have, so far, shown little interest in answering the tough questions about why their new corporate tax law can’t lay a glove on one of the most valuable and profitable corporations in the world."

Old 02-01-2020, 04:26 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:

"Amazon’s SEC filings in 2017 showed it did not expect to owe any federal tax, and in fact expected to get a $137 million refund from the federal government."

Fact Checker:

"On to the claim Amazon doesn’t pay federal taxes, the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, a nonprofit, nonpartisan tax policy organization, backs this, saying Amazon “didn’t pay a single cent of federal income taxes” and was “far from paying the statutory 21 percent income tax rate on its U.S. income in 2018.”"

" ... allies in Congress have, so far, shown little interest in answering the tough questions about why their new corporate tax law can’t lay a glove on one of the most valuable and profitable corporations in the world."
I've yet to see anyone dispute that Amazon pays zero in taxes, but you keep dodging the actual question rather than addressing Bezos as an individual.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Fact Checker:

That's Amazon, the corporation. You claimed Bezos pays no federal income tax. Prove it.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I've yet to see anyone dispute that Amazon pays zero in taxes, but you keep dodging the actual question rather than addressing Bezos as an individual.
That's because Ellis Bell has no clue whatsoever. EB keeps thinking Amazon and Bezos are one and the same. Low-info? Who knows why?

Old 02-01-2020, 05:19 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
That's because Ellis Bell has no clue whatsoever. EB keeps thinking Amazon and Bezos are one and the same. Low-info? Who knows why?
The funny part is that Bezos owns less than 10% of Amazon.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:34 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
When I hear that an individual or a company has paid 0 taxes my first question is: "Who wrote in the loopholes that allowed it?"
The left has suddenly become tax nazis. They however were either silent or defend Charles Rangel when he was caught cheating on his taxes. He was head of the ways and means committee at the time. This once again boils down to, It's ok if it's one of our guys, but a cardinal sin if it's the other team.

back on topic.

Math is our friend.

$7.70 a week will deliver you $400 in a year in a savings account. A carton of cigarettes is over $100 in many states. 10 packs to a carton. 1 pack less a week = $520.

I haven't bought a beer in a bar stateside in a few years. It was like $3 a bottle. Very few content themselves with 1 bottle.

There are a 1001 ways to save $400 in a year rich or poor.

My wife and I used to put our daily change in a jar, take it to the bank once a year. We seldom had less than $120.00. Used the money for a family day out. The kids got to pick what we did. LOL one year they surprised me and put the money towards a lazyboy recliner for me. Sometimes it's good to be king. haha

My point is saving requires commitment. Obviously 40% of Americans simply don't have the discipline to save. How that is the other 60%'s fault or problem is beyond me.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:02 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Apparently it wasn't enough.
Amazon, Jeff Bezos is not doing anything illegal ---
Quote:
What makes you think Bezos pays zero federal income tax?
Amazon didn't pay taxes. Bezos, as an employee, makes $80 000 a year in salary.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Amazon didn't pay taxes. Bezos, as an employee, makes $80 000 a year in salary.
Yes, we know. Ellis Bell is having a problem understanding that Amazon, the corporation, is a differently taxed entity than Bezos, the individual employee. Bezos pays federal income tax on his Amazon salary plus whatever taxable investment income (interest payments, dividends, capital gains,etc.) he has each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies