Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 05:43 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,940,422 times

Advertisements

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A student is suing Drake University in Des Moines, along with a fraternity at the school and several fellow students for an unspecified amount after he said he nearly died from a hazing incident.
Court documents filed Feb. 7 show Marcus Shields is suing the school, Theta Chi fraternity, its Drake chapter and others. The lawsuit says Shields was a 19-year-old freshman last year and a Theta Chi pledge when the fraternity engaged in hazing, included coercing and forcing him to drink excessive amounts of alcohol.
Shields says he pleaded with his fraternity brothers that "he didn't want to die," and had to be taken by ambulance to a hospital for acute alcohol poisoning.

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Su...567911761.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 05:39 PM

Explosive lawsuit: Woman had to endure sex act pledging for college fraternity

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – As part of a hazing ritual, a student from Staten Island pledging to join a women’s fraternity at a college in Albany was subjected to a salacious act which was recorded and shown to other people, a lawsuit alleges.

The incident occurred on April 4, 2019, when the plaintiff, a student at the State University of New York at Albany, was seeking to join the Alpha Xi Delta fraternity, said a civil complaint.

One of her initiation tasks required the young woman to let a male student, who was a member of an associated fraternity, lick whipped cream off her breast and videotape it for others to see, said attorney Michael V. Gervasi.

https://www.silive.com/news/2020/05/...raternity.html

Old 06-04-2020, 10:31 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
If you don't want to get hazed to death don't join a frat. Give the dead frat boys Darwin awards. Problem solved.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
If you don't want to get hazed to death don't join a frat. Give the dead frat boys Darwin awards. Problem solved.

the problem is they run for office and become elected, run businesses, corporations, the media, universities, etc

Old 08-29-2020, 10:18 AM

BUFFALO, N.Y. – The University at Buffalo is conducting disciplinary proceedings involving eight students, following an internal review of evidence gathered by the Buffalo Police Department investigating the tragic death of student Sebastian Serafin-Bazan on April 12, 2019.
The review by University Police and UB’s Office of Student Conduct and Advocacy found enough evidence to warrant university disciplinary proceedings for suspected hazing, a serious violation of UB’s Student Code of Conduct.

UB review of alleged fraternity hazing evidence leads to campus disciplinary proceedings - University at Buffalo

Old 08-29-2020, 03:45 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
There is so much ignorance and bigotry about Greek life out there. It typically comes from the left because the left hates institutions that they don't control. The board's liberals didn't disappoint with their ignorant comments on this thread.
I don’t necessarily agree with your second sentence, but I agree with your first sentence and your last/third sentence.

One side of my family exists as it does because of the Greek system, as all who were college age 100-120 years ago on that side of the family met their spouses at Fraternity/Sorority events, and all of us since then have joined fraternities and sororities in college. This includes some millennials who also happen to be some of the most passionate progressives I’ve ever known.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I joined a college fraternity and my wife a sorority 30 ago. We couldn’t even make pledges do interviews or get signatures since it could be considered hazing. I thought the rules were pretty tight at the time and most abided by them. I’ve never understood occurrences like those mentioned in this thread.
My college fraternity years were before yours and after those of one our fellow posters on this thread (doc1).

Our hazing was like Ringo1 describes her sorority hazing to be. Fraternities may have been a whole different ballgame on her campus, but not on mine.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Was that your experience?

Can't relate. Neither can my son.
Neither can I, and not just for the friends I made and the experiences I had, but also for all of the great conversations I’ve had with other Greeks in my family in the decades since. It’s just part of the ‘glue’ within our family. I was a legacy to four different fraternities. Only one of those had a chapter on my campus, and I was skeptical about that chapter. I made my way to a different fraternity that no one in my family had history with as a member. However, my fraternity was also located on campuses where other family members had gone to school, so there was that link.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Fraternity are like feeder organizations into the more elite corporate white patriarchy the left keeps insisting exists.

Same game as they all played in High School.

But the Frats have been around longer than the drinking age, and even predate Prohibition.
Yes, long predate, by many decades. Even before the Civil War.

Quote:
But that 10% has a following of non brothers that hang around them so they can attend the parties. They usually act and think the same or else they wont socialize with each other.
Two of my best friends from high school attended the same university. One is my height (6’ 3”+), and the other is 5’ 6” (the same height as one of the male posters on this thread who doesn’t like fraternities). These two guys have been friends much longer than I’ve been friends with them (they met in an early year of elementary school). The shorter one, who was also overweight and probably had to start shaving when he was 9, joined a fraternity and ended up becoming the chapter president. The taller one did as you mentioned...didn’t join a fraternity, but hung around a lot of fraternity parties, but not those of our friend’s fraternity. He met his wife (now ex) in college, but I can’t remember if she was in a sorority or not. She was the kind of girl the shorter guy was always trying to date, but it never happened. The taller guy also probably could have modeled, and he was proverbially beating girls off with a stick even in high school. The taller one, as some people do when they’ve been friends forever, teased the shorter one about certain attributes that the sorter one’s girlfriends had. The jealousy coming from the shorter guy almost ended their friendship.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I look back on those days with fondness. How many times in your life will you ever live in a sorority house?

Our campus was very divided into Greek and non-Greek though. I did drift away from some of my friends because being in a sorority took up a great deal of time.

That said, I still stay in touch with many on social media and we often remember the good old days.

But fraternity hazing .. can definitely get out of hand.
Yep.

And all of the women in my family feel similarly to you and texan2yankee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies