Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 05:12 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Majority of voters credit Trump for the economy, Obama not so much, Ideal its Obama's economy is debunked once again !!!

I maintain my position that every President gets blame and credit for what happens on his watch !!!

The argument that its Obama's economy is debunked !!! Trump is a clear winner in comparison !!!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox...ary-19-22-2020
A FOX poll of 1000 people......

The poll question in itself is fairly stupid. Who is arguing its "Obama's economy". The same economic trend has continued in the past 3 years, but I dont hear people call it "Obama's economy".

2-3% GDP growth
Jobs added on a decline
LFPR unchanged
Farm bailouts

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-27-2020 at 05:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 06:44 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Majority of voters credit ...

What people think is in their own heads, it is put there (either wittingly by themselves or unwittingly by parties using some more nefarious means). What people choose to think and what reflects reality are substantially two different things, and will only match of the person is serious about getting it right. So the fact that many people are confused about what actually happened does not resolve anything, it only shows that their means of gathering information is defective.

Sometimes, groups of people are 'fed' information which they can be assumed to be receptive of.

"It's not that people ARE less safe, it's that people FEEL les safe!"
Rudy Giuliani

“Perception is more important than reality. If someone perceives something to be true, it is more important than if it is in fact true. ... don't go out of your way to correct a false assumption if it plays to your advantage"
Ivanka Trump

Sometimes, people choose to believe what comforts them. IOW they choose to believe a falsehood because the reality makes them uncomfortable in some way. Reality isn't something which can be resolved by majority opinion, we can not change reality by choosing not to believe it. It is what it is.

Last edited by Hesychios; 01-27-2020 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 01-27-2020, 07:15 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
A FOX poll of 1000 people......

The poll question in itself is fairly stupid. Who is arguing its "Obama's economy". The same economic trend has continued in the past 3 years, but I dont hear people call it "Obama's economy".

2-3% GDP growth
Jobs added on a decline
LFPR unchanged
Farm bailouts

Old 01-27-2020, 07:20 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
What page did it say this?
Nowhere, thats not a cogent sentence.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:39 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,994 times
Quote:
Majority of voters credit Trump for the economy, Obama not so much, Ideal its Obama's economy is debunked once again !!!

I maintain my position that every President gets blame and credit for what happens on his watch !!!

The argument that its Obama's economy is debunked !!! Trump is a clear winner in comparison !!!

For a minute, let's pretend you are right. So, I have to ask you, what things has Trump done to cause this great economy to exist ? Has he rolled up his sleeves and met with captains of industry and State leaders ? Has he traveled the country to see first hand the problems facing the nation? ( Golf trips and rallies do not count) Has he enlisted various experts in these areas , and actually listened to their suggestions and advice ?

From where I sit, all he does all day long is tweet. He tweets about every subject under the sun, and, if anyone, even some insignificant person, offends him, his thin skin causes him to immediately pick up his phone and tweet some insult back at them. The rest of his day is spent making up cute little names for Schiff, Pelosi, and everyone else on the other team.

If those things are improving our nation's economy, we could have hired someone at minimum wage and gotten the same results.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:40 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I agree.

The problem is that many, including Obama, never thought that what's happening now would ever happen again.

Oct 2016 - The New Normal - US Economic Growth Stuck At 1.5, 1.75 % Of GDP

It's a joint effort.

Government sets the environment and the people do the real work. The amount of work that gets done depends on how free the people are to operate. The Obama Administration put a lot of sludge in the American engine with a ton of regulations that people had to take time, resources, and effort with which to comply - which takes away from the work that gets done.
I dont think you would get any arguments that if you went deregulation heavy, then cut liabilities to industry you wouldnt get a humming economy. The question is whether thats sustainable, and the negative effects worth it.
What is your encore? How are we deregulating extraction industries any less? There is a clear and apparent bottom, to the an extent it is fools gold.
We learned this lessons in the 30's and again in the 70's. The over reaction and subsequent over correction if Bernie gets in, is not going to be subtle. Even if Trump wins, another 4 years of culture war hysterics is going to keep his base in check even though wages and jobs in rural america are still in shambles and wont be better unless the economy get rebalanced,

Old 01-27-2020, 08:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I agree that Trump should have credit for the economy under his tenure.

I also feel Obama should have credit for his. He grew the economy and brought us out of Recession. IMO he did a great job.

Trump is doing a great job by not f-ing up what Obama did on the economic front. He hasn't really done anything other than tax reform in regards to the economy and tax reform doesn't really do anything for the economy but grow the deficit when you reduce taxes.

But I'm glad that Trump isn't doing too much on the economic front. I was afraid he'd be too gung ho and try to prove how "better" he was at Obama on this front, but I think he realized/realizes as does his advisors that Obama left him a good economy in 2017 and that the best thing to do is do nothing, which is what he has done. Some, on the liberal side might feel that he shouldn't get "credit" for this, but IMO he absolutely should. Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:41 AM

45,202 posts, read 26,417,923 times
What, No love for the federal reserve and its practice of currency debasement?

Old 01-27-2020, 10:14 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Obama did well considering he didn't have a successful economy. Trump's artificial tax cuts and increased federal deficit contribute to Trump's economy.

Here are 9 charts tracking the highs and lows of the Trump, Obama, and Bush economies on key indicators like gross domestic product, unemployment, wages, and the federal debt.

Quote:
The Obama administration confronted the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression when it initially took office. It passed a massive stimulus package in February 2009 to jumpstart the economy - and it was successful. The Congressional Budget Office said in a report that GDP growth was higher from 2009-2012 in part due to the legislation.

Trump has benefited from Obama's economic stewardship, as GDP growth under his watch has consistently been between 2% to 3%. In 2018, it was 2.9%. Economic forecasters, however, project the nation's steady GDP growth to decelerate in 2019, dragged down by trade tensions and slowing industries overseas.
Quote:
Bush took over a strong economy from his predecessor, Bill Clinton, with a budget surplus of $128 billion in fiscal year 2001. And it was the last time the US government had a surplus on its hands. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as a series of tax cuts, erased it and jacked up the deficit.
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...-been-steady-1

Old 01-27-2020, 10:42 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:

The results of a poll means it's debunked??? I don't think so!!!

A majority in the poll say the economy is doing well!!!!!!!!
A majority in the poll credit Donald Trump for the economy!!!!!!
A majority in the poll disapprove of Donald Trump's job performance!!!!!
= if the economy goes down, Trump is toast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies