Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 06:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,596,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
he was not a convicted rapist as the original poster implied.

I've seen videos of his interactions with his girls. some people wish they had a dad as loving as kobe.

why do people judge a man or woman as bad or good? we are both. ask our children or spouse, no matter how much they love us. we are always both.
I don't judge however I do look at the world.

He went to my high school (Lower Merion). I remember when the case happened and I was shocked at the brutality and physical evidence.

He's not a convicted rapist. However, it's safe to assume MANY convicted rapists didn't commit violence to the level he did.

Since I'm not a Sports fan my judgement is based on the case and evidence presented back then....which he seems to have verified.

I certainly wouldn't hold him up as any example of anything. Never heard about the 100 times cheating on his wife.....but that's another story.

But the same is true of many sports figures, celebrities, musicians, etc.

Honestly I'm against the whole Hero Worship thing, when the "hero" is military, LE or plays a game.

The real heroes, assuming we want to believe in such, are the quiet people working 2 jobs and raising kids that may or may not be theirs and helping fellow neighbors and church members and so on and son on...with NO reward except their standing in the eyes of the Creator. I sure hope there is a creator for their sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 06:06 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,374,073 times
They were on hold for weather conditions; they should have landed that bird then!

Sad and stupid!

Old 01-27-2020, 06:09 PM

15,581 posts, read 10,310,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The real heroes, assuming we want to believe in such, are the quiet people working 2 jobs and raising kids that may or may not be theirs and helping fellow neighbors and church members and so on and son on...with NO reward except their standing in the eyes of the Creator. I sure hope there is a creator for their sake.
Parents who financially support their family and help their neighbors aren't heroes. they are regular people. that is the difference between my philosophy of life and yours.

you think accepting personal responsibility is being a "hero". I think it is normal behavior.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-27-2020 at 06:45 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 06:11 PM

46,187 posts, read 26,903,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
They were on hold for weather conditions; they should have landed that bird then!

Sad and stupid!

Special VFR is not good...listen to the video I posted.....that's the actual transcript of the flight......

And yes, it appears the pilot screwed the pooch....

Old 01-27-2020, 06:56 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,022,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not seeing the blind support and disagree with your assessment above . Not sure who said he was nice. He was unfaithful, like many others in sports. However, he was never found guilty of rape and the information surrounding the accusations was highly problematic. Not a fan of Kobe or the vast majority in sports. However, women like the one who accused him make it hard for true rape victims.
EXcellent post!!!!

Old 01-27-2020, 07:05 PM

10,815 posts, read 14,879,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post

Sad and stupid!
To fly under VFR (Visual Flight Rules) conditions which means the aircraft must maintain a minimum of 3 miles visibility, 500 feet below any cloud, 2,000 feet laterally from any cloud and 1,000 feet above the top of any cloud in controlled airspace.

In uncontrolled, or Class G airspace, the Visual flight rules are you must maintain 1 mile visibility and be clear of clouds.

In the area of the crash, as shown on the VFR CHART here, controlled airspace starts at 700' above ground as noted by the area inside the magenta shading. Outside the magenta shading the controlled airspace starts at 1,200' above ground level.

Inside traffic control areas, generally a five nautical mile radius around an airport with a control tower which is noted in blue on the map, controlled airspace extends to the ground which means you must maintain 3 miles visibility, 500' below, 1,000' above and 2,000 feet laterally from any cloud.

There is an exception to this and you can ask for and obtain a "Special VFR clearance" into and out of airport traffic areas but you must maintain 1 mile visibility and be clear of clouds.

There is no way the pilot maintained 1 mile visibility. It is clear to me the accident was totally the fault of the pilot who should have flow by instruments.

Many years ago when I was flight instructing I always told my students "it is far, far better to be on the ground wishing you were up there than to be up there wishing you were on the ground". The vast majority of general aviation accidents are weather related where untrained pilots pushed the boundaries.

It might be hard for some to believe but "up there in clouds" it is very easy to become disoriented to the point you would be upside down but swear you were right side up. Nobody is immune to this which is why we have instrument rated aircraft and instrument rated pilots who are the only ones allowed to fly in IFR conditions.

Chalk this accident up to pilot error. Pilot should have told his boss they were staying on the ground for "it is far, far better to be on the ground wishing you were up there than to be up there wishing you were on the ground".

Old 01-27-2020, 07:05 PM

15,697 posts, read 9,442,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Funny but most RAPISTS say that. Again, I ask. Did you think Kavanaugh was guilty on ZERO evidence?
Thirty years after the incident, I'm not sure what evidence you think there may have been. I personally felt there was some there there with Kavanaugh, but not enough t make a determination of guilt or to keep him off the court

Old 01-27-2020, 07:16 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,251,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
To fly under VFR (Visual Flight Rules) conditions which means the aircraft must maintain a minimum of 3 miles visibility, 500 feet below any cloud, 2,000 feet laterally from any cloud and 1,000 feet above the top of any cloud in controlled airspace.

In uncontrolled, or Class G airspace, the Visual flight rules are you must maintain 1 mile visibility and be clear of clouds.

In the area of the crash, as shown on the VFR CHART here, controlled airspace starts at 700' above ground as noted by the area inside the magenta shading. Outside the magenta shading the controlled airspace starts at 1,200' above ground level.

Inside traffic control areas, generally a five nautical mile radius around an airport with a control tower which is noted in blue on the map, controlled airspace extends to the ground which means you must maintain 3 miles visibility, 500' below, 1,000' above and 2,000 feet laterally from any cloud.

There is an exception to this and you can ask for and obtain a "Special VFR clearance" into and out of airport traffic areas but you must maintain 1 mile visibility and be clear of clouds.

There is no way the pilot maintained 1 mile visibility. It is clear to me the accident was totally the fault of the pilot who should have flow by instruments.

Many years ago when I was flight instructing I always told my students "it is far, far better to be on the ground wishing you were up there than to be up there wishing you were on the ground". The vast majority of general aviation accidents are weather related where untrained pilots pushed the boundaries.

It might be hard for some to believe but "up there in clouds" it is very easy to become disoriented to the point you would be upside down but swear you were right side up. Nobody is immune to this which is why we have instrument rated aircraft and instrument rated pilots who are the only ones allowed to fly in IFR conditions.

Chalk this accident up to pilot error. Pilot should have told his boss they were staying on the ground for "it is far, far better to be on the ground wishing you were up there than to be up there wishing you were on the ground".
You are incorrect. Helicopter Special VFR does not require 1 mile visibility. There are other differences from fixed wing.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,498,221 times
So this had nothing to do with the case being dropped?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...se-546981.html

Old 01-27-2020, 07:35 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,022,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This is why women who are raped don’t come forward. Likely the reason why accuser in the Kobe case decided not to testify. Victim blaming is alive and well.

It is known that she came from a wealthy family so it detracts from the theory that she trapped him in order to get a payout. The physical evidence detracts from the claim that it was consensual.
False accusations are alive and well too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies