Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 08:42 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Someone has to take a stand against these rabid mobs. I hope it is MSNBC, but am pretty sure it won't be.
They set the ground rules and now they will be forced to abide by them. While it is a big problem for Alison Morris; it is a bigger problem for MSNBC. They are caught between a rock and a hard place and I do not see how they will ever avoid the inevitable. It would fly in the face of what they have been preaching for the last few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 10:29 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I don't doubt for a second that she deliberately uttered a racial slur, and she should be given the benefit of the doubt. However.....mainstream media plays a big part in "cancel culture," so my charitable feeling here is measured. Not surprised either, that that which they helped propagate has come around to bite one of their own on the *ss.
I worded that wrongly, I meant to say that she didn't deliberately uttered a racial slur.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:30 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Be given the benefit the doubt of/for what if she deliberately uttered a racial slur?
Yes, I goofed, I meant to say I don't believe she deliberately made the slur.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:37 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Didn't hear it. Sounded more like Nae-kers, which isn't really that close. The N word doesn't have either a long A or a K sound in it.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:40 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't know. To me, it did sound like she said "Nakers," although, why would she be thinking about the Knicks at all, since they are irrelevant? In any case, why would she randomly drop the N word on air? She's apparently been on TV for a while, and she just decides that now is her chance after all these years to say the N word on air??? That is equally preposterous. I'm willing to give her the benefit of doubt since she has no apparent history of being racist. Given that MSNBC is headquarter in NY, maybe she is a Knicks fan and just had a momentarily slip up that led to the word that came out (which does sound like Nakers to me). No sense in getting hung up over it, especially when it is directly said in songs all the time with no fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
Well she is from New York.....
Yes, I realized this could be an explanation as I was typing.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:23 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
She clearly said the N word with a G so we can laugh at her being a closet racist and write MSNBC off as being okay with racism if they do nothing. Or we can be outraged and demand satisfaction which is what the left so often does. Or just accept that racism isn't a big deal and the next time somebody says something they get a pass.
Or we can accept that it wasn't clear at all and that the majority of people think it is nonsense.

Reminds me of the Laurel V Yanny thing a couple of years ago which demonstrated people seem to hear some things differently.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...hat-viral-clip

As Britt Yazel, a neuroscience doctoral student at University of California, Davis said on why this may happen "....the brains themselves can be wired very differently to interpret speech," he says. For example, if you hear the sounds in either "yanny" or "laurel" more in your everyday life, you might be more likely to hear them here.

Maybe that is why a certain cohort of people hear the n word when it wasn't uttered.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:04 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Blacks use n****r MORE then ALL whites.

So, when they use it are they being racist?

Can't have it both ways.
I tend to think it come from lack of self respect - I can't see Vietnamese calling themselves g****, or Jews calling themselves k****.

Heard various arguments about "taking back ownership" of the word, but to me it really just has "yes massa" vibe about it, that speaks of group trauma. It's wormed it's way into popular culture, so I guess it's here to stay.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:57 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
The guy who used a slur against MLK got fired.

WHEC apologizes to viewers after firing meteorologist Jeremy Kappell for racial slur

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ng/2499961002/

This woman hasn't been fired. Female privilege.

There's a petition goiung around to have her fired.

More than 100K sign petition for MSNBC anchor to be fired after racial slur allegation

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-new...ur-allegation/

Old 01-29-2020, 07:07 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1fD5CR_Au0

WOW!

I know there are racists of all political persuasions, but this conforms with my observation of liberal elites often being hostile toward black people. They talk a good game, but rarely live the walk in my experience. In this case, she got caught talking the racist talk. Damn. This is sick.

I'm usually willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, but for that word to even be on the tip of your tongue for such a slip is pretty damning.

More on the incident:

https://news.grabien.com/story-while...r-somehow-says

Don't expect the same kind of outrage as you'd see if such a "slip" was heard on Fox News
White liberals practice the worst form of racism. They believe it's their duty to take care of people unlike them, particularly 'people of color' because they feel they cannot make it on their own, without help from all-knowing, better people like themselves.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:38 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
White liberals practice the worst form of racism. They believe it's their duty to take care of people unlike them, particularly 'people of color' because they feel they cannot make it on their own, without help from all-knowing, better people like themselves.
A racist with a "good heart" is more likely to be liberal. A racist with a "bad heart" is more likely to be a republican. Both think that blacks are inferior, while one wants to hug and protect and the other is angry and resents that blacks want to blame their condition on something other than their inferiority and that society should not be forced to try to make equal what is inherently unequal.

Given that scenario, I can use the "hugger" to my advantage more so than I can the "hater", because the hugger needs me as much as I need the hugger. I have no leverage with the hater.

That having been said. I don't know what she meant or what she actually said. It sounded like the N word...but her explanation is totally plausible to me, especially learning that she is based in NY.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-29-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies