Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 04:46 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times

Advertisements

If the details in this article are correct (and I am not certain), then it sounds like a very good compromise: Israel will cease further settlements and up to 70% of the West Bank will form a Palestinian state. For security's sake, Israel will still have a military presence throughout the West Bank.

Early word is that Israel is accepting of it; the more moderate Arabs are accepting of it; but of course the Hamas-led Palestinians are not. It will be interesting to see if the Palestinians reject yet another offer of peace.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/trump-...k-reports-say/

Old 01-26-2020, 04:49 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
If this is the plan, I could get behind it. The Palestinians must never be allowed to have their own military alliances or control their own borders as they have proven time and time again that they are incapable of responsible stewardship regarding those issues. Internal politics? Let them have at it. But never knowingly give someone the means and keys to destroy you when they have been hellbent on such destruction for decades.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If this is the plan, I could get behind it. The Palestinians must never be allowed to have their own military alliances or control their own borders as they have proven time and time again that they are incapable of responsible stewardship regarding those issues. Internal politics? Let them have at it. But never knowingly give someone the means and keys to destroy you when they have been hellbent on such destruction for decades.
I was editing my OP as you were writing your response. I clarified it to say that Israel would still have a military presence in the new Palestinian State, which I do believe is necessary for Israel's security (as you seem to recognize as well).

Old 01-26-2020, 05:11 PM

15,837 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Negotiations between two corrupt politicians? What can possibly go wrong.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:14 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Peace in our time! Trump can do anything! Kushner too!

If he says it, it will be done. 100's of millions playing the Great Game in that Region will all come and say "Just tell us what to do, please, and we will do it"?

Or not. Sadly not.

We've had our chances - quite a few of them. But this isn't one of them. Humpty Dumpty has been broken into too many pieces now. IMHO.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The problem, my friend, is that "you" aren't the person that needs to get behind it.

That would be........
Iran
Iraq
Syria
Lebanon
Russia
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
and likely quite a few others.

The Palestinians aren't even an issue in this game. One could say "Islam" is and/or the self determination of Islamic people and countries are part of it.

Does it really appear as a simple problem to you? If Trump can't get 50% of Americans or of Congress to agree on anything (except that he did something wrong in Ukraine), how the heck could he or anyone possibly understand this situation?

This is the guy that asked what Pearl Harbor was about!

Old 01-26-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The problem, my friend, is that "you" aren't the person that needs to get behind it.

That would be........
Iran
Iraq
Syria
Lebanon
Russia
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
and likely quite a few others.

The Palestinians aren't even an issue in this game. One could say "Islam" is and/or the self determination of Islamic people and countries are part of it.

Does it really appear as a simple problem to you? If Trump can't get 50% of Americans or of Congress to agree on anything (except that he did something wrong in Ukraine), how the heck could he or anyone possibly understand this situation?

This is the guy that asked what Pearl Harbor was about!
And it appears that moderate Arabs in most of the countries you named (I know, I know....Iran isn't Arab, blah-blah-blah, but they are not likely to cooperate in any event) COULD get behind it.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:33 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,861 times
Trump and Netanyahu, neither with any scruples, both desperately trying to get reelected and distract from their controversies.

But if this is what it takes after all, a couple of idiots finally doing the right thing but for cynical, selfish reasons, then i'm for it if it works.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:31 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
The instability in the Palestinian territories was by design to prevent the negotiations between Israel and the PLO that appeared to be possible in the early 90's. Israel created a more radical group from the Muslim Brotherhood to undermine the PLO by making them appear unfit to guarantee security. It's identical to what the US is doing in many parts of the world. In Iraq, they're trying to carve out two separate 'states' from the one in Baghdad.

Hamas Israel's own creation

Old 01-26-2020, 06:43 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Trump and Netanyahu, neither with any scruples, both desperately trying to get reelected and distract from their controversies.

But if this is what it takes after all, a couple of idiots finally doing the right thing but for cynical, selfish reasons, then i'm for it if it works.
Two grifter families and chintzy to boot. That Mrs. Netan-yahoo is some piece of... work.
Quote:
Hefetz recordings reveal Sara Netanyahu sent dirty laundry abroad for dry cleaning

Transcripts of conversations between the prime minister’s former media advisor, who later turned state’s witness, and the legal advisor of the Prime Minister’s Office point to concerns over alleged misuse of state funds by the prime minister’s wife.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,...295829,00.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies