Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 08:42 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,200,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ever been to flint Michigan? Anyone who looks at what happened in this famous union stronghold should question the idea that unions are a good thing. Yes for a period the unions there forced GM to pay unskilled laborers a wage that even many white collar professionals do not earn. Work rules were relaxed to the point that employees would even be drunk on the job. Ever hear the stories of whiskey bottles being found in the body panels of cars?? Where do you think those jokes come from?

GM had to endure this for a while but they learned to outsource all those jobs or offshore them. Soon the people of flint had to watch as their own children were cut out of those jobs and the young became an underclass and only the senior workers kept their jobs. Eventually almost all the jobs were lost. There used to be almost 100k union jobs there, now there is a few thousand. Flint Michigan is easily the most miserable crime ridden impoverished place in America today. Heck you cannot even drink the water. Why is it like this??? Of course GM had to save itself by getting rid of the burden of these expensive overpaid employees who were very unproductive. They found a way and they left flint an empty shell. Down the road from flint is Detroit, another famous union failure.

Unions bring misery and economic failure.....just look at Michigan and it’s car industry.

Union or no union all of these jobs were going to Mexico or China anyway. It was only a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 08:49 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,200,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Google employees have started talking unionization. Their response was to bring in a union busting firm and fire employees spreading messages about their rights.

How many hours a day do they work?

Old 01-27-2020, 09:26 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,260,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Without unions the benefits of employees would be steadily reduced and eventually eliminated. It's the old millionaires power game. The haves vs the have-nots.

Just look at corporations throughout the world. Salaries and package deals have sky rocketed for upper managment while most staff have seen little to know increases in salary and benefits in years. In the meantime inflation has sky-rocketed.

You people that are non-union should stop believing all the b###sh#t that management and media are feeding you.

Even athletes and celebrities maintain their union membership and for good reason-without it they'd be screwed.

Instead of putting union members down you people that are not unionized should get together and join unions for your own sake. Management isnt going to do it for you . They'd rather keep the profit at the top.
One question... have you ever worked for a unionized company?

I have, I was not in the union but I saw all the crap they did for over 10 years. Bribe management to get their way, gang up on new workers who actually did their jobs, threatened them if they didn’t stop making the rest of them look bad. Heaven forbid you actually help someone because they automatically think you are taking their jobs. The unions have turned into the very thing they were fighting against. They are beyond corrupt and promote an atmosphere of laziness. Thank god I’m no longer around that toxicity!

Old 01-27-2020, 09:58 PM

31,889 posts, read 14,877,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
One question... have you ever worked for a unionized company?

I have, I was not in the union but I saw all the crap they did for over 10 years. Bribe management to get their way, gang up on new workers who actually did their jobs, threatened them if they didn’t stop making the rest of them look bad. Heaven forbid you actually help someone because they automatically think you are taking their jobs. The unions have turned into the very thing they were fighting against. They are beyond corrupt and promote an atmosphere of laziness. Thank god I’m no longer around that toxicity!
My husband has been a union member most of his life. There is no way you can bribe management to get your way. If you don't want to belong to a union then don't join one. I can tell you that the healthcare they pay for is excellent. And we always use union members for our plumbing, electrical needs and so on.....because they are very well trained. And they are very hard workers.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:46 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,260,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
My husband has been a union member most of his life. There is no way you can bribe management to get your way. If you don't want to belong to a union then don't join one. I can tell you that the healthcare they pay for is excellent. And we always use union members for our plumbing, electrical needs and so on.....because they are very well trained. And they are very hard workers.
Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it never happens. And I’m not saying all union members are bad. There were/are a lot of good people. But the good ones usually moved on after being harassed enough. This is what I witnessed after being in the middle of it for 10 years. And yes bribery does happen (A LOT)!

Old 01-27-2020, 10:49 PM

31,889 posts, read 14,877,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it never happens. And I’m not saying all union members are bad. There were/are a lot of good people. But the good ones usually moved on after being harassed enough. This is what I witnessed after being in the middle of it for 10 years. And yes bribery does happen (A LOT)!
So tell me this bribery.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:30 AM

39,808 posts, read 26,335,126 times
Unions are su h great negotiators that they try to for r people that are not and don't want to be members to fund them. Pay protection money to a bun h of things to keep your job. Yeah sounds like a great system.

We need national right to work laws to stop the abuse of workers.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,857,634 times
Unions have probably cost more people their jobs and closed more factories than any good they accomplish.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,410,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
You make some very good points. Many of the people who post on this forum as well as the work and employment forum say that the time for unions has come and gone. Human nature hasn't changed at all in a hundred years. As people become more and more complacent about unions, and management turns us into serfs, making us more desperate, the public will be screaming for unions once again. The very rich are hoping that they can stamp out unions so that even the initiating mechanism will be gone.

I started a thread on unions last night and one individual got on my case for using public service unions and unions interchangeably. This guy and people like him want me and you for that matter silenced.
Republicans have done everything in their power to destroy all unions and the rights of employees in the process.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:45 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,686,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Republicans have done everything in their power to destroy all unions and the rights of employees in the process.
Looks like some folks need a History lesson regarding Public Unions....
https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/...mployee-unions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies