Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 04:15 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don’t know if this applies to refugees, nearly all of whom, needs financial assistance.
It is not about refugees. They are a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
An older person will just have to demonstrate that they are unlikely to become a public charge. They can do that by showing records of their assets.

I might retire to a foreign country one day, and it seems reasonable that the government there would want to know that I - along with tens of thousands of other older people - don't arrive with little means, and likely to end up being supported by the taxpayers in that country if I languish for years in assisted living or a nursing home. I see nothing wrong with requiring that people beyond normal working age (or adults of any age) show they are currently able to support themselves and are likely to for the reasonable future.
Sure, this is how it has worked in the past too. Even if you have close family to US, they would have to have to prove they have sufficient income to support the new comer in case he/she does not have income of his/her own.

Please spare me from your stories about how all your neighbors are immigrants who are dirt poor and all of them have latest model iPhones and eat at Applebee's.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:58 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure, this is how it has worked in the past too. Even if you have close family to US, they would have to have to prove they have sufficient income to support the new comer in case he/she does not have income of his/her own.

Please spare me from your stories about how all your neighbors are immigrants who are dirt poor and all of them have latest model iPhones and eat at Applebee's.
Wow. There you go putting words in my mouth. You are referring to the thread where I pointed out that many middle-earners don't have $400 in savings when they spend money on manicures, expensive restaurants, cruises, and "designer" pets. I never used the word immigrant at all; in fact, none of the people are immigrants. You keep claiming you're not a liberal, but you keep pulling the same liberal crap: in this case, trying to paint people you disagree with you as anti-immigrant. If you want to excuse away irresponsible spenders who buy late-model Iphones when they don't even have savings for a basic emergency, go back to that one.

Also, it is not true that if you bring close family to the US they have to prove they have sufficient income. How then is my manicurist's 75-year-old mother on Medicaid?

Old 01-28-2020, 05:06 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In a 5-4 ruling, SCOTUS issued an order Monday allowing the Trump administration to begin enforcing new limits on immigrants who are considered likely to become overly dependent on government benefit programs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...green-n1124056
Trump wins again, DEAL WITH IT, 'progressives'

Old 01-28-2020, 07:23 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
An older person will just have to demonstrate that they are unlikely to become a public charge. They can do that by showing records of their assets.

I might retire to a foreign country one day, and it seems reasonable that the government there would want to know that I - along with tens of thousands of other older people - don't arrive with little means, and likely to end up being supported by the taxpayers in that country if I languish for years in assisted living or a nursing home. I see nothing wrong with requiring that people beyond normal working age (or adults of any age) show they are currently able to support themselves and are likely to for the reasonable future.
Actually most 'foreign countries' provide healthcare to everyone, you don't need to prove you can afford 2 or 3 million dollars for a medical catastrophe

Old 01-28-2020, 07:44 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't understand why anyone would object to this.
never underestimate the stupidity of o'crazio-cortex:

AOC rips 'shameful' Supreme Court ruling allowing 'public charge' immigration rule

Old 01-28-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Wow. There you go putting words in my mouth. You are referring to the thread where I pointed out that many middle-earners don't have $400 in savings when they spend money on manicures, expensive restaurants, cruises, and "designer" pets. I never used the word immigrant at all; in fact, none of the people are immigrants. You keep claiming you're not a liberal, but you keep pulling the same liberal crap: in this case, trying to paint people you disagree with you as anti-immigrant. If you want to excuse away irresponsible spenders who buy late-model Iphones when they don't even have savings for a basic emergency, go back to that one.

Also, it is not true that if you bring close family to the US they have to prove they have sufficient income. How then is my manicurist's 75-year-old mother on Medicaid?
You ALWAYS try to support your arguments with the "I have seen it with my own eyes" claims. Yesterday it was a guy who made $400K who had an iPhone, ate in restaurants and had a car, and therefore could not afford this and that, and today its your manicurist who's mother is on Medicaid. If pointing out the weakness in such 'arguments' makes a person a liberal, then there isnt much more to say. No one called you anti-immigrant, so pulling the victim-card is somewhat premature.

I said the US immigration has always had income verification, and that is a fact. It is not new, except that now it has been expanded to include non-cash services, meaning the government will have to determine if the applicant is likely to require non-cash assistance in the future.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:05 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Actually most 'foreign countries' provide healthcare to everyone, you don't need to prove you can afford 2 or 3 million dollars for a medical catastrophe
No, they don't. Have you ever even been to a foreign country? If you're not a citizen, you don't get their national health care. You can access health care, but you have to pay for it.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:19 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
In a 5-4 ruling, SCOTUS issued an order Monday allowing the Trump administration to begin enforcing new limits on immigrants who are considered likely to become overly dependent on government benefit programs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...green-n1124056
Not wanting to be flooded with immigrants who who be a burden on the state has been around even before the US had an overly generous welfare state. Now we are asking for trouble when we allow people to immigrate who we know are going to become automatic wards of the state, and collecting taxpayer funded welfare in one form or another.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:29 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
No, they don't. Have you ever even been to a foreign country? If you're not a citizen, you don't get their national health care. You can access health care, but you have to pay for it.
Yes of course I have and my husband had to go to the ER in London, the cost was around $6 to fill a prescription. I know that it's not free everywhere, but I also know that they have universal health care so an immigrant wouldn't have to prove they have millions of dollars to pay for their health care like they would here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies