Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 01:27 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Too bad. Meet the requirement, or don't immigrate.
Ohsuch sage advice! Meet a requirement that is so nebulous that no one can figure it out https://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/images...s/laughing.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 03:29 PM

23,454 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Actually for a very long time there were no quotas for immigration and no requirement that a person could even read or write
And that is sad.

Quote:
And I never said that there shouldn't be requirements that immigrants are able to support themselves, if you think I did, then please show me where I said that. I said that if we are going to require an immigrant to prove they can buy health insurance then there should be some mechanism for making that possible, and if they can't prove they can buy insurance then there should be some dollar amount specified that they need to have, it shouldn't be left up to some immigration clerk to determine that.

So please tell me, what is it that I just said that you disagree with?
Actually that part was in response to someone else. My accidental quoting of your post, and not proofing my post to catch that error before entering, is 100% my fault . I apologize for any confusion or concern it may have caused you.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
And that is sad.

Actually that part was in response to someone else. My accidental quoting of your post, and not proofing my post to catch that error before entering, is 100% my fault . I apologize for any confusion or concern it may have caused you.
no worries, it happens - even to me and I'm just about perfect

Old 01-28-2020, 04:03 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,415,447 times
In spite of the bias political cry babys trying to waste our money and his time, TRUMP continues to get the job done. He is pleasing the voters and wish I could go vote for him right now.....

Old 01-28-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm not ready to say you are wrong but do you have anything to support your assertion that no insurer will issue plans? And I mean something straight from the insurers not another immigrant advocacy site making this claim.

A google search on "health insurance plans for new immigrants" returns pages of links promoting health plans to new immigrants. Maybe "coverage" won't begin until they arrive but show me where they cannot arrange a plan in advance.
Here you go:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1XA1G6

I read a few other articles but didn't bookmark them I will check my history later and try to find them.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:20 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Here you go:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1XA1G6

I read a few other articles but didn't bookmark them I will check my history later and try to find them.

I saw an anecdotal story there from Mayra Lopez that "few options" exist (as opposed to no options) and a whine that coverage would cost $1600 and a claim that her insurer Kaiser required applicants to have a social security number. Followed by a quote from a Senior Vice President at Kaiser that a social security number is not required to apply. There was allegedly a statement by Covered California that they require applicants to be "lawfully present". And it appears that it is the ACA that mandates that eligibility requirement so direct your complaints to Obama.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I saw an anecdotal story there from Mayra Lopez that "few options" exist (as opposed to no options) and a whine that coverage would cost $1600 and a claim that her insurer Kaiser required applicants to have a social security number. Followed by a quote from a Senior Vice President at Kaiser that a social security number is not required to apply. There was allegedly a statement by Covered California that they require applicants to be "lawfully present". And it appears that it is the ACA that mandates that eligibility requirement so direct your complaints to Obama.
Trump's the boss, if he wants to fix this mess I'm sure he can. All I'm saying is that it seems just a little odd to write a law that is probably impossible to comply with. I don't remember if the article I posted mentioned that if you don't have a policy you have to have 'adequate money' to pay for your medical expenses but the conveniently left out how much that might be.

In principle I'm not opposed to ensuring that immigrants be able to support themselves, we've had that requirement for years but when you make stupid rules that are impossible to follow it just reeks of that little nazi weasel Stephen Miller.

And if there are 'few' options, were you able to find even one? I looked yesterday and couldn't find one.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Trump's the boss, if he wants to fix this mess I'm sure he can. All I'm saying is that it seems just a little odd to write a law that is probably impossible to comply with. I don't remember if the article I posted mentioned that if you don't have a policy you have to have 'adequate money' to pay for your medical expenses but the conveniently left out how much that might be.

In principle I'm not opposed to ensuring that immigrants be able to support themselves, we've had that requirement for years but when you make stupid rules that are impossible to follow it just reeks of that little nazi weasel Stephen Miller.

And if there are 'few' options, were you able to find even one? I looked yesterday and couldn't find one.
What "mess" needs fixing? The way I see it, it is new immigrants arriving and being uninsured that is the mess. Trump is fixing that.

It sounded to me like the VP of Kaiser was saying that Kaiser is one. He seemed to be saying what Ms Lopez claims to have been told was not the case and if she was told incorrectly they need to educate their customer service.

You can't really expect insurers to have plans all ready to select that fit brand new requirements. Insurers are out to make money and they don't care who they make it off of. When they see the market and the demand they will respond to it with a plan. No need to go hyper from day 1. Give it some time and see what happens.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:38 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
It’s the same reason we didn’t allow Jews to come here and they died in the holocaust. Shame on us!
Where were the liberals when it was Jews who were being kept out on "public charge" grounds, even though Jews are notoriously education- and work seeking? And rarely illiterate. Under FDR nowhere to be found. The fact is that except for a brief period when much of the world was recoiling from the horrors of the Holocaust the rules have always been manipulated to the disadvantage of the Jews."Affirmative action" came into existence almost the minute that formal quotas limiting Jews' role in higher education ended. As did the emphasis on "diversity"; yet the Jews did not qualify as "diverse" and thus to be favored.

I would be a lot less sympathetic to the exclusion of likely "public charges" if these bleats were heard as loudly in favor of the Jews as now, in favor of total illiterates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Everyone has a chance in the USA. The country is full of stories about immigrants that came here broke and unable to speak English and managed to become successful business people and citizens. Many have become far more successful than people born in the US. How can you arbitrarily determine who will and who will not? What's next? Execution of people that are a drain on society? At least in ways that makes more sense than barring people that might be a drain on society.
But in the early 1900's there was very little of the "safety net" that there is today. People who came were really gambling on starvation if they couldn't get paying work.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:50 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Actually for a very long time there were no quotas for immigration and no requirement that a person could even read or write
True, but the starvation risk if they didn't make it was on them, not us. Very different now with an extensive social welfare system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies