Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 01:43 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

There is often confusion about impeachment vs. conviction, and now I'm wondering about confusion about hearings vs. trial.

First, I'm assuming this is considered a trial. And I know that people have already complained that any trial should obviously include witnesses. But I was suddenly thinking that any trial should also include timely rebuttal. Like when lawyers argue in court. It seems unfair that neither side can raise objections at the time, and neither can argue against what was said right at the time.

Second, it's interesting that the Democrats argued the case themselves. But although a big percentage of senators are lawyers, the Republicans are not only employing hired guns, but a whole battery of them. Doesn't that seem odd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 01:48 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
There is often confusion about impeachment vs. conviction, and now I'm wondering about confusion about hearings vs. trial.

First, I'm assuming this is considered a trial. And I know that people have already complained that any trial should obviously include witnesses. But I was suddenly thinking that any trial should also include timely rebuttal. Like when lawyers argue in court. It seems unfair that neither side can raise objections at the time, and neither can argue against what was said right at the time.

Second, it's interesting that the Democrats argued the case themselves. But although a big percentage of senators are lawyers, the Republicans are not only employing hired guns, but a whole battery of them. Doesn't that seem odd?
It’s called a sham.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:52 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
It's entirely political and only has two possible outcomes - President is removed from office or is acquitted of charges. There is no guilty, not guilty, no contest, etc. Just political theater for the sake of politics. Nothing more, nothing less.

Either 67+ senators vote to remove him from office, or he is acquitted. Period.

After he leaves office, if a prosecutor thought they could pull it off, he could be tried in criminal or civil court over the charges related to this case, but that is a whole separate bag of conjecture.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:05 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
I tried to watch it for a while today since a major network is carrying a portion of it, and I don't have cable tv.

It was unwatchably boring. Ken Starr was going on and on about historical context. Snoozefest.

I cant imagine having to sit in that chamber hour after hour, day after day listening to that junk.

The C-D political forum is much more stimulating and entertaining, so thanks Lech Mazur.

Let me know how it ends, but I think I already know.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:16 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Yes it's a trial, at least in the broadest sense of the word. The Constitution says, "The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments". But it looks to be a very limited trial in the sense that the only possible sentence is removal from office and being barred from holding future office for some period of time. After impeachment though, the former office holder can then be tried by the judicial branch for various crimes, whereupon they would receive appropriate legal protections such as an impartial jury.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:09 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I tried to watch it for a while today since a major network is carrying a portion of it, and I don't have cable tv.

It was unwatchably boring. Ken Starr was going on and on about historical context. Snoozefest.

I cant imagine having to sit in that chamber hour after hour, day after day listening to that junk.

The C-D political forum is much more stimulating and entertaining, so thanks Lech Mazur.

Let me know how it ends, but I think I already know.
Starr was indeed a bore. Two women this afternoon destroyed the case. Killed it. BTW once they got to all the queations about the bidens being legit only NBC was filming and they cut too before she finished.

FAKE NEWS. This whole thing isnt just a sham its a shame.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:53 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
If you are comparing to a criminal case, this is a trial. Removal from office is the equivalent of a guilty verdict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies