Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 09:01 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It's just easier to associate with those who you are more likely to agree with. People who aren't DJT commits tend to think of him as obnoxious, dishonest, and bullying, and assume he attracts those of a similar nature. Whether true or not, it's become a social metric for identifying those with a disagreeable personality.

Those that think he is the Messiah or sent by the Lord I avoid. I walk on crutches and I have had a guy wearing a Maga hat start to hold the door open as he left a store. He looked at me and then just let it go and walked away. With a cold look on his face and he wouldn't make eye contact with me. A young woman in the store stepped quickly from the inside and opened it for me. I smiled at her said Thanks and then I said there are nice people everywhere. She smiled and said yes I saw that..

He doesn't owe me anything at all. It was definitely a political snub.

On a side note: I stop and hold doors open for other people as well. I absolutely like doing that.

It has been known since day one that trump is dishonest in his business dealings. He works it down to where the tradesmen and contractors lose outn.
He is a racist. He has mental problems.
Why would I want people around me that accept his ways?
Too me he disrespects our flag by hugging it. We weren't taught to handle a flag that way in Boy Scouts or even in high school.

Last edited by Versatile; 01-30-2020 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Plus he was a draft dodger that makes fun of military heroes.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:53 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
So Trump supporters are disappointed that "lefties" won't be friends with them.

That's unfortunate.

Have you noticed that Trump himself doesn't have many friends either?

New Years Eve after he won the presidential election, he partied at Mar-a-Lago with folks who paid to be there, a small time mobster/scam artist/art fence who now runs an organization that appears to exist solely to give awards to Trump properties, a con artist/promoter who cheated Mike Tyson out of millions, and his third wife, who often looks as if she can barely tolerate him.

Here's a guy who has walked this earth for 7 decades. He just been elected POTUS and he is celebrating New Years Eve with Don King, Joey No Socks, and a woman who married him for his money.

He's known Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, and Lev Parnas for years. Not sure why they weren't there, or if they are even friends.

Kanye West, Tom Brady, and Roseanne apparently are friends. But they weren't there then nor do you see them around much now.

There's a reason that those who aren't loyal to friends don't have many.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:55 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
We got it in my church too -last night the reading was 100% on Nehemiah the building of the Jerusalem wall
10% of the congregation praised god the rest squirmed in their seats

Old 01-30-2020, 10:19 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
^^^This^^^

I am long-time friends with a couple women married to Trump supporters. Fine by me. They have to sleep with them. I don't.

But their husbands just will not shut up about it.

I feel sorry for my friends. They are married to little men who identify with a bully. I'm fortunate to have married a man who doesn't need this as he actually is a tough, smart guy.

Over the past couple years, their husbands have become absolutely obnoxious, injecting every conversation with gloating nonsense they've seen on Fox, or read on some RWNJ websites.

We've stopped doing anything as couples. My husband is just not interested in their nonsense.

But even when I see them by myself, their husbands interrupt. It's as if Trump has given them permission to be ignorant and rude.

It's not their political views that are a barrier to friendship, it's their behavior.
If they are ignorant and rude now then they were ignorant and rude before Trump even came on the scene.

The fact that you have to be told this says a lot about you.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:26 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Uh, easy. Lefties and Trumpies are too busy being jerks to each other. We’ve lost a bit of the art of civility. And both lefties and Trumpsters are guilty of being really nasty folks to each other.
The fundamental issue is that liberals and left-wing Democrats have no issue with illegal immigration, amnesty and sanctuary cities. They think that flooding the United States with uneducated, low-skilled third world immigrants is a good thing. And if you don't agree with that, then you are racist.

I see no way of reconciling these viewpoints. This is potentially as divisive as the period leading up to the Civil War.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-30-2020 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-30-2020, 10:30 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The fundamental issue is that liberals and left-wing Democrats have no issue with illegal immigration, amnesty and sanctuary cities. They think that flooding the United States with uneducated, low-skilled third world immigrants is a good thing. And if you are don't agree that, then you are racist.

I see no way of reconciling these viewpoints.
It appears a lot of those immigrants have more skills and education than anti-education Trump supporters.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:39 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I see it all the time. People ditching friends because they have different political views. There is a column in our local paper called Dear Amy and another letter today was from someone whose boyfriend's political views were different and she asked if she was crazy for dating him. But the thing I notice is the relationship/friendship enders are almost always Democrats. Why can't they just get along?
Those on the left cannot tolerate Trump supporters or anyone else who disagrees with their memorized, parroted beliefs because they are, as a whole, intolerant people.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:55 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Those that think he is the Messiah or sent by the Lord I avoid. I walk on crutches and I have had a guy wearing a Maga hat start to hold the door open as he left a store. He looked at me and then just let it go and walked away. With a cold look on his face and he wouldn't make eye contact with me. A young woman in the store stepped quickly from the inside and opened it for me. I smiled at her said Thanks and then I said there are nice people everywhere. She smiled and said yes I saw that..

He doesn't owe me anything at all. It was definitely a political snub.
On the day of a Trump rally in my town I watched a be-decked MAGA hat character walk into a fast food place to get lunch. The person on the counter was Hispanic which displeased the Trumper. He said he wanted to see the manager (not willing to order from the Hispanic). She said "I am the manager" and he smirked like he doubted it. "No, I want to talk to the real manager" he said. She remarked that she was the real manager and the Trumper turned around and stomped out. The very idea that a Hispanic woman could be a manager or in a position of some authority was unacceptable. I was very impressed with her professional manner and poise when confronted with the ugly face of MAGA.

I have not lost any friends over politics. I have blocked a niece on Facebook who is an evangelical bible-thumper radio talk show host who repeatedly swears that Trump is God's gift to a sinful America. I know how she was raised and she should be embarrassed and know better than to spew that bigoted hogwash over the radio. I have told her as much. She is still my niece and family and we occasionally talk on other topics. The local big mouth Trumper (that I knew) caught so much grief from his neighbors and friends that he moved away to So. Carolina "to be closer to family". Most of the vocal Trumpers are not friends in the first place and live in a bubble of desperation and self defined victimhood. You can't lose a friend you never had.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:01 AM

3,392 posts, read 2,800,591 times
My wife had a group of friends all Dem voters. Three in the group were sisters- far left. Daily posts and rants all over the Facebook pages. They were Protestors. No guns. Police are bad. Pro choice. Corporations are bad. Any and all immigration acceptable. Parents were/are on public assistance so they were all about tax and redistribute. I kept out of politics talk until 6 months prior to 2016 election. Knowing they wouldn’t be receptive to my views. At party, They asked me if I was voting for Hillary and I said “no”. We waged a back and forth for two minutes and I mainly listened to their emotionally arguments.

Relationship with the group changed from that day forward. They didn’t bother listening to me to find out I share some of their views but I’m slight right in my political leanings. Fast forward a couple years- we stopped talking. Fast forward now they are just on complete meltdown mode on FB.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:06 AM

2,066 posts, read 900,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Those sound like the cries of someone who suckered themselves into believing an obvious con artist.

Nah, I saw zero for what he was since the beginning, a race-baiting, community-agitating, flim-flam snake oil salesman. Set race relations back years and years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies