Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 09:24 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I see it all the time. People ditching friends because they have different political views. There is a column in our local paper called Dear Amy and another letter today was from someone whose boyfriend's political views were different and she asked if she was crazy for dating him. But the thing I notice is the relationship/friendship enders are almost always Democrats. Why can't they just get along?
In my case I am probably the only traditional, conservative, libertarian sort in my family. They are very strong liberals (as in raised in Berkely commune sort) or FDR yellow dog democrats or everything in between. How it happened or where I came in with my belief system I don't know.

Perhaps that I like the Constitution and can see wisdom of the founding fathers so long ago. Perhaps they are of the 'that was then, and now is now we must face today' mode.

I do know That they usually are big fans of public radio/tv or CNN etc. (or are yellow dog if you know what that means) whereas I get my news from France 24, Sky/BBC News, DW or World TV (now I think out of business).

So we just have different frames of reference or input.

But it is constant work to put the boundary up about politics. 'I will discuss ancestors, immediate family, and mutual bursitis with you. I will help you fix your house. But I will not talk politics period.'

I think it is because I am OK, I must believe what they believe. And it is easy to get into that group think mode of communication.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:49 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Just reading the comments on this site, it's very clear that Trump's more loyal supporters are full of hate for others they don't know because they are told so by the right-wing propaganda machine

Old 02-02-2020, 09:49 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
I see it all the time. People ditching friends because they have different political views. There is a column in our local paper called Dear Amy and another letter today was from someone whose boyfriend's political views were different and she asked if she was crazy for dating him. But the thing I notice is the relationship/friendship enders are almost always Democrats. Why can't they just get along?
"People ditching friends because they have different political views.", not our fault they are immature.The PROBLEM is, they GET TO VOTE.

I have LOTS of friend on the left.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:39 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times

Old 02-02-2020, 11:41 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
I want to be friends with people who aren't a-holes, regardless of their political affiliation. If "you" feel the need to be one then you can do it somewhere else.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:00 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
it is not just a disagreement over political ideas. If you support an amoral career swindler and bser with multiple personality disorders and no knowledge outside of swindling and manipulation techniques, it is not the same as having an opinion on taxes. You are whom you support. If you support an amoral psychopathswho does not give a dime about anything except personal aggrandizement it tells me something about you and your values.
I don't think that's necessarily true. In some cases sure but just the fact that someone voted for or supports Trump doesn't mean they agree with everything he does. You can tell the people who think the rules don't apply to them, just like Trump, by the things they say. Without that, it's a guess.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:05 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
it is not just a disagreement over political ideas. If you support an amoral career swindler and bser with multiple personality disorders and no knowledge outside of swindling and manipulation techniques, it is not the same as having an opinion on taxes. You are whom you support. If you support an amoral psychopathswho does not give a dime about anything except personal aggrandizement it tells me something about you and your values.
This kind of all or nothing attitude is part of the problem. You have no desire to understand how much conservatives don't want what democrat politicians and those running on the D ticket are selling. As much as you hate Trump, step out of your box and realize that many think Trump's personality is reprehensible but what Sanders, Warren, et al are selling is much worse. JMHO. If you can't understand that then talking is a waste of time.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:08 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Pfft. Any you think righties are so tolerant. Please. You are all listening to Fox News whackos. And they all spout how unamericaqn lefties are. Despite the fact that most righties never served in the military.
Oh...the irony. You whine about "righties" not being tolerant. Yet you can't see that you are intolerant. BTW, you are so wrong about "righties" never serving in the military.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:09 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
According to this forum, Democrats are intellectually feeble, mentally ill, and literal demons from hell.

So why are Trumpers so upset that these horrible people don’t want to be their friends? I would think you’d be thrilled.

I don’t have friends who don’t share my core values, because why would anyone? This is not “I like mustard and you like mayo”. This is “I think this is morally wrong and you think it’s awesome”.

Again - why do you want friends who share none of your most basic values about what is right and wrong?
Nailed it, repped

Old 02-02-2020, 12:09 PM

473 posts, read 237,145 times
Quote:
Because the Left hates President Trump since the first day of the 2016 election results and before the 2016 election results, even back then they were calling for President Trump's impeachment.

I have heard stories from the Leftists of family and friends disagreeing with them on Trump's impeachment. The Leftist argue with their family and friends as we are right and you are wrong. Their is no arguing, debating or discussing with them on the issue and on the forum.

I have been called on other Political Forums I am not allowed to mention the name of on this forum, evil, a deplorable, a snowflake, a cultist, a resident cultist, a Trump cultist and a liar who socks, for my strong support of President Trump, I don't care and I wear it with Pride, lol:

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/...s-in-us-231165

Source Politico

Last edited by Miami Shores; 02-02-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies