Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 07:48 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
I'm sorry, sir, your race card has been declined - would you like to try another ?
Those sound like the cries of someone who suckered themselves into believing an obvious con artist.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:58 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I see it all the time. People ditching friends because they have different political views. There is a column in our local paper called Dear Amy and another letter today was from someone whose boyfriend's political views were different and she asked if she was crazy for dating him. But the thing I notice is the relationship/friendship enders are almost always Democrats. Why can't they just get along?
Sounds like you surround yourself with a snowflake class of people (otherwise known as trumplings).

Old 01-29-2020, 09:34 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I see it all the time. People ditching friends because they have different political views. There is a column in our local paper called Dear Amy and another letter today was from someone whose boyfriend's political views were different and she asked if she was crazy for dating him. But the thing I notice is the relationship/friendship enders are almost always Democrats. Why can't they just get along?
My family includes both republicans and democrats. There was never an issue with it because it just wasn't a topic of conservation. But I have never seen this kind of division in our country. This is not who we are but this is what sadly what we have become. I find it extremely scary. Trump has brought out the worst in people for his own benefit....divide and conquer.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:32 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Why can't lefties be friends with Trump supporters?

The problem arises when the topic of Trump comes up and it usually does at some point. The conversations deteriorate because of the paucity of any valid and truthful claims or arguments from Trump supporters that haven't been filtered through his tweets, Fox News, debunked conspiracy theories, or clowns like Alex Jones. If you round up a half dozen Trumpers and ask why they support Trump you get a half dozen reasons and none of them are based on fact. Their total lack of understanding of how basic government works is astonishing. The notion of checks and balances eludes them (as it does the President). There can be rational discussions or debates of immigration policy or climate change in some cases but once Trump becomes part of the conversation it gets into a desperate effort to parrot and defend his pointless blithering and divisive claims. Non-Trumpers are amazed at the total lack of knowledge, critical thinking, or independent judgment on the part of Trumpers. That is usually the beginning of the end. We wonder if these people were always this stupid or if this is some sort of debilitating side effect coming from Fox News and talk radio.

There is increasing evidence that Russian interference goes way beyond the election tampering and is largely engaged in sowing divisiveness in American society and exploiting existing religious, racial, ethnic, and gender faultlines way beyond the political arena. Trump is unwittingly playing directly into the hands of the Russians by energizing hate groups and fringe activists on both sides.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:12 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
It is possible for people on either side of the divide to be civil, and to avoid the topic. But in any kind of a close or intimate relationship, I would thing that the difference in the world view would be too much to ignore. In addition, there are grave moral issues here. For example, I would never be able to trust the moral integrity of anyone who argues that putting kids in cages is right, not to mention that women should not be able to make reproductive choices, or that it is OK for industry to pollute neighborhoods, or any number of other issues that really are about morality, not just politics.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:35 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
It is possible for people on either side of the divide to be civil, and to avoid the topic. But in any kind of a close or intimate relationship, I would thing that the difference in the world view would be too much to ignore. In addition, there are grave moral issues here. For example, I would never be able to trust the moral integrity of anyone who argues that putting kids in cages is right, not to mention that women should not be able to make reproductive choices, or that it is OK for industry to pollute neighborhoods, or any number of other issues that really are about morality, not just politics.
Agreed.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:40 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
My family includes both republicans and democrats. There was never an issue with it because it just wasn't a topic of conservation. But I have never seen this kind of division in our country. This is not who we are but this is what sadly what we have become. I find it extremely scary. Trump has brought out the worst in people for his own benefit....divide and conquer.
Sure, it started with Trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue9YquW1hI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pii9rdeMAls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XTdoG9ock

Old 01-30-2020, 12:48 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I’m fine with the lack of a balanced view. As a collective group, I have a very low opinion of Trump supporters.
Disappointing really. Many of us in the squishy middle have noticed that the Left is vastly more likely be uncivil towards those who disagree with their politics. I can tell a Trump supporter that I think he's an obnoxious bully and an egotistical prick. We agree to disagree. When I disagree with those on the political Left, results vary massively. In the vast majority of cases, I can have a pleasant back and forth. I'll agree on some things and disagree on others. But there are some cases where I have to tip toe very carefully and I still might end up being called a racist or a Nazi or whatever Leftie buzzword seems to fit the circumstance. There's a level of hostility and condescending arrogance in many cases on the Left that I'm simply not finding on the Right.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:17 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
I’m a trump supporter who has many fully left “Bernie is the best thing ever” friends. We don’t discuss how great Trump is very often , but we are still as close of friends as ever as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think I’ve lost any friends over my Trump support, we just don’t discuss politics much, if at all, because it is unproductive with such opposing viewpoints and nobody wins in that situation. That doesn’t mean we can’t talk about other numerous other things though. If they didn’t want to be my friend over my personal beliefs, I’d consider it their problem and be ok with it.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:30 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Why can't lefties be friends with Trump supporters?

TDS!

No cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies