Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2020, 02:22 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I see many say that people should stand alone and not organize with other laborers when it comes to looking out for their best interests.

So how come business organizations as well as lobbyists that represent hundreds of companies not getting any flack. Shouldnt business stand alone against politicians and the public rather than organize for their interests?

How come business do not stand alone when they go up against politicians when they want something from Washington DC? Cant they stand alone? Are they wusses?

Also lobbying group and business organizations have been on the increase for years while labor groups have been dying off.

Also business groups shell out billions for their interests while labor is shelling out millions and less as the years go by.

It is pretty obvious big business is intentionally killing off unions with their organizations.

I've worked for my employer (a public organization) for 33 years. When I first hired on, our section opted for an Open Shop Union representation; that is, being a Union member was not mandatory. I was one of few who did not believe in Union Representation. Truth be told, the Union got us a fair and long standing contract which our employer honored. Sadly, after cementing the terms of the contract, the Union rendered little service to its members. After a decade of dismal representation, our section got rid of the Union and opted for a Steering Committee. The Steering Committee functioned ok throughout the duration of our contract. However, the closer we got to the end of our contract, the more conditions unfavorably changed for us. Upper management was in the process of taking actions which would drastically affect our pensions. In addition, over zealous scrutinization of time management became the culture and mantra of our organization. The slightest deviation from new time management norms are now cause for counselling, verbal warnings, written warnings, being placed on report, disciplinary action, and loss of employment.

Guess what? Our section now has 100% Union Representation. Our pensions are back to being secured. And just yesterday, for the first time in 33 years, I filed my very first grievance over a verifiable Holiday season underpayment.

Unions are important. They keep employers honest and in check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 02:29 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Right to work states gives the WORKER the CHOICE.

Not sure why you hate workers having a choice.
So-called 'right to work' is a sham. It's one of those made-up political phrases that sounds good on the surface, but stinks beneath the surface.

First 'right to work' does not confer any right. There is no 'right to work.' If an employer does not want to hire you, even in a union shop, they don't have to. Likewise if an employee does not want to join a union, they don't have to accept a job in a union shop. 94% of private sector jobs are non-union, so it's not like you're being severely limited in a non-right-to-work state.

If you work in a union shop, you should be in the union. Everything from pay to vacations to disciplinary policy is covered by the CBA, which is negotiated by the union. The CBA is kind of the operating system of the workplace. So 'right to work' is kind of like saying you want to work at Apple, but you demand to use only the Android operating system. If you want Android, go to work for Google.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:32 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Choice to do what? Work for low pay and no benefits or starve. That's some choice.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I've worked for my employer (a public organization) for 33 years. When I first hired on, our section opted for an Open Shop Union representation; that is, being a Union member was not mandatory. I was one of few who did not believe in Union Representation. Truth be told, the Union got us a fair and long standing contract which our employer honored. Sadly, after cementing the terms of the contract, the Union rendered little service to its members. After a decade of dismal representation, our section got rid of the Union and opted for a Steering Committee. The Steering Committee functioned ok throughout the duration of our contract. However, the closer we got to the end of our contract, the more conditions unfavorably changed for us. Upper management was in the process of taking actions which would drastically affect our pensions. In addition, over zealous scrutinization of time management became the culture and mantra of our organization. The slightest deviation from new time management norms are now cause for counselling, verbal warnings, written warnings, being placed on report, disciplinary action, and loss of employment.

Guess what? Our section now has 100% Union Representation. Our pensions are back to being secured. And just yesterday, for the first time in 33 years, I filed my very first grievance over a verifiable Holiday season underpayment.

There needs to be a balance of power in all parties in capitalism.
Let the power shift too heavy in one direction or the other and it leads to disaster.
It is no coincidence that wages have fallen in the last 30 years while the lobbying power has grown at the same time for Big Business.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:46 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
So-called 'right to work' is a sham. It's one of those made-up political phrases that sounds good on the surface, but stinks beneath the surface.

First 'right to work' does not confer any right. There is no 'right to work.' If an employer does not want to hire you, even in a union shop, they don't have to. Likewise if an employee does not want to join a union, they don't have to accept a job in a union shop. 94% of private sector jobs are non-union, so it's not like you're being severely limited in a non-right-to-work state.

If you work in a union shop, you should be in the union. Everything from pay to vacations to disciplinary policy is covered by the CBA, which is negotiated by the union. The CBA is kind of the operating system of the workplace. So 'right to work' is kind of like saying you want to work at Apple, but you demand to use only the Android operating system. If you want Android, go to work for Google.
You want to remove freedom.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

Public unions should be illegal. It's a conflict of interest.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:52 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
A lot of the up & coming generations, from free enterprise left leaning libertarians to those more in the revolutionary tradition of the Wobblies, might be interested in cooperatives as an alternative for labor, goods & services ruled over currently by the corporatists.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:00 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You want to remove freedom.
Anyone is free to apply for work at 7-11. Problem?

Old 02-01-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Anyone is free to apply for work at 7-11. Problem?
No.

Any problem with people CHOOSING not to join a union?

Old 02-01-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
A lot of the up & coming generations, from free enterprise left leaning libertarians to those more in the revolutionary tradition of the Wobblies, might be interested in cooperatives as an alternative for labor, goods & services ruled over currently by the corporatists.

Corporatism is a bastardization of Capitalism.
I look forward to its death.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies