Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 07:38 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,952,568 times

Advertisements

and? Goals are great to have but not necessarily will be achieved. During Obamas time he argued 1% growth was now the new normal. Heck i had an argument with a friend who had read a number of articles by "top" economist who argued that this was true. So numbers in mid to high 2's has put an end to that theory. Telling the Country, sorry 1% is the best you can do, get used to it, is not the message to give people hope. No one achieves success by accepting limitations, you set goals and you strive to reach them. I have set a goal of losing 25 pounds by the time of a friends wedding in November, if i only lose 15 it will still be an accomplishment. Better then just accepting i will not lose a pound so i might as well just shove down that Big Mac.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:38 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Remember when Obama said people could keep their doctors?

It's par for the course with campaign rhetoric.

Most people outside of radical liberalism are pleased with the direction of the country.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:43 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
and? Goals are great to have but not necessarily will be achieved. During Obamas time he argued 1% growth was now the new normal. Heck i had an argument with a friend who had read a number of articles by "top" economist who argued that this was true. So numbers in mid to high 2's has put an end to that theory. Telling the Country, sorry 1% is the best you can do, get used to it, is not the message to give people hope. No one achieves success by accepting limitations, you set goals and you strive to reach them. I have set a goal of losing 25 pounds by the time of a friends wedding in November, if i only lose 15 it will still be an accomplishment. Better then just accepting i will not lose a pound so i might as well just shove down that Big Mac.
Please provide us a link where Obama said 1% was the new normal.

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere he said slower growth was the new normal, and if indeed he did say that, he was correct. But 1%? I'd like to see that one. Please provide a link. Thank you.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:02 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
With today's initial estimate of Q4 2019 GDP growth (a so-so 2.1%), we also have the initial estimate of total year 2019 GDP growth. From the BEA press release:

Remember when Trump was telling us we would see economic growth of 4, 5 and 6%?

Epic fail.

From the BEA's Table 1

2017 full-year GDP growth: 2.4%
2018 full-year GDP growth: 2.9%
2019 full-year GDP growth: 2.3%

Still awaiting that mega MAGA growth. Kinda makes you nostalgic for Jimmy Carter.
Those are pretty good numbers, when you consider how Trump's critics predicted that his "trade war" would destroy our economy. not only has our economy not collapsed, it's done well.

Applaud the Trump-haters, and their never ending investigations for doing all they can to cripple, undermine and weaken this president. Their agenda is bearing some fruit. They'd love it if the US would have fallen into a recession that his enemies have been hoping for.

BTW, Obama's GDP numbers per year were 2.5, 1.6, 2.2, 1.7, 2.4, 2.6, 1.9, so Trump's numbers look significantly better.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:02 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Please provide us a link where Obama said 1% was the new normal.

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere he said slower growth was the new normal, and if indeed he did say that, he was correct. But 1%? I'd like to see that one. Please provide a link. Thank you.
He didn't. Like most disparaging memes, he said one thing, it got paraphrased by a hostile news source, and their paraphrase somehow became his exact quote. He said he feared that various economic indicators might become a new normal if X, Y and Z remained the case, one of which was the slow growth rate of the GDP.

He never, not one time, said in a declarative way that 1% GDP growth is the new normal.

He was more pessimistic in his economic tone than Trump, but there isn't a president in the last 100 years that wasn't more pessimistic about the economic outlook than Trump.

It's like "trickle down economics" being attributed to Reagan or anyone in his orbit. It was never ever said by Reagan, any Republican, nor any economist before, during or since Reagan. It was a paraphrase conjured by hostile media that got attributed as Reagan saying it, and has taken on a life as the most misattributed, non-existent quote of the last 50 years. In fact, since the meme was created in the media, the only people who ever utter the phrase are Democrats and Paul Krugman.

Obama's 1% new normal is like that. Some media-tard conjured up that reshuffling of words and context and it got hung around Obama's neck. And like Reagan, Obama's non-quote i only ever spoken by his opponents. He never said that, but republicans and conservative pundits have worn that phrase out.

[Mama Boucher]Hostile media is duh Debil[/Mama Boucher]

Old 01-30-2020, 08:07 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
The worst economic performance in years. And it is trending in the wrong direction. Pathetic.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:13 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The worst economic performance in years. And it is trending in the wrong direction. Pathetic.

No, it is not. The GDP average is well above Obama's in his EIGHT YEAR rein of economic terror. Also, a three year sample is not indicative of a Presidency. Trump has another five years in which to continue the economic growth, historically low Unemployment and low inflation.

There is a balance between an over heating economy and inflation and we are in a good place of EQUILIBRIUM right now, but I don't expect you or any other Libs to understand Economics.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
BTW, Obama's GDP numbers per year were 2.5, 1.6, 2.2, 1.7, 2.4, 2.6, 1.9, so Trump's numbers look significantly better.
Those average 2.13%. Trump's are better, but I wouldn't call them "significantly" better. The average of Trump's 3 years I cited in the OP are 2.53%. They're both in the 2% range. If Trump's were in the 3% range or higher I would call it "significantly" better.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, it is not. The GDP average is well above Obama's in his EIGHT YEAR rein of economic terror. Also, a three year sample is not indicative of a Presidency. Trump has another five years in which to continue the economic growth, historically low Unemployment and low inflation.

There is a balance between an over heating economy and inflation and we are in a good place of EQUILIBRIUM right now, but I don't expect you or any other Libs to understand Economics.
Somebody here is denying reality: Trump's GDP growth is, like Obama's, averaging in the 2% range.

Get over it.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:19 AM

5,982 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Real question is: How much of that GDP is left after you remove the interest payments on the massive debt we have now? We have borrowed like mad for 3 years to get sub 3% GDP, was it worth it?

Those used to be a questions Republicans would ask but I guess only independents like myself are the only ones left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies