Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 11:46 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,544 times

Advertisements

acquittal | əˈkwid(ə)l |
noun
a judgment that a person is not guilty of the crime with which the person has been charged: the trial resulted in an acquittal

According to Lamar Alexander:
Quote:
“It was inappropriate for the president to ask a foreign leader to investigate his political opponent and to withhold United States aid to encourage that investigation,” [Lamar] Alexander wrote, adding that the president’s actions were the kind that “undermines the principle of equal justice under the law.”

“But,” he added, “the Constitution does not give the Senate the power to remove the president from office and ban him from this year’s ballot simply for actions that are inappropriate.”
An acquittal would require proving that Trump is not guilty of the crime for which he was charged.

#1 - This is an impeachment hearing, not a criminal trial, so there were no charges brought. This was a hearing about whether or not he should be impeached, a distinction that many posters on here can't seem to learn, no matter how often it is explained to them.

#2 - Your own people admit that he did do the crime, so why should he be acquitted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 11:53 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't know why they wanted even more witnesses. Didn't they already have 17 testify in the House? Just how many people were listening in to that phone call or are we talking about "witnesses" that heard someones interpretation of the call and then formed their own?

I think it would be rather crazy if a guy was hit by a car a block away, I saw the Police and Ambulance go by and then I asked a guy that was walking from that area what happened and he said a guy was hit by a car and then I was dragged into court to testify as a witness as to what I saw BUT in the lead up to the trial I had heard that the driver had a problem with alcohol... I don't actually know if he was drunk at the time of the accident but the court is telling me to testify about my feelings and thoughts about the accident??

This impeachment nonsense is ridiculous and of course the Dems are not going to accept the outcome short of giving the boot to Trump. The Dems can't handle the election results from 2016. They are really going to throw a nutty if he should win in 2020.
The defense is that there is no testimony from people with first hand account, but people with first hand account were blocked by the white house from testifying. Furthermore if they do testify they can claim executive privilege.
The defense is now down to, he did do that, its reprehensible but not impeachable, and if the president thinks it will help his reelection since he thinks the reelection is for the good of the country it cant be for his personal gain.
I understand every president has enjoyed these advantages the concept of executive privilege was stretched has been abused, in the context of a impeachment hearing it seems insane that you can prevent the only people who can prove your guilt from testifying.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:53 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
acquittal | əˈkwid(ə)l |
noun
a judgment that a person is not guilty of the crime with which the person has been charged: the trial resulted in an acquittal

An acquittal would require proving that Trump is not guilty of the crime for which he was charged.

#1 - This is an impeachment hearing, not a criminal trial, so there were no charges brought. This was a hearing about whether or not he should be impeached, a distinction that many posters on here can't seem to learn, no matter how often it is explained to them.

#2 - Your own people admit that he did do the crime, so why should he be acquitted?
Too bad so sad, because the demolibs didn't prove that he did commit a crime. That's the thing right there. The demolibs didn't prove he committed a crime but then turn around and claim that President Trump must be guilty because the Senate didn't prove that President Trump was innocent of any such crime.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:56 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
acquittal | əˈkwid(ə)l |
noun

....and your own people forget that there was, wait for it....NO CRIME. At "worst" he asked the leader of a government known for corruption to investigate a criminal act. Guess what? Investigating a crime, is not a crime. The closest there is to a crime is making Democrats cry....

Old 01-31-2020, 12:00 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,641 times
Richard Nixon thought too that he shouldn’t be impeached for the good of the country (re-election).

Old 01-31-2020, 12:13 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Richard Nixon thought too that he shouldn’t be impeached for the good of the country (re-election).
Nixon was clearly guilty and it was a bi-partisan impeachment.

Totally different situation.

As I said before, Your side just lost again.

SUCK IT UP, GET OVER IT.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:19 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
They can reject it all they want. The acquittal is imminent, and they've lost again. No witnesses...Trump acquitted.

Deal with it...or not. Most American's couldn't care less what 2 has-been politicians think, or say. Their time has passed.

In her last days, Nancy needs to focus her attention on cleaning up the streets of San Francisco.

In his last days, Chucky Shumer needs to figure out how to stop losing so many of New York's Millionaire & Billionaire taxpayers to Florida, and other States, before New York goes belly-up.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
They can reject it all they want. The acquittal is imminent, and they've lost again. No witnesses...Trump acquitted.

Deal with it...or not. Most American's couldn't care less what 2 has-been politicians think, or say. Their time has passed.

In her last days, Nancy needs to focus her attention on cleaning up the streets of San Francisco.

In his last days, Chucky Shumer needs to figure out how to stop losing so many of New York's Millionaire & Billionaire taxpayers to Florida, and other States, before New York goes belly-up.
When was the last time Nancy even looked into what's going on in San Fran? She's spent the last 3 + solid years trying to take down President Trump. That's all she's done in exchange for how much salary and benefits paid for by the American Tax Payers?

Old 01-31-2020, 12:27 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
It's not a temper tantrum if one party attempts to illegally throw the opposition's nomination process, and the other party holds them accountable. The Republicans would have done exactly the same thing if the tables were turned.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:27 PM

I hope President Trump gets acquitted by the end of today. That will be super terrific! The demolibs can then watch the super bowl with a few rolls of TP by their side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies