Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 03:01 PM

8,241 posts, read 3,495,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
in a perfect world........

people can't even report to a job they're paid to do, you think they'll show up for volunteer work? Who does the criminal checks on these parents before they volunteer? You're not going to let little Johnny's dad watch your kid when no one knows anything about them are you? What training do they have?

Well intentioned idea, woulda worked in the 50's, but not today.
A lot of the ones I had this required workshop with years ago were so trashy I didn't even want to speak to them, not much less let them watch my child. They'd have relatives watch their kids on weekends and go out drinking and doing drugs and they'd get together and talk about the partying they did. This one other woman and I were the only ones there that didn't smoke or go out drinking and partying. Until the other woman showed up about a couple years after I started going there I was the only one not like that and I'd stay off by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 03:14 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If it’s going to be funded by taxpayer dollars it’s everyone’s business.

By the way, a better solution to this might be seed money for babysitting co-ops. We had them when my kids were young. You paid a very small monthly fee, were required to “volunteer” X number of hours, and received X number of hours of free care. I never understood why they stopped being done, I assume part of it was they probably got regulated out of existence.
Exactly, why should the taxpayer have to fund their child care? What about other parents that are working and have kids? IMO, if you can't afford to take care of your own kids in every way then don't have them and don't expect the taxpayer to care for them.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its for student-parents.
Why would student non parents need childcare?
I think the poster asked why not for mothers not in college.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:51 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
A lot of the ones I had this required workshop with years ago were so trashy I didn't even want to speak to them, not much less let them watch my child. They'd have relatives watch their kids on weekends and go out drinking and doing drugs and they'd get together and talk about the partying they did. This one other woman and I were the only ones there that didn't smoke or go out drinking and partying. Until the other woman showed up about a couple years after I started going there I was the only one not like that and I'd stay off by myself.
Don't mean to poo poo her idea but you can't just willy nilly have people volunteer to watch kids these days. just the way it is..

Old 02-03-2020, 03:52 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://wnbf.com/expanded-free-dayca...unity-college/

As a single man with no children, this free day obsession with the liberals is interesting.

Sorry, but very few people are interested in being daycare workers these days. The supply will continue to go down and increasing demand will just cause prices to skyrocket.

It is rather interesting to read about the daycare costs these days. They will likely have wage pressures because they in many cases traditional have to pay several dollars above the miniumum wage and now they will have skyrocketing demand from college students who will now have free daycare.

Welfare bonanza for taking a class for 500,000. This will cause daycare costs to skyrocket as at least 500,000 college students will get complimentary daycare while the supply of daycare workers stays the same. Economics 101 as lots of demand, same supply, prices skyrocket.

This will just cause 500,000 less spaces for the children of working mothers and fathers who are going to work and replacing those 500,000 spaces with parents who are on welfare taking some college courses.

Even working families who don't have have state subsidies will pay much more as the demand will go up by 500,000 to make room for university students children who will have complimentary childcare while the supply of workers likely stays the same.

Many states already have massive day-care shortages with very long waits. This would just drive up the demand for daycare and the costs for working parents would skyrocket nationwide because there isn't that many people these interested in working in daycares as they can make $15 an hour many other ways with far less responsibility.

Thing is in a state like NY they will graduate and the entire paycheck aftert tax will go to daycare centers anyway even if they get a decent job so why bother?
Yeah? Do you think it will cost more than the billions we are giving to Big Ag at the current moment?

Old 02-03-2020, 04:04 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
In the meantime, nobody has commented on my brilliant solution:

Make volunteer work in the daycare center part of the program, so that each parent puts in a certain number of hours watching the kids. It doesn't force other people (as in taxpayers) to cover the cost of daycare, AND it gives the student/mother some actual on-hands training. Ta-da. Problem solved.

P.S. Actually, I just remembered back to my nursery school days. I suppose my parents had to pay something for it, but in addition each mother had to work one afternoon per week in the school helping out. Now that I think about it, I guess it was a way to hold down the tuition.
It cost pre school teachers or their employer school $125.00 to get their finger prints and security check required by the state of NY to work in a classroom. How many volunteers are up for paying for their security clearance?

Old 02-03-2020, 05:22 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its for student-parents.
Why would student non parents need childcare?
So the student non-parents should pitch in to pay for the daycare needs of parents? Let the parents share the babysitting with one another through a "banking system" of credits for hours watched.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Don't mean to poo poo her idea but you can't just willy nilly have people volunteer to watch kids these days. just the way it is..
Well then, parents have to pay to get the people they want. Or, they can delay their college years for a few years until their own kids are in school and daycare costs are minimal. The answer isn't always: let's have someone else pay for it!

Old 02-03-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It cost pre school teachers or their employer school $125.00 to get their finger prints and security check required by the state of NY to work in a classroom. How many volunteers are up for paying for their security clearance?
It would be a lot cheaper for the one-time free of $125 to be paid for by others than to have ALL the daycare costs paid for by others. It's not right to expect other people to pay for everything; we are already paying for childrens' educations through 12th grade, AND paying for free lunches and free breakfasts AND paying for ESOL classes AND paying to offset college costs via subsidized federal loans (or, if poor enough, Pell Grants). Now you expect people to pay to babysit the kids of college students too??

Old 02-03-2020, 05:36 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
In the meantime, nobody has commented on my brilliant solution:

Make volunteer work in the daycare center part of the program, so that each parent puts in a certain number of hours watching the kids. It doesn't force other people (as in taxpayers) to cover the cost of daycare, AND it gives the student/mother some actual on-hands training. Ta-da. Problem solved.

P.S. Actually, I just remembered back to my nursery school days. I suppose my parents had to pay something for it, but in addition each mother had to work one afternoon per week in the school helping out. Now that I think about it, I guess it was a way to hold down the tuition.
you can lower the cost - and I agree generally should - through some system that requires a time contribution to the program. At the same time, it's very likely these parents are both going to school and working a job. Could be part-time, could be full-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies